Confirmed with Link: WBS have signed Jake Guentzel to an ATO

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Suprised we didnt just sign his elc right away. But maybe this is done so we dont lose a year of the elc contract?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Suprised we didnt just sign his elc right away. But maybe this is done so we dont lose a year of the elc contract?

Or we might not want to use up a contract spot if Guentzel doesn't show that his game can translate over the next few games and PO. :dunno:

EDIT: Disclaimer, I have not really followed his development at all, just spitballing here.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Yes. It's pretty standard for drafted college players to sign ATOs rather than ELCs for that reason and because of the 50 contracts limit...no clue where the Penguins stand on that, but we took upon a bunch of contracts at the deadline so we're probably pretty close.

Guentzel will get an ELC at the end of the season without a doubt. Him signing this basically signifies that he's forgoing his senior season, which was to be expected. Guentzel had 46 points as a junior on a team that only saw 4 players hit the 20 point plateau.

Last edited:

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Yes. It's pretty standard for drafted college players to sign ATOs rather than ELCs for that reason and because of the 50 contracts limit...no clue where the Penguins stand on that, but we took upon a bunch of contracts at the deadline so we're probably pretty close.

Guentzel will get an ELC once the season ends.
We're at 48 contracts at the moment ... I don't know the difference, but Rowney contract will kick in directly next season

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
We're at 48 contracts at the moment ... I don't know the difference, but Rowney contract will kick in directly next season

Rowney has a AHL deal running through the end of the season making his NHL deal is essentially an extension. Guentzel doesn't have a contract, so if he signed he'd be contract #49 right away.

I'm honestly not 100% sure of the mechanics of the situation, I just know that ATOs are what to expect. The college kids getting ELCs with a couple weeks left on the season are typically undrafted free agents, where teams use that burned ELC year as a 'perk' of signing with them. Guentzel still has a year of college eligibility left, so his options are limited.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
They could also be keeping in mind the "2 years of professional hockey" eligibility for the expansion draft, in the event the league decides to expand a year later in 18-19, instead of the 17-18 we've been discussing.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Any scouting reports on him? What are we looking at here?

Needs more Oksanen too. Dude is gonna be a good free pick up for someone...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Small but skilled. Similar to Archibald in body type, though not nearly as quick, but probably has better hands / hockey sense.

I'm guessing Blueger will be doing this soon too. Isn't Guentzel ineligible to to back to college with this ATO?

Yes. Even just hiring an agent leaves them ineligible for the NCAA.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Needs more Oksanen too. Dude is gonna be a good free pick up for someone...

No scouting report (at least from me), but when I looked up his university roster (for this season), they have him listed at 5-11, 180 lbs. Which means he's probably around there. Not big (or even average) by any means... but there's plenty of players who've succeeded at the NHL level in that range. So at least he's grown out of the "small undersized forward" into someone who's closer to "average sized". Personally, my hopes for him when he was drafted were that he was a longshot prospect. They've changed since then, and if he doesn't pan out as a skilled top 9F I'd be disappointed.

But am glad to see that it looks like he'll be with the Pens/WBS next season.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
ZYDFVAJFDMOTPUM.20150724165332.jpg

Play the lookalike game with him

crosby is the sauce

Mar 24, 2010
Richmond, VA
Kinda looks like a blonde Any Samberg?

Anyways, I am excited to see the kid play and how his hockey IQ translates to the AHL. From what I could tell that is one of his strong points.

Edit: also, does this mean he is going straight to the AHL for this, possibly for their next game?

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Kinda looks like a blonde Any Samberg?

Anyways, I am excited to see the kid play and how his hockey IQ translates to the AHL. From what I could tell that is one of his strong points.

Edit: also, does this mean he is going straight to the AHL for this, possibly for their next game?

He's already practicing with them, so maybe.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Hope I'm wrong about him, but I'm not enthusiastic about this player at all.

I wasn't when he was drafted in 2013. I mean he was a 5-9 153lb skilled forward who was at least 4 years away from the NHL - if he was ever going to make it. However, 3 years, 2 inches and 30 lbs later, I'm a lot more enthusiastic now then I was then. We've been looking for a skilled LW for our top 6... he's someone who has a decent chance to be that guy (I do not see him as a center at this level - or at least I do not like him as a C).

Could he still bust? Absolutely. And while he's still likely at least a year (if not two) away from being an NHLer, I think he has a decent chance at being a top 9 forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad