OT: Watcha reading?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Art of Fielding is a very, very good book.

Although I have read them before, as soon as I make my way through my book stack, I need to start my Russia project. Master & Margarita, Dr. Zhivago, Anna Karenina & War & Peace. All in a row. Ambitious or crazy? Spread the Tolstoy out? Lots of peasants and lots of farming!

The only one I haven't read is Anna Karenina. They're all really good though very long and War and Peace is over 2000 pages. That took a long time for me.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The only one I haven't read is Anna Karenina. They're all really good though very long and War and Peace is over 2000 pages. That took a long time for me.
You need to read Anna. I read them all but want to power read through all 4 in a row. That may take quite a while.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Art of Fielding is a very, very good book.

Although I have read them before, as soon as I make my way through my book stack, I need to start my Russia project. Master & Margarita, Dr. Zhivago, Anna Karenina & War & Peace. All in a row. Ambitious or crazy? Spread the Tolstoy out? Lots of peasants and lots of farming!
Craaaaaaaazy.

How the hell do you keep all the Alexanders straight? :laugh:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
'The Anarchist who shared my name'--Pablo Martin Sanchez. Fantastic. Pre-Spanish Civil War Spain. The idea for the book came about after Martin Sanchez googled his own name on his computer and it shot back at him a man who was executed in the 1920's for his part in an abortive attempt to overthrow the Primo de Rivera dictatorship. Martin Sanchez began researching and eventually found a living niece of this man living in a nursing home who told him many stories and details about his life which he uses to fictionalize into a historical novel.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I started reading Eve’s Hollywood by Eve Babitz recently and I can’t put it down. It’s a collection of essays about Eve Babitz growing up and living in LA, it’s really hard to explain exactly what it is and what she’s doing with it, but it’s really fun and thoughtful and written incredibly well. She’s kind of like an edgier and wittier Joan Didion, and there’s a mountain of names dropped in it, and the dedication for the book is like 5 pages long

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019
Currently reading The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner. I went into it completely blind. Really incredible read so far and I’m looking forward to a reread now that I’m making sense of the nonlinear narrative.

Going through all of Faulkner’s works is going to be a goal of mine as I also loved As I Lay Dying for its experimental prose and southern gothic setting.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
So my new boss wants us to try to read one motivational or self-help book each quarter. Anyone have any recommendations? I want to start off with "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" but I'm not sure if he'd think I'm mocking him.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
So my new boss wants us to try to read one motivational or self-help book each quarter. Anyone have any recommendations? I want to start off with "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" but I'm not sure if he'd think I'm mocking him.

I am seriously struggling to get into that book (2 cracks at it and I'm only about 20 pages in). So far it's just common-sense and pretentiousness wrapped up as 'alternate thinking', but maybe I just already didn't give a f*** (or the style is just not for me)....

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I am seriously struggling to get into that book (2 cracks at it and I'm only about 20 pages in). So far it's just common-sense and pretentiousness wrapped up as 'alternate thinking', but maybe I just already didn't give a **** (or the style is just not for me)....
Lots of the reviews on Amazon agree with you.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
For a more hockey theme I'll recommend "The Art of Scouting" by Shane Malloy. Give a nice insight on how scouts work in the CHL scene.

Also if someone knows of any goof books regarding scouting and specialy the draft, please give me a shout. I really find it interesting how and why scouts decide on a multiple million organisations future.

Reactions: Ori

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Right now, "Our Cosmic Perspective" for my astronomy class. Not quite as exciting as it might sound.
upload_2019-2-16_20-27-53.png

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I bought that book and liked it for a little and then felt it was poorly written and I honestly don't know what qualifies the dude to give life advice.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm about to start "the last boat out of Shanghai". It's about people that fled Maoist China. Not usually the type of book I'd read but it sounded interesting and while it had few reviews (it's a pretty new book), they were glowing. So I'm excited. Also unlike my last book, this one is pretty long. So if it's good it'll last longer.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Anyone read People's History of the United States? I cannot put it away. Keep on reading and stopping. Reading something else and coming back to it.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Has anyone here read any Michel Houellebecq? I’ve been meaning to get any of his books for months now, and I was about to order a copy of Platform, but since it’s Friday and there’s no real rush to order it right this second, I figured I’d throw it out here to see if I should start somewhere else

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Just got The Auschwitz Volunteer : Beyond Bravery - Witold Pilecki from the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library

This guy is a genuine hero. I am a history nerd, and I only knew of some of this. I knew there was some Polish underground reporting of the concentration camps in Poland, but wasn't aware how the information was gathered. This guy got himself THROWN INTO AUSCHWITZ to gather information for the Polish Home Army! The book I'm about to read is his direct reports about conditions inside.

How did I find out about this guy?

As I've commented on the music thread, I am a hard rock/metal guy. A friend of mine introduced me to a Swedish metal band, Sabaton, that does songs about historical military battles and people involved in them. My daughter (10) also is into rock/metal and I introduced her via You Tube to Sabaton. In listening to their songs, we came upon, Inmate 4859, which is about Pilecki. That led me to do research.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Has anyone here read any Michel Houellebecq? I’ve been meaning to get any of his books for months now, and I was about to order a copy of Platform, but since it’s Friday and there’s no real rush to order it right this second, I figured I’d throw it out here to see if I should start somewhere else
Have to be honest. Heard lots, and read none.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad