Post-Game Talk: Washington Marion Barrys vs Toronto Rob Fords 7:07PM (Mod note: post #4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Eye test tells us Oshie is 1st line RW.

Brouwer, Ward and Fehr were good 3rd line players.

Williams is older, but he's absolutely capable of playing at 1RW too.

Kudos to GMBM. Fantastic summer 2015.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
A little depth scoring/D at the deadline, luck with health, and they're contenders for reals.

The way the young D have played, I would say unless Orlov stays banged up we might have our D depth already. Another wing for the 2nd or 3rd line would really solidify 3 rotating lines.

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
A couple of pics from last night. Don't want to embed them in case they're not resized. My brother took dozens more that he'll send to me. Took them with my Nexus 6P.

Holtby getting in the zone:

Link

My view of the game:

Link

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
May I say that I was disgusted last night having to watch Adam Oates explain how he coached Ovechkin and how he fixed his game.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Eh, maybe Ovechkin places some value on what Oates did for him?

I don't know I guess he isn't as mental as we all thought he was. I mean players he has worked with as a coach still look to him for guidance.

He was/is an arrogant clown. That doesn't mean he doesn't have some good nuggets of info or that he didn't do some good for certain players, but he was an absolutely awful head coach.

My original comment was also a George McPhee joke.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oates deserves the lion's share of the credit. There's NO doubt. That said, he's a tad smug for my liking. That was him as a player though too...not surprised at all how he came off.

Sep 19, 2008
From Reddit

QU3aytk.jpg

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
From Reddit

QU3aytk.jpg

That was the funniest part of the broadcast. The HNIC broadcasters pointed out during one of the breaks the difference in the goalies. They said the TO goalie looked tense while they showed Holtby singing along with the music being played on the pa system.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
so, your view is that -35, which was viewed by most as proof that Ovechkin was in fact awful, was "on track"?

the Trotz Ovechkin is the train rails.

You're using the most useless stat in hockey as an arguing point?

Given the choice between 38g and a -8 or 51g and -35, which season would you prefer? Team goals aside, I'd take 50g Ovy every time.

Oates capably massaged his ego back to the point where a really good coach could take him to the next level, which Trotz has done.

Not saying Trotz or another capable coach couldn't have done the same with Ovy, but it was Oates who did in fact turn him around.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Some guys really do need to watch a couple of games of Oates period as they've clearly forgotten how it looked like.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I don't agree that Oates turned Ovie around. He turned him into a turret who never handled the puck.

The -35 was mostly because the scheme sucked IMO, not as much a reflection on Ovie as Oates. The fact that that he was +47 better under Trotz is a little too stark to be a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad