OT: Washington Football Team: 2021 Draft and Post-Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Bets on whether they pick a guy in round 4 or later that they "had a first round grade on"?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
This should pair well with Fitz

This might sound crazy, but with this group of receivers and with the running backs currently on the team, they should consider running some sort of run and shoot offense. If everything comes together offensively, this could be an incredible air attack offense. They're going to be able to throw the ball all over the field and just wear out defenses.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Cam Sims and AGG are the only WRs over 6 ft tall. Not ideal.
Meh. Speed is what matters.

I really don’t care who they take tomorrow, as long as it’s good value, I’m happy.

4 seemingly good players, that are seen as pretty good value (none were off the board picks.....not even close), all at spots the team needs bolstering.

I think it’s really well thought out draft. Hopefully the players bring what they expect. If so, team got a lot better last 2 days.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So from what I can tell, a lot of D depth left in this draft, at DT, CB, and S. Those prospect areas seem flush. Take as many of them as you can moving on.

for offense, WR still has a lot of good players as well. Take another one.

Helps special teams and pumps the value.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It'll be very interesting if they don't take any QB.

I'll naturally be concerned it's because Ron is deluded into believing Allen just needs some time playing behind Fitzpatrick to put it all together. That's the sort of thinking we've been trained to expect for years. Hopefully it would be because they recognize that dropping young QBs into a half-built tire fire almost never works, and that the better plan is building the shit out of the team before getting someone next year.

Reactions: max21

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Why do people only think picks are good if someone has them mocked high? Just reading the threads you see the reaction to the lesser names and then cheering when you see someone on a top ten available list.
The tackle was a reach. Tell the heart warming story but there was a massive run on tackles and this guy looks like a guard to me with those feet. Very strong however.
I think they have selected players that can make the team and play so that’s great news. Few projects here though.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It'll be very interesting if they don't take any QB.

I'll naturally be concerned it's because Ron is deluded into believing Allen just needs some time playing behind Fitzpatrick to put it all together. That's the sort of thinking we've been trained to expect for years. Hopefully it would be because they recognize that dropping young QBs into a half-built tire fire almost never works, and that the better plan is building the shit out of the team before getting someone next year.
Warning: long post incoming.

I've been thinking a lot about this and I think your last sentence is spot on. The only QB I wanted them to trade up for this year was Fields but I think I'm ok with their approach of building the team first for a few reasons.

First, Fitz is as good a stopgap QB as you can find and they can probably get 1-2 years of above average QB play from him. Also, this year demand was the highest I can remember for a QB with relatively low supply. I think over half of the teams in the league were in the market for a QB this offseason and that number should decrease fairly significantly next year. Here are the teams that I think will or could be searching for a QB next year: Denver, NYG, Philly, WFT, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and New Orleans. Of course some team(s) with high expectations will totally tank and decide to move on from their QB so this list should grow but this year's list of QB needy teams was insane and some teams who could have been in the mix next year (Minnesota, Houston, Tampa, New England) all took young QBs in high rounds so they'll likely give those guys a few years to pan out.

Next, there is a pretty decent chance that they're actually a good to very good team but won't have a winning record this year because their schedule is brutal. Outside of the NFC East they have to face Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, Russ Wilson, Justin Herbert, Aaron Rodgers, and Josh Allen. That is tough -- they could be a very good team and still be under .500. It would suck to have traded away next year's first with a realistic chance that it could be a pretty high pick. I also would much prefer the route they're taking now and take legit talent in Rounds 2 and 3 who could start at other positions rather than waste a pick on a developmental QB who has very little chance to pan out.

Third, I think next year could be the year to go all-in and trade futures to move up if need be. They'll have had three years of solid roster growth, Ron's culture and schemes will be fully established, and the roster may not have a lot of holes if their draft picks pan out which honestly they've nailed the last few years. Timing could be right to go get their guy.

Finally, we have no idea how the college football season will play out but there are 4-5 QBs right now marked as first round picks so there should be talent available. Plus, who knows how the Rodgers and Watson sagas will play out. So yeah, I too am concerned about not having our long-term QB on the roster but if things play out like they could I think they have a solid chance at filling that spot next year.

... of course, the elephant in the room is that they could actually be very good this year and then finding their QB is going to be even harder but let's cross that bridge when we get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad