OT: Way off topic - Lawn care

Jerk Store*

Hey guys, so, I've been quite depressed about my lawn the last couple of years, especially my backyard. I bought the place new in 2007 and I think the soil might be thin... Anyway, all it is now is weeds, just so much of it, and was pulling some out today (gave up, there's just way too much) and saw these freakishly big grubs.

Anything you would suggest? Is there any lawn care companies in the area that offer a treatment and if so what might it cost?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hey guys, so, I've been quite depressed about my lawn the last couple of years, especially my backyard. I bought the place new in 2007 and I think the soil might be thin... Anyway, all it is now is weeds, just so much of it, and was pulling some out today (gave up, there's just way too much) and saw these freakishly big grubs.

Anything you would suggest? Is there any lawn care companies in the area that offer a treatment and if so what might it cost?

Grubs already? You are in a tough spot, I'm afraid. Any lawn company can help your lawn, I went with Nutrilawn last year. I have tried them all and they all suck, but I found these guys half decent so I will give them a shot.

If you think the soil is thin you may be best getting a lot of topsoil delivered and throw it all over and re-seed. Depending on your budget you may want to re-sod properly.

My builder skimped on the base and I was throwing bags of topsoil all summer and let it work its way through the grass.

SelleckStache

Mar 12, 2007
Ottawa
Just adding topsoil and seeding on top won't fix the weeds, or the grubs.

Kill it and start from scratch. If you do it on your own, it's not that big (or expensive) of a job - depending on the size of your lawn of course.
Just takes time of course.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Don't know about lawn care companies... I am cheap and wouldn't use them.

You could try putting a bunch of small dishes of with a little beer in them all over your yard. Grubs will be attracted to them and die after ingesting a bit. It would only be a feasible attempt if you have a small lawn I guess, and probably wouldn't get all the grubs.

I would also spread a thin, thin level of soil all over the lawn and then seed it and rake it in. Reseed it again and again... Without raking after the first time. Never let the lawn get dry. It could look good soon. But as it gets hot and dry in july and august the grubs will thrive and kill the grass worse. When it is hot and dry keep watering. Keep trying the beer and killing the grubs.

If you have a small lawn it would be feasible and cheap to approach it this way and do it yourself. Overkill on the seeding can never hurt. Obviously keep pulling weeds. If it is big lawn then doing it like this would be too much work.

Not sure if the chemicals they use to kill grubs and fertilize end up burning your lawn up as well as the grubs. Key is getting deeper roots for grass and thicker grass cover. If you keep wet the grass will be able to have deeper roots.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Might be a dumb question, but wouldn't grubs be normal at this time of year? all of the insect larva will be hatching from their eggs, or whatever it is they do?

My problem is my neighbours have the worst yard ever, and their weed-filled yard is spilling into mine. If I re-sod, it won't do much if they continue to do nothing.

I've come to accept that my grass is a goner. I am trying to grow an appreciation for the power of weeds.

I do have one solid patch of grass that I defended like a North Korean last summer though. I was taunting the surrounding weeds with names like, "Puppet Grass" and I was threatening to spray them with Anti-Weed stuff, but really it was just water in a squirt bottle.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
You could always go for an alternative to grass, like creeping thyme. I don't get the obsession with grass myself and will be using the thyme as a nice low maintence backyard ground cover. It smells awsome and needs zero upkeep.

Jerk Store*

Might be a dumb question, but wouldn't grubs be normal at this time of year? all of the insect larva will be hatching from their eggs, or whatever it is they do?

My problem is my neighbours have the worst yard ever, and their weed-filled yard is spilling into mine. If I re-sod, it won't do much if they continue to do nothing.

I've come to accept that my grass is a goner. I am trying to grow an appreciation for the power of weeds.

I do have one solid patch of grass that I defended like a North Korean last summer though. I was taunting the surrounding weeds with names like, "Puppet Grass" and I was threatening to spray them with Anti-Weed stuff, but really it was just water in a squirt bottle.

lol, well, a member PM'd me and suggested going all clover. I think I might give that a try. There's so many weeds though, but it's inexpensive and super green, hehe.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I moved last summer and had the good fortune of getting a tonne of brand new sod in a heatwave. I had irrigation installed and had a lovely 700 water bill. But the lawn was weed free and thick which kept the weeds away. It was amazing seeing how the weeds had no space to grow and were actually growing on top of my grass, easy to pick out and if I didn't it would have died soon anyways.

Weed Out works really well too if you are trying to keep weeds off your lawn.

Liliaceae

hockey
Jun 21, 2007
Canada

Same thing here so we've given up. We tried to stop the weeds but our neighbors just don't care so there's no use for us to keep trying. :/

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

I understand that we are in different grow zones and I don't even know if they sell the products where you live that are listed in the attached lawn calendar, but I live in Virginia and have been following this calendar and my lawn looks great. Now the items/products that are listed can be expensive but I swear by the lawn fertilizer Turf Trust.

http://radiogardensense.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/calendar2013.79133649.pdf

enviro61

Sep 12, 2006
Ottawa
I hired Nutril-Lawn last year and it was an amazing turn around for my lawn as well as my neighbours. You have to keep on top of them when they come to fertalize and weed kill to make sure they are thorough. They have hired help who often are not overly interested the job as well as you would do your own lawn.

Also, they hound you with unsolicited calls once the new season approaches. Again though, I have to admit the grass was freakin amazing and we received tons of compliments on it.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Thanks to the Ontario pesticide ban, you can't get anything effective to kill your grubs here. If they are being honest, the lawn care companies will tell you that the alternative product they are forced to use is pretty spotty. For grubs, your best bet is to make a run to the States, and get some product that actually works.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa

I have exactly the same problem. The builders skimped on the top soil. Given the shape and position of my lot, the lawn can't be watered enough and it dries out and dies. (I live in Quebec and we can only water at night every 3-5(??) in the morning every second day.)

I am thinking about adding a lot more top soil and installing a sprinkler system.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I embrace weeds on my lawn. They are easy to cut with a mower and slow down the grass growth.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Nutrilawn will also do a nematode treatment which will attack the white grubs, i believe you can also order nematodes and do it yourself.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Most companies use Nematoes as a treatment for grub control. The problem with that is that they are so tiny they are invisible to the eye & I always have a tough time paying for a treatment for something I can't see, you basically take their word for it. Canadian Tire sells Nematoes in a sponge format that you spray on your grass through a hose & jar combination, I'm never sure how well it works. Corn glueten now seems to be the treatment for weeds since the pesticide ban & it works okay.

Personally, I like to aerate my yard every spring. Every other year I throw a load of top soil after aerating the lawn & throw some seed around. I fertilize the lawn about four to six times a year with a combination of fertilizer & corn glueten. I buy the corn glueten in pure form from Ritchies & mix it with a good Scotts fertilizer. Scotts IMO is the best & they also sell a combination of fertilizer & corn glueten in the same bag. Corn glueten if put down in the early spring is suppose to prevent the weeds from starting. You will still get weeds but hopefully less, pulling them out or using a weed spray also helps to control them. I use corn glueten mixed with fertilizer throughout the Spring, Summer & Fall. If you continue to feed your lawn throughout the season it will keep your lawn thick which will keep the amount of weeds down, however, you will then need to cut your grass more often. Can't win.

Keep in mind that it's not cheap & that I can spend a few hundred dollars each year for aerating, earth & fertilizer & it can be a lot of work. If you have a truck you can rent an aerator & pick up dirt yourself to keep costs down a little, Carp Road has a place that sells earth. Ever since the pesticide ban most people are having problems with weed & grub control. Oh, some companies now have something called Hyrdo Seed, I think it is, sometimes you can see it on the sides of roads that the city or townships use. It almost looks like a green foam which is laid over the lawn & watered regularly. You may also want to consider an irrigation system to assure you water the grass on a regular basis which is probably the key to nice grass, watering regularly but they are not cheap either. Good luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad