GDT: Washington Jumbo Slices vs Detroit Little Caesars - 7:08pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
If its about winning, maclellan should be agressively hunting an option to replace brown in the top six. otherwise, a focus more on development should probably come into place. the ovi goals will come, there are still going to be plenty of talented player to set him up

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
If its about winning, maclellan should be agressively hunting an option to replace brown in the top six. otherwise, a focus more on development should probably come into place. the ovi goals will come, there are still going to be plenty of talented player to set him up
Ovi wants to be in the playoffs period. I don’t think he will accept not making the playoffs in his last years in the league. Something tells me he wouldn’t have signed up for that.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Who could possibly be available at this point that moves the needle in the top 6?

Timo Meier is really the only name I can think of but even then he’s another left-shot winger. He’d move the needle but it’s not an ideal fit, especially with a $10 million QO next year.

Are there any centers out there? Larkin was the only good center I could conceive being available but even then I doubt it.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Defensive scheme is to play 1-3-1. We do not have the speed to counter from that, but it certainly is hiding the teams overall deficiencies. Now imagine being an slower older offensive minded player asked to play this scheme. Are you excited or enthusiastic to play?

The eye test says certainly not. However, what's a coach to do when we have 40+ million on the IR?

More importantly, what's Bmac and Uncle Teddy going to do?

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Ovi could have 9 goals total in 12 games, as he has hit 3 crossbars. So I'm not worried about him. Caps can't be trading picks or players to temp replace spots to regulars that are injured. They have to mix and match vets with the young players, to tread water or be a little better of a team. The problem is, Lavi is a total prick about giving younger players proper playing time. His Achilles Heel is he relies too heavily on vets.

Mantha and Kuzy need to pick it up big time. They are too talented to not be producing every game. F Forsythe for not putting Mantha on the PP1 unit, as we know he can be a good shooter/goal scorer from that right side. If Strome/Mantha can be shooting threats from the right side, then opponents can't cheat on the PK. It will create more openings for OV, his point partner and whomever is in the bumper spot.

F the fancy shit! The team needs to play basic hockey, bear down and go to the net! Drove me nuts how many good scoring chances they didn't finish on!

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Who could possibly be available at this point that moves the needle in the top 6?

Timo Meier is really the only name I can think of but even then he’s another left-shot winger. He’d move the needle but it’s not an ideal fit, especially with a $10 million QO next year.

Are there any centers out there? Larkin was the only good center I could conceive being available but even then I doubt it.
i dont know man. call vancouver on garland? not sure he moves the needle much but i mean what else really is there to do. caps are in a very shitty situation right now

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I know it’s not the worst problem we have, but I hate when we pull the goalie. We are the worst, I have no idea if there are stats in that, but it’s almost automatic we won’t set anything up and we give up an empty net goal or two. I think we have a better chance to tie the game 5v5,

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I actually think that Lavis system is the only thing keeping us competitive. An entire top 6 injured, and the healthy "top 6" looks disengaged.
feels like when the entire top 6 looks disengaged there's something the team's system could be doing to facilitate and arrange more there.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They player fairly well but don’t have the horses up front to out score a bad Red Wings team .

I get BMac wants to give it a chance to see if they can find options from within the org but I have bad news, they won’t. He needs to get t this group some help soon.

Also, Gustafsson sucks in his own zone. Like good god. His gaps are bad and he is soft on the puck.

Wait, aren't you the guy who's been pounding the table for months about playing the prospects? Now after just a few games doing exactly that it's hopeless and the team needs outside help?

ANYWAY.

I see a lot of very good, smart, team play out there at times. It seems like they've been working on that and shouldn't abandon it, but the shooting has to continue. Even though they scored one goal on 34 shots they passed up even more, including several in the slot. Detroit scored all 3 goals in the slot area.

Husso was the difference in that game, imo, but Caps continue to lack solid defensive presence in front of the net. This has gone on all season.

That said, as others have noted there are some players who have to turn it up a bit. Kuzy and Mantha are not pulling their weight in terms of production, though both do sometimes contribute to the play in other ways.

The problem is they are decimated at RW. Sheary should never be a RW1 on a competitive team and I would argue Mantha is not qualified, either.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
For better or worse they really need Carlson back. Survival mode D usage can only last so long. 18/19 minutes for Gustafsson isn't going to work.

Overall I know they're short-handed but would their approach be that more formidable with more weapons? Their approach is weak, in part because they lack dominant players. But they also don't do much methodically to make anyone look any better offensively. It's just a lot of ham-fisted effort either way. There needs to be a much firmer grasp on what beyond defensive structure drives success. It's not vacating traffic areas to be sure. They've got to be firm on both sides of the puck if a low-level approach is to be viable.

After ARI they have a tough month ahead before Wilson returns. You wonder if the inherent struggle playing in survival mode, even with better goaltending, has enough of a path in a season where there will be many more challengers for a playoff spot. They need to find ways to get on a roll and instead seem more likely to just tread water at best. And, again, I'm not sure injuries change that too significantly. Carlson & Wilson are key but strong teams make it look easy. There's not much this team does that looks easy most nights.

Last edited:

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Wait, aren't you the guy who's been pounding the table for months about playing the prospects? Now after just a few games doing exactly that it's hopeless and the team needs outside help?

ANYWAY.

I see a lot of very good, smart, team play out there at times. It seems like they've been working on that and shouldn't abandon it, but the shooting has to continue. Even though they scored one goal on 34 shots they passed up even more, including several in the slot. Detroit scored all 3 goals in the slot area.

Husso was the difference in that game, imo, but Caps continue to lack solid defensive presence in front of the net. This has gone on all season.

That said, as others have noted there are some players who have to turn it up a bit. Kuzy and Mantha are not pulling their weight in terms of production, though both do sometimes contribute to the play in other ways.

The problem is they are decimated at RW. Sheary should never be a RW1 on a competitive team and I would argue Mantha is not qualified, either.
I think you may have me confused with someone else. I definitely have not been pounding the table to play prospects. I’ve said in the past the team needs to get younger but not necessarily playing prospects, younger established players that are acquired. At this teams lifecycle they don’t have the luxury for long development timelines. And yeah, I’ve been sensible and said they need to sh*t or get off the pot when it comes to deciding what to do with CMM.

ANYHOO

Yes, Kuzy and Mantha need to step it up.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
I think you may have me confused with someone else. I definitely have not been pounding the table to play prospects. I’ve said in the past the team needs to get younger but not necessarily playing prospects, younger established players that are acquired. At this teams lifecycle they don’t have the luxury for long development timelines. And yeah, I’ve been sensible and said they need to sh*t or get off the pot when it comes to deciding what to do with CMM.

ANYHOO

Yes, Kuzy and Mantha need to step it up.
What do think Lavy will teach them?

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia

Kuzmenko?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I know it’s not the worst problem we have, but I hate when we pull the goalie. We are the worst, I have no idea if there are stats in that, but it’s almost automatic we won’t set anything up and we give up an empty net goal or two. I think we have a better chance to tie the game 5v5,
That's been the case this year, but weren't they really good in that situation last year? I don't have stats either, but I feel like they got a handful of points by tying games late with the goalie out in 21-22.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Dear Hockey Gods
F*** YOU
not cool

Pretty good game as far as smart disciplined defensive game
But 1 goal ain't gonna cut it, shoulda had 3-4 in the 1st 40 min
ugh

at least McMic had his best showing oot there

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
After the Cayotes, its Oilers, Pens, Bolts x 2, Panthers, Blues, Avs, Flyers, Flames, Devils.

Thats a difficult schedule. My gut feeling is Lavi does not survive this.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Thanksgiving Day massacre part what???

After the Cayotes, its Oilers, Pens, Bolts x 2, Panthers, Blues, Avs, Flyers, Flames, Devils.

Thats a difficult schedule. My gut feeling is Lavi does not survive this.
Prediction on the points/record needed to survive? If he’s .500 with this crew in terms of possible points, seems pretty safe to me.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Im not into spending futures on this team right now. We'll be stuck in mediocrity forever if we go down that route.

If the Caps really do suck even after everyone returns from injuries, let it be.

Reactions: Peeri and Jags

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
feels like when the entire top 6 looks disengaged there's something the team's system could be doing to facilitate and arrange more there.

That's more of a motivation issue i think. We're the oldest team in the league and the old core has a Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad