NFL: Washington fires Ron Rivera

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
That should close book on Ron Rivera's career as NFL Head Coach and probably NFL career

Can't see Chico willing to be a DC after all the years as HC. Also, Cant see him coaching college

Sep 19, 2008
1704724836090.png

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The man isn’t stupid, he knew what was coming. He’s been hearing rumors about his demise almost as soon as he was hired

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
In 2022, the Commanderskins started to heat up some with Taylor Heinicke.. Heinicke was 5-3-1 as a starter (which is very respectable for a contemporary Washington QB).
But (I guess) Rivera felt that Heinicke was the piece holding them back from progressing.. so Heinicke was pulled and replaced with Wentz (if I remember right, then Howell in the season closer). And they've basically cratered since that point.. going 5-14 after pulling the winning Heinicke.

Farewell Riverjoke.. no hard feelings, it is just Washington..

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can only see Rivera being a DC for someone he's close with. Otherwise, he's not going to be the DC for an young upstart HC he is not familiar with like Wade Phillips did for McVay in LA.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

What the hell type of organization eyes Bears front office for talent?

Redskins gonna Redskin

That should close book on Ron Rivera's career as NFL Head Coach and probably NFL career

Can't see Chico willing to be a DC after all the years as HC. Also, Cant see him coaching college

Phillips was a head coach for a decent amount of time (8 full time seasons vs Riveras 12) and he was OK with taking a backseat when his time as a HC candidate was done.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t know why Aaron Glenn should be getting head coach interviews

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
In 2022, the Commanderskins started to heat up some with Taylor Heinicke.. Heinicke was 5-3-1 as a starter (which is very respectable for a contemporary Washington QB).
But (I guess) Rivera felt that Heinicke was the piece holding them back from progressing.. so Heinicke was pulled and replaced with Wentz (if I remember right, then Howell in the season closer). And they've basically cratered since that point.. going 5-14 after pulling the winning Heinicke.

Farewell Riverjoke.. no hard feelings, it is just Washington..
Not trying to defend Ron Rivera (he deserved to be fired), but Taylor Heinicke was not the answer. Yes he had a 5-3-1 record but, outside of a 32 point outing against the Eagles, the most points scored by Washington during that span was 23. Heinicke was also 1-4 this season with Atlanta.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not trying to defend Ron Rivera (he deserved to be fired), but Taylor Heinicke was not the answer. Yes he had a 5-3-1 record but, outside of a 32 point outing against the Eagles, the most points scored by Washington during that span was 23. Heinicke was also 1-4 this season with Atlanta.
At least Wash now is in position to draft a QB. Better than 2 more wins and sitting in 7/8 OA.

He was HC of a team in turmoil. Kept as tight a ship as he could with Snyder.

Reactions: BKIslandersFan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Has Bieniamy been mentioned as his replacement? kind of why he went to Washington in the first place.
I doubt Harris would lock himself into 1 candidate after just getting the team in 2023. He must have known he was going to clean house. EB figured that he needed to leave KC and do more in order to get a HC job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad