News Article: Wasp species named in honor of Bruins’ Tuukka Rask

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I kid you not.

The Bruins’ ace goalie, Tuukka Rask, will find his name on another prestigious roster this spring: a list of newly discovered wasp species from East Africa.

Rask’s insect namesake, Thaumatodryinus tuukkaraski, was discovered in the Teita Hills of Kenya by a team of entomologists that happened to include an admiring Boston sports fan who has closely followed his home teams despite moving to Africa more than 25 years ago.

Thus, Rask — who won the 2014 Vezina Trophy as the best goalie in the National Hockey League — will have the unusual honor of a callout in the scientific journal Acta Entomologica Musei Nationalis Pragae.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...sk-wasp-too/ozCTPFjS5SFb0tyfDiftEJ/story.html

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I kid you not.

The Bruins’ ace goalie, Tuukka Rask, will find his name on another prestigious roster this spring: a list of newly discovered wasp species from East Africa.

Rask’s insect namesake, Thaumatodryinus tuukkaraski, was discovered in the Teita Hills of Kenya by a team of entomologists that happened to include an admiring Boston sports fan who has closely followed his home teams despite moving to Africa more than 25 years ago.

Thus, Rask — who won the 2014 Vezina Trophy as the best goalie in the National Hockey League — will have the unusual honor of a callout in the scientific journal Acta Entomologica Musei Nationalis Pragae.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...sk-wasp-too/ozCTPFjS5SFb0tyfDiftEJ/story.html

Another bang up job of "journalism" by the Globe.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
I kid you not.

This sounds more like Polish than Finnish....I do not think Rask the Wasp is going to like this and there is no way Rask the Wasp will be swatted because he is the one that swats those terrible Verteegious's that linger to close to his nest.;)

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Wasp named for Tuukka

Thaumatodryinus tuukkaraski
The name also fit for other reasons. The project that led to the discovery of the species was underwritten by the government of Finland, Rask’s home country. The wasp is yellowish and black, similar to the Bruins’ colors. The grasping front legs of the female have claspers that look vaguely like goalie gloves.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
How long before someone uses Tuukkaraski as a username?

This is strangely awesome.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I kid you not.

That's fantastic :laugh:

SToMper!

Feb 27, 2002
Sand Bar
www.shorelinemediapro.com
I kid you not.

Thanks Wally! A nice diversion from trade-gate! Hopefully it eases his disposition a little.

chicoutimicucumber

Aug 4, 2009
Rask said he has heard of dogs and cats being named Tuukka around New England. But nothing else that he knows of. No babies. Definitely no species.
Aww Tuukks. Beat the Habs enroute to the Cup, babe, and I guarantee all the firstborn for a generation shall be yours. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad