Wayback Machine - WBZ-TV Boston - 1978 and 1979

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It was a war at that time. But at the end you will remember the good players and good games like this. The so-so seasons don't stand out and usually fade in memory. But the too many men game or upset of Boston and Chicago in '71 playoffs, Roy heroics in '93, the rookies in'86 or Robinson check on Dornhofer last forever.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
A few years ago, had the chance to re-watch the `too many men on the ice` game. The Bruins played a great game that night but one player just refused to lose for the Habs.

If folks ever have a chance to watch the game again, check out Guy Lafleur, especially in the third period. He turned it up another notch that night the way Sidney Crosby seems to do in the biggest games the last few years.

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
A few years ago, had the chance to re-watch the `too many men on the ice` game. The Bruins played a great game that night but one player just refused to lose for the Habs.

If folks ever have a chance to watch the game again, check out Guy Lafleur, especially in the third period. He turned it up another notch that night the way Sidney Crosby seems to do in the biggest games the last few years.

That was the most excited I've ever been for a goal. And it was a tying goal not even in a Final. Even better it was against the Cherry Bruins! I worshiped Guy in those days. :laugh:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
What I remember the most about that goal was the whole street erupted in cheers. It was a warm evening, had the windows open and a bunch of us were watching. When Guy scored, we all screamed and you could hear through the window other houses with the same reaction. It was just another example of how crazy this city gets when there's Habs playoff hockey going on. Will we ever witness this phenom again?

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
What I remember the most about that goal was the whole street erupted in cheers. It was a warm evening, had the windows open and a bunch of us were watching. When Guy scored, we all screamed and you could hear through the window other houses with the same reaction. It was just another example of how crazy this city gets when there's Habs playoff hockey going on. Will we ever witness this phenom again?

2009-2010 playoffs were like that.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

But how can that be ?

Lies , all lies I tells ya.

The Flower was a pure skill guy. No grit. How could he possibly have done that against a team not far removed from the Big Bad Bruins?

Only the gritty guys have a no quit CHaracter. Skill guys get called The Flower, and they have no CHaracter.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Don was funny there, not so much today.

Thanks for the clips Fen.

He's an old guy. I mean the brain gets older too. Like Bergeron he should retire but he's probably too senile to realize it so at this point it's all on the people who employs him.

I don't understand people who think Don still make sense when he talks.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I have watched it at least 5 times, I got so tired of the Bergevin Habs that I watched every bit of habs game footage from the 70s-80s that I could find. The placement of that shot to tie the game was pure sniper, so much talent.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
But how can that be ?

Lies , all lies I tells ya.

The Flower was a pure skill guy. No grit. How could he possibly have done that against a team not far removed from the Big Bad Bruins?

Only the gritty guys have a no quit CHaracter. Skill guys get called The Flower, and they have no CHaracter.
Lafleur is the guy who was probably the first one to the rink most games. I remember a clip of him alone after practice working on his shot with a semi circle of pucks he would shoot rapid fire at the net. He always played with alot of passion but that night was special , at least to me..

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
I have watched it at least 5 times, I got so tired of the Bergevin Habs that I watched every bit of habs game footage from the 70s-80s that I could find. The placement of that shot to tie the game was pure sniper, so much talent.
I`ve been rewatching the 1976 Canada Cup. Orr, Potvin, Robinson, Savard and Lapointe on the same blueline.

Awesome team to watch.

I remember reading that there isn't much left of the 1971 playoffs on tape, which is a shame. Two classic Habs series against the Bruins and Hawks, would be great to watch Jean Beliveau again.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
WBZ-TV in Boston is celebrating 70 years in business and last week aired this flashback.

This clip is hysterical as somebody from CKGM radio asked Don Cherry a dumb question after the 'Too Many Men' game.

Classic!!!

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
In the Hockey News Greatest games issue, they had 3 categories, NHL, International and Amateur.

Top 5 NHL:

1982 La vs Edmonton, Miracle on Manchester
1987 NYI vs Washington, Easter Epic
1979 Mtl vs Boston, Too Many Men
1994 NYR vs Jersey, The Guarantee
1936 Detroit vs Maroons, 6 overtimes

Greatest Intl was Miracle on ice, over 1972 Summit Series Game Eight

1975 New Year`s Eve only got an honourable mention.

If I made my own Habs top 3 list, that I watched:

The New Years Eve game,1975. No championship on the line but it was for bragging rights as the best team in the world. And like the Summit Series was new territory. Vladislav Tretiak was awesome that night, was almost fitting it ended tied although the Habs were arguably dominate.

1971 Game two vs Boston. The Bruins had a great team and had won the Cup the year before. The Habs had missed the playoffs the year before (on the last night of the season). Bruins had smashed the record books in the regular season, won game one and were leading game two 5-1 in the second period. before Henri Richard scored late in the period to give the Habs a little hope. And then they came all the way back in the 3rd to stun Boston. Set the tone for the series.

1971 Habs vs Hawks Game Seven. Looked like the Hawks game until Lemaire scored one from way out. Tony Esposito wore contact lenses, which the Habs would have known because he played for them and he had some problems sometimes with long shots. And then Henri Richard, who had criticized coach Al MacNeil took care of the rest and Jean Béliveau got to skate around with the Cup in his final game.

On the international side, they didn't mention the deciding game of the first Canada Cup, another great game. Darryl Sittler scored the winner in ot. The teams then exchanged sweaters. Bobby Orr accepted the player of the tournament award wearing Oldrich Machac's Czech sweater. What a roster on Team Canada, arguably the best. Imagine a blueline of Orr, Potvin, Robinson, Savard & Lapointe!

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
In the Hockey News Greatest games issue, they had 3 categories, NHL, International and Amateur.

Top 5 NHL:

1982 La vs Edmonton, Miracle on Manchester
1987 NYI vs Washington, Easter Epic
1979 Mtl vs Boston, Too Many Men
1994 NYR vs Jersey, The Guarantee
1936 Detroit vs Maroons, 6 overtimes

Greatest Intl was Miracle on ice, over 1972 Summit Series Game Eight

1975 New Year`s Eve only got an honourable mention.

If I made my own Habs top 3 list, that I watched:

The New Years Eve game,1975. No championship on the line but it was for bragging rights as the best team in the world. And like the Summit Series is new territory. Tretriak was awesome that night, was almost fitting it ended tied although the Habs were arguably dominate.

1971 Game two vs Boston. The Bruins had a great team and had won the Cup the year before. The Habs had missed the playoffs the year before (on the last night of the season). Bruins had smashed the record books in the regular season, won game one and were leading game two 5-1 in the second period. befoe Henri Richard scored late in the period to give the Habs a little hope. And then they came all the way back in the 3rd to stun Boston. Set the tone for the series.

1971 Habs vs Hawks Game Seven. Looked like the Hawks game until Lemaire scored one from way out. Tony Esposito wore contact lenses, which the Habs would have known because he played for them and he had some problems sometimes with long shots. And then Henri Richard, who had criticized coach Al MacNeil took care of the rest and Jean Béliveau got to skate around with the Cup in his final game.

On the international side, they didn't mention the deciding game of the first Canada Cup, another great game. Darryl Sittler scored the winner in ot. The teams then exchanged sweaters. Bobby Orr accepted the player of the tournament award wearing Oldrich Machac's Czech sweater. What a roster on Team Canada, arguably the best. Imagine a blueline of Orr, Potvin, Robinson, Savard & Lapointe!
International,The '87 Canada Cup final game for me. Gretzky to Lemeiux, Murphy is the wheel man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad