Wayback Machine - WBZ-TV Boston - 1978 and 1979

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
In the Hockey News Greatest games issue, they had 3 categories, NHL, International and Amateur.

Top 5 NHL:

1982 La vs Edmonton, Miracle on Manchester
1987 NYI vs Washington, Easter Epic
1979 Mtl vs Boston, Too Many Men
1994 NYR vs Jersey, The Guarantee
1936 Detroit vs Maroons, 6 overtimes

Greatest Intl was Miracle on ice, over 1972 Summit Series Game Eight

1975 New Year`s Eve only got an honourable mention.

If I made my own Habs top 3 list, that I watched:

The New Years Eve game,1975. No championship on the line but it was for bragging rights as the best team in the world. And like the Summit Series is new territory. Tretriak was awesome that night, was almost fitting it ended tied although the Habs were arguably dominate.

1971 Game two vs Boston. The Bruins had a great team and had won the Cup the year before. The Habs had missed the playoffs the year before (on the last night of the season). Bruins had smashed the record books in the regular season, won game one and were leading game two 5-1 in the second period. befoe Henri Richard scored late in the period to give the Habs a little hope. And then they came all the way back in the 3rd to stun Boston. Set the tone for the series.

1971 Habs vs Hawks Game Seven. Looked like the Hawks game until Lemaire scored one from way out. Tony Esposito wore contact lenses, which the Habs would have known because he played for them and he had some problems sometimes with long shots. And then Henri Richard, who had criticized coach Al MacNeil took care of the rest and Jean Béliveau got to skate around with the Cup in his final game.

On the international side, they didn't mention the deciding game of the first Canada Cup, another great game. Darryl Sittler scored the winner in ot. The teams then exchanged sweaters. Bobby Orr accepted the player of the tournament award wearing Oldrich Machac's Czech sweater. What a roster on Team Canada, arguably the best. Imagine a blueline of Orr, Potvin, Robinson, Savard & Lapointe!
Excellent choices. That game 2 in 71 vs the Bruins was akin to Rocky drawing blood on Drago!!!!!

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
  1. May 18, 1971, Montreal-Chicago, 12.41 million, 20.6 rating CBS
That number is astonishing as Chicago was blacked out.

That seems like some sort of mistake, especially with the Chicago market out of the picture.

How is that rating even possible for hockey? I mean, at the time there were what, like only 10 American teams in the league and highly concentrated up north?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That seems like some sort of mistake, especially with the Chicago market out of the picture.

How is that rating even possible for hockey? I mean, at the time there were what, like only 10 American teams in the league and highly concentrated up north?
1971 viewers only had over-the-air stations as cable did not exist.

1685228453732.png

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Back in early 70s NBC had a contract with NHL is why. After it expired wasn't big tv contract for a number of years.

Then 2 of greatest ever was playing, Orr and Howe. Beliveau and Hull was just a notch below. Only time in history that kind of skill together. Booby Orr too. He was kind of heart throb to the chicks. Hero to every kid. NHL was at its pinnacle then

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
  1. May 18, 1971, Montreal-Chicago, 12.41 million, 20.6 rating CBS
That number is astonishing as Chicago was blacked out.
The melodious voice of Dan Kelly! Remember it like yesterday. What great pipes that man had!!!!

Back in early 70s NBC had a contract with NHL is why. After it expired wasn't big tv contract for a number of years.

Then 2 of greatest ever was playing, Orr and Howe. Beliveau and Hull was just a notch below. Only time in history that kind of skill together. Booby Orr too. He was kind of heart throb to the chicks. Hero to every kid. NHL was at its pinnacle then
Very well put my friend!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad