Post-Game Talk: Washington Capitals vs. New Jersey Devils 3/8 7 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
They did gave some legends, though. Brodeur, Stevens, Niedermayer. Guys like holik were effective too. And at least they provided a counterweight to the DET, CO teams of that era. I didn’t
Mind the devils back then, compared to the Pens, Rags, Isles, and Flyers anyway
They did, but what if SS stayed here... However I'm a fan of offensive hockey.

Of the teams you listed, ~25+ years ago (wasn't in the DC metro area) I was a casual fan of Pitt - now I feel like taking a shower :laugh:
I mean Mario, young Jagr, Francis. All they needed was adequate D & GT and they could win SCs.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Scott Stevens was an awesome Offensive player on DC!
My older brother still has the Scotty Stevens lifesized ‘Got Milk’ growth poster which was given out one year at Caps Centre, lol. How my bro has held onto that thing through the years, and through his various relocations, is beyond me. I guess Stevens fans are fans for life

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Jesus, remember the year they put him on the power play. That was nurs. The man was unmovable in front of the net. I believe he put up some numbers that year, but I would have to check

I think he had close to 20 PPGs. LW on the PP.

I remember a D was cross checking him as hard as possible over and over and Stevens wouldn't budge an inch. Maybe Langevin or some other big boy. Finally Stevens got sick of it crossed checked him back and got an instant penalty. He was livid.

Coming out of the box he trucked the dumb unsuspecting D with his back turned, and got called for another deuce.

Stevens was f***ing awesome. I remember the poster but never had one. I remember he was listed at 5'11 when he was drafted and later 6'1. Kept chugging dat milk.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He would also smile when goons would try to goad him off the ice. He was told to stop fighting / cooled his temper enough to not have to fight Dave Brown every time we played the Flyers.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
My older brother still has the Scotty Stevens lifesized ‘Got Milk’ growth poster which was given out one year at Caps Centre, lol. How my bro has held onto that thing through the years, and through his various relocations, is beyond me. I guess Stevens fans are fans for life

I have the Carpenter one, and.......

The Manute Bol one too. Somewhere they’re in a closet in my parents house. Not 100% sure how I came in possession of them, but methinks a coworker of my pops got them.

As an aside to this game, every so often the xfinity dvr screws me, and it did tonight. Auto recorded the NHL network broadcast, which was blacked out. * rage! * only saw last 5 minutes of game. In this case, based on what I’ve read here, I’m not too upset.

Aside #2. That show with grant paulsen and Brent Johnson is unlistenable. Lloyd Christmas was wrong, the most annoying sound in the world comes from that show.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
You guys remembering all these obscure details about Stevens.... I just remember how he would smile at hapless dudes while he was beating them up.
The Scotty Smile!

Also, he was the original, pre-Orpik Orpik, nutrition wise. I remember reading an interview with him back in the early ‘80s in which he said he basically never ate any candy growing up. Talked about the importance of nutrition. That was early for that topic.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad