OT: Washington Football Team 2020 Season Thread 11: Week 1 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I know I often have to keep the tears at bay when a fallen soldier is laid to rest and their spouse or parents are given the rolled up constitution that previously adorned the casket.

And who can forget the iconic picture of the marines raising the constitution on Mt. Suribachi on Iwo Jima. I mean there is an incredible memorial to that moment for a reason right?

If you are really not understanding the incredibly tight link between the flag and the military for so many I really don’t know what to say.

The military exists to ensure the rights of all people are protected against all enemies, foreign and domestic. If you think that kneeling disrespects flag, which then disrespects the military, who exists to ensure that people have the right to kneel, I don't know what to tell you.

The flag is a symbol of our nation and the ideals we're supposed to hold sacred. Of course, the flag is associated with military service and with good reason but that's not the point I was making. The issue is that the flag has now become the national symbol of "the troops" instead of the symbol of the country and what it is supposed to represent, and unfortunately there's only one acceptable way to honor it/the troops in the opinion of too many people out there. That mindset is, of course, completely contradictory to everything the flag is supposed to stand for, and that's the issue. We should be respecting the flag as a symbol of our free nation, not because of some misplaced connection between the flag and the military. By promoting a flag and hero worship culture we are misrepresenting what the flag actually represents, which are the ideals of this nation, of which the military is entrusted to defend.

Now, in the words of the famed poet, Forrest Gump, "And that's all I have to say about that." Onto WFT Week 1 for me.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The flag represents our country. Our country is “supposed to” equally represent everyone that is a citizen of this country. Ergo the flag represents everyone that is a citizen of this country.

People feel that our country isn’t working correctly and that everyone is not equally represented, and are much more openly demonstrating it as such. Which is the exact reason the flag and the country are worth so much to all of these people, as we all have the right to openly demonstrate mostly whatever we want.

It’s very symbiotic.

that is all.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No matter what they do before the kickoff....... I have the Formerskins losing in an ugly low scoring game. 16-10

I have a low opinion of how this game will go. The Eagles offensive line is battered and we have weapons to exploit it. Our offense has minimal talent and a QB who probably should still be getting developed instead starting his second system in as many years without preseason to refine.

Everyone is gonna be knocking rust off.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
If you were to tank a season, this is the season to do it!

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad