RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
If one of the following does not happen, the team is absolutely cooked:
- Markstrom returning to number 1 goalie status
- Monahan becoming un-bad
- Tkachuk having a bounceback season
- Someone besides Andersson/Hanifin becoming an offensive threat from the back end

This is a roster with a hilariously low ceiling. Whats the plan here? Is there a plan? Signing Coleman (which might look good, might not) and Markstrom (could be a scary contract) to long term deals?

Watching the Ducks tonight made me sad, because even though they are objectively have a bad roster (who just beat the Flames, by the way), they have some hope, they have some exciting young talent to look forward to.

No one's coming to save the Flames, theres no prospects on the horizon who are ready to contribute. And even if we did have any, anyone thinking they would be given any leash under this management/coaching staff is kidding themselves.

I'd rather see a complete teardown than watch 82 games of low-event hockey, on a one-way path the a 20th place finish, while player values take a gradual descent into the abyss.

Sell a rebuild to the fans, because this is a roster with ZERO elite talent. Only player I care about keeping is Mang.

And sure, bump this thread when the they go on their annual 8 game winning streak in February or whatever, but its not going to change the fact that the Flames have a junk roster, and will for the foreseeable future.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Monahan is giving off Heatley/Cheechoo vibes. The guy is clearly suffering post surgery, is shamelessly targeted, he obviously cannot defend himself and nobody else is interested to have his back.

Cheechoo had 23 goals in 2007-8, surgery, then 12 goals in 2008-9, then five goals, on waivers and out of the league
Heatley had 24 goals in 2011-12, next year he gets injured, plays 32 games. Year after 12 goals in a full season, then 6 games with the Ducks and out of the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
I think it's a year or two late. This team is destined for another mediocre draft pick, with no playoffs or a first round exit at best. I would love to proven wrong but I do not see it happening with this group.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I think Mangiapane and Dube both looked fantastic. The Flames played a TON in the ducks end. They ran into a very hot goalie, thats hockey. Onto the next!

Reactions: Darth Vladar

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I shall give them 15 games until the blowup button needs to be pressed, no way we can let Gaudreau go without getting a playoff series win or a futures trade

Reactions: 23Monahan

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think Mangiapane and Dube both looked fantastic. The Flames played a TON in the ducks end. They ran into a very hot goalie, thats hockey. Onto the next!

Those two have good chemistry.
Really would love to the Dube moved down the middle, and Coleman put in the top 6.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Johnny is a great player but he looks completely different against the Oilers vs the Ducks. Same with Lindholm.

Tkachuk is a complementary player, not a core.

Monahan is cooked

Except Tkachuk, can’t win with these guys and Tkachuk needs major help and he wants to get paid like a core ….

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Johnny is a great player but he looks completely different against the Oilers vs the Ducks. Same with Lindholm.

Tkachuk is a complementary player, not a core.

Monahan is cooked

Except Tkachuk, can’t win with these guys and Tkachuk needs major help and he wants to get paid like a core ….

It's literally just a case of improper pecking order.
Simple as that.

The pieces are there for Calgary to be a pretty good team, minus some questionable defence pairings, but there's a lack of proper order.
  • Johnny Gaudreau as a teams' best offensive player, ranks what? 20th in the league? Maybe lower?
  • Elias Lindholm as a teams' top centre, ranks what? 20th in the league?
  • Tkachuk is another top 30-40 guy in the league in terms of forwards.

Slide in Eichel
  • Eichel, when healthy, is a top 5-6 centre on the planet. All of a sudden, Gaudreau is your #2 guy in terms of having to create offence.
  • Lindholm now moves down to the 2C role. If he's a top 20-25ish centre in the NHL right now, how many teams are going to like having to match-up their top 6 against Calgary's.
  • Matthew Tkachuk now has less pressure to be 'the guy' in Calgary, and can play at the level where he shit disturbs, scores, does everything he needs to do.
This team is just built incorrectly. Most teams get a star, and then build around the star. Calgary sort of build around a star they never had.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This team is just built incorrectly. Most teams get a star, and then build around the star. Calgary sort of build around a star they never had.
We actually did have a top tier star for about 3-4 years - Norris caliber Gio. Is it any surprise that we looked our best when he had a guy who was around the best in the league at his position?

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
We actually did have a top tier star for about 3-4 years - Norris caliber Gio. Is it any surprise that we looked our best when he had a guy who was around the best in the league at his position?

Brodie shouldn't be forgotten too. Brodie is probably a top 5 productive dman in franchise history. It's a shame we couldn't retain him considering he was homegrown and there was no apparent heir to him.

I've said it before, but IMO, the number 1 key to being successful in today's game is the ability to transition the puck from the backend. Team's pinch more than ever before, jump into the play to provide an extra attacker, run the PP etc. You need mobility and puck moving ability on the backend or else it stalls your offense in a game where speed is a premium.

Our defense is horrific. Who the hell is quarterbacking the powerplay?? Where does our transition game from the backend come from??? Why is no one taking this seriously?? BRAD

This wasn't hard to see before the season started considering Brad's offseason moves.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Brodie shouldn't be forgotten too. Brodie is probably a top 5 productive dman in franchise history. It's a shame we couldn't retain him considering he was homegrown and there was no apparent heir to him.

I've said it before, but IMO, the number 1 key to being successful in today's game is the ability to transition the puck from the backend. Team's pinch more than ever before, jump into the play to provide an extra attacker, run the PP etc. You need mobility and puck moving ability on the backend or else it stalls your offense in a game where speed is a premium.

This wasn't hard to see before the season started considering Brad's offseason moves.
A big reason Brodie left is because treliving made it public he wanted to trade him for Kadri. Didn't get the Kadri deal done and then Brodie went to the leafs for free on free agency anyways. More great asset management from our gm!

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Wasn't just the attempted trade. In free agency Tre-livingbadly prioritized getting Markstrom signed over Brodie. The Leafs made Brodie their focus and so, feeling spurned, he went with them.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Crazy in just a few years we went from having one if the best pairings in the nhl that could play 20+ minutes every night against anyone to having neither and having literally 0 to show for it

Could still easily, for the pretty same cap hit they're paying now - 22.750 million, be this;

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - Kylington
Stone/who ever

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
A big reason Brodie left is because treliving made it public he wanted to trade him for Kadri. Didn't get the Kadri deal done and then Brodie went to the leafs for free on free agency anyways. More great asset management from our gm!

Ive told this story recently on the armchair thread, and may be running the risk of getting an eye roll or two, but ill tell it again, as it came up so organically lol;

So I ran into my “source” (highschool buddy of Brodies) on the treliving/Brodie contract negotiation and basically it came down to the fact that Brodie had just built a house in lighthouse cove where he planned to retire/spend summers/etc. That was equipped with an elevator and all kinds of accessibility stuff for his wife. He said he would sign if the team basically handled the selling of his house, which most of the time just means buying it outright from him and then selling it through a realtor to someone else. Basically takes the burden of selling it yourself. And to move all of his/his wife’s personal belongings:furniture etc to that were in the house to calgary . Treliving said “ that’s unrealistic” so Brodie walked. Said after 9 years he deserved more way respect than he was given. Also said that treliving acts like he’s paying the contracts out of his own pocket , which I don’t really get but ya.""

also said that detroit offered 0.5 mill more a season AAV, but chose Toronto.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

This is not about one game, it should be about can the this team contend in the playoffs?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Also said that treliving acts like he’s paying the contracts out of his own pocket , which I don’t really get but ya."".

Treliving as a manager has a salary cap around which every contract must fit. Even if the owners have no salary ceiling, Treliving has a cap ceiling to contend with. He also probably has internal budgets of some sort including coaching, buyout dollars, AHL salaries etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad