May 26, 2011
121 Points - Presidents'
Lost in 7 to 8th Seed Habs

107 Points - 2nd in League - 1st in East
Swept by 5th Seed Tampa Bay in 2nd round

3rd place in East
1st Round loss in 7 to 6th place Rangers

2nd in Metro
Win, but hands completely full with lower seeded Islanders. Barely win in 7 games after Kuznetsov's epic goal.

1st place 120 points - Presidents'
2nd Round loss to 2nd place Penguins

1st place 118 points - Presidents'
Hands full with 8th seeded Toronto Maple Leafs

Coaches: Bruce Boudreau, Dale Hunter, Adam Oates, Barry Trotz
Regulars: Backstrom, Ovechkin, Carlson (there's more...)

I'm wondering why it's so hard for the Capitals who work all season long to earn a points advantage to dispatch of teams that are lower seeded?

How can a team that is so dominant in the Regular Season be so much worse come playoff time?

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
It has to be in their heads at this point. I imagine you grip your stick a little tighter knowing the expectations and the years of playoff futility that precede you.

ltpato

Feb 27, 2015
MTL
According to Caps fan (I think), Backstrom is not very good in the playoffs...so I'm guessing if you're 1C isn't showing up like he's supposed to, the team my not succeed as they're supposed to.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
A lot of it is coaching.

Boudreaux has shown with other teams that he can't coach in the playoffs. He's doing it again right now.

Dale hunter? Adam oats? Sure .. good guys but .. were they good coaches?

Not to mention ..ghosts. some of the caps players have been through this a few times now. It gets in your head.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
According to Caps fan (I think), Backstrom is not very good in the playoffs...so I'm guessing if you're 1C isn't showing up like he's supposed to, the team my not succeed as they're supposed to.

Backstrom scores at a 61 point pace, Kuznetsov 29 point pace (both prorated to 82 game seasons)

The Caps aren't going to win anything if those 2 have to be relied on

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

Caps fans rarely admit this, at least on hf, they are too busy telling us how "underrated" he is to have time to discuss his post season no shows.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
The strange thing is they're not even getting burned on the same approach. They've tried the all-out offense thing, they've tried the shutdown grinding game under Hunter, they're somewhere in between right now with multiple elite players at each position. Despite this they're getting outplayed at even strength against a team with 4 defensemen, none of whom is considered a legit #1 by these boards.

They're bigger, arguably faster, more experienced, have better goaltending, and have a roughly equal coach, it just doesn't make sense. What do you even change to fix this?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The strange thing is they're not even getting burned on the same approach. They've tried the all-out offense thing, they've tried the shutdown grinding game under Hunter, they're somewhere in between right now with multiple elite players at each position. Despite this they're getting outplayed at even strength against a team with 4 defensemen, none of whom is considered a legit #1 by these boards.

They're bigger, arguably faster, more experienced, have better goaltending, and have a roughly equal coach, it just doesn't make sense. What do you even change to fix this?

Yet they haven't done the one thing that reliably yields success in the playoffs, have two way quality and depth at C and a legit Norris-level D-man with a two way game.

And really, in a cap era, the only way to get that would be to start over. Any solution to the Caps' problems would need to involve Ovechkin leaving or taking a lot less money.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think it's a bit much to be tearing apart the caps for being so 'bad' instead of just understanding the Leafs are a better team than most gave them credit for.

Leafs blew a lot of leads early in the year and lost a lot of shootout. Even going 50/50 in these would have had the team not much lower in the standings than Washington.

Leafs as every knew have a potent offense. They also have a starting goalie who is among the top 10 in the NHL, who goes ape **** in the playoffs, and a defense that is under rated.

Anyone watching these games who thinks Rielly and Gardiner are #4 D on a contender are out to lunch.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Yet they haven't done the one thing that reliably yields success in the playoffs, have two way quality and depth at C and a legit Norris-level D-man with a two way game.

And really, in a cap era, the only way to get that would be to start over. Any solution to the Caps' problems would need to involve Ovechkin leaving or taking a lot less money.

I mean the Leafs center depth isn't (much) better than Washington's, and the defense isn't even close. Carlson/Niskanen are infinitely closer to Norris-level than Rielly or Gardiner. That's ignoring the fact that the Caps have Shattenkirk, Orlov, Alzner, and Orpik behind them instead of Carrick, Hunwick, and borderline NHL filler.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I mean the Leafs center depth isn't (much) better than Washington's, and the defense isn't even close. Carlson/Niskanen are infinitely closer to Norris-level than Rielly or Gardiner. That's ignoring the fact that the Caps have Shattenkirk, Orlov, Alzner, and Orpik behind them instead of Carrick, Hunwick, and borderline NHL filler.

I'm as big a leafs hater as anyone but Reilly is a stud. He's not Norris level but Christ he's good.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

The thread isn't about this match-up, the thread is about the Caps over the entire Ovechkin/Backstrom era. In the playoffs, teams with worse rosters on paper win all the time. It's the playoffs and contenders need to adjust their game to the challenges posed by teams that are perhaps less talented overall but are very spirited.

The issue is that the Caps have not shown the ability to do that over a long time period. IMO the answer lies in the style of their best players. Playoffs hockey is basically 90% work with 10% desperation. The Caps don't do that style well and given everyone around their two stars has basically been changed once or twice, the fault probably rests with those stars.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Honestly, I think a lot of it is just bad luck. Washington doesn't really seem to ride momentum when it comes to playoffs either.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I think it's a bit much to be tearing apart the caps for being so 'bad' instead of just understanding the Leafs are a better team than most gave them credit for.

This. When the Caps picked up Shattenkirk with 19 games left in the season, that was supposed to be their final piece of the puzzle. People don't realize that the Leafs pulled off an identical record to the Caps over their final 19 games (despite the Leafs losing 3 of their last 4). Over the Leafs first 31 games they were on pace for an 82 point season. In the last 51 games of the regular season they played at 103 point pace. Over the last 18 games of the regular season they played at a 114 point pace. This isn't a fluke, the Leafs have legitimately got much better over the course of the season, and most people are too full of their own biases to accept that.

Last year the Caps had a hard time with Philly. Guess what? Philly finished the season going 15-5-3 (118 point pace). That is why they made the playoffs when two months out they were a write off. The Caps meanwhile finished had a record of 12-7-4 over the same span (sub 100 point pace).

Last edited:

illpucks

May 26, 2011
This. When the Caps picked up Shattenkirk with 19 games left in the season, that was supposed to be their final piece of the puzzle. People don't realize that the Leafs pulled off an identical record to the Caps over their final 19 games (despite the Leafs losing 3 of their last 4). Over the Leafs first 31 games they were on pace for an 82 point season. In the last 51 games of the regular season they played at 103 point pace. Over the last 18 games of the regular season they played at a 114 point pace. This isn't a fluke, the Leafs have legitimately got much better over the course of the season, and most people are too full of their own biases to accept that.

April 4th - During that so called run for the Leafs.

4-1 Capitals. Pure domination. Leafs score in last minute to negate the shutout. But that performance from the Capitals is nowhere to be seen come playoffs.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
There might be a seed of doubt in them at the moment but they'll be confident that they can do it and get past the Leafs. If they lose Game 3 then that seed of doubt gets bigger. Going behind in the series will be interesting as they've trailed for most of the series but a game trail is different to a score one.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm putting this on team leadership. It's the only thing that explains how one of the most talented teams in the league with a carousel of different coaches still can't find a way to come out for the playoffs. What I saw in them in Toronto. Was them trying to play regular season hockey during the playoffs. This team DOES NOT ramp it up for the Playoffs. So where does this place the blame? Ovie. Atleast from a leadership standpoint. They need to strip the C off Ovie and give it to a Canadian willing and able to lead. Simple as that.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
They're not even struggling. They're positive in all metrics, and their goalie has been fantastic. One more bounce their way, and they'd be coming into Toronto 2-0 lol. Leafs are a good team that are just giving them a run for their money (and it could be 2-0 for them too).

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

4-1 Capitals. Pure domination. Leafs score in last minute to negate the shutout. But that performance from the Capitals is nowhere to be seen come playoffs.

Yawn. 1 game. The Leafs on the second half of a back to back. Playing their backup.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

To be fair though. The Leafs had just gone on the road and won three straight games and after winning in Buffalo, played the next night against a rested Washington team.
The Leafs seemed gassed against Washington and two night later against Tampa.

Watching the two games, Ovi seems like just another guy out there. Sure doesn't look like a top scorer or player in the league.

As much criticism the Leafs defence has received on this site and others, it not that bad. It's average, but not having Polak will hurt.

And those ridiculous trade proposals having the rebuilding Leafs trading Nylander and Kapanen for some short term Dman help...well now seem even more ridiculous. I still think the Caps will win the series though.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
i actually said a lot that the leafs were a lot closer to washington than people thought, but uhh... it's 1-1, two games into the playoffs, let's calm down a little bit.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
It's been 2 games and the series is 1-1 lol You make it sound like we're in game 7 already.

Washington could win the next three games 5-1. You're trying to write history before it has been written.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad