GDT: Washington Capitals vs Calgary Flames; 8:00 MT; CBC/CSN-DC

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Beautiful share of icetime tonight by coach Hartley. That was fun to watch!!

All the forwards had plenty of opportunity, but Hartley basically put out four defenders tonight (I don't blame him whatsoever). Smith and O'Brien didn't even get 13 minutes between them. Wideman has been playing awesome, but how long can you keep riding him 30 minutes a game? Feaster/Burke need to add a steady number four guy. We're off until Wedesday so hopefully Giordano will be good to go by then. Russell has been awesome. So very smart and does nothing but make heads up plays. I remeber in the first game against the Caps he was nervous and would slide back on the two on ones and take himself out of the play. Nice to not see anymore of that stuff out of him.

Between Russell, Galiardi, Colborne, and Knight, Feaster has made some excellent use of 4th/5th round picks.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I was pretty happy about tonight's game. All in all it was a good one with a few lapses.

• I'd like to see Backlund play more but he is our 4th best centerman at the moment. I'd like to see Hartley play him and Bouma with a more talented winger than McGrattan in the future, but we do need the toughness out there so it's kind of a catch 22.

when Stempniak comes back what are the chances that we run a Bouma - Backlund - Jones line? (assuming Stemp re joins Stajan and Glencross)

there really aren't any fighters for McGratton outside of Mac on the Oil

RyanMac

Jul 20, 2003
So how badly is Giordano hurt? He's on the IR now. Wondering if I should drop him in fantasy.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So glad to see us pull this one out. I wasn't terribly sad to have missed Thursday's game afterwards, but I wish I could have seen this one. Sounds like Baertschi brought his best game tonight.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I was pretty happy about tonight's game. All in all it was a good one with a few lapses.

• Ramo was quite good, not perfect but came up really big when it was needed which was something we hadn't seen from him yet IMO.
  • Wideman made up for his horrible game in Dallas.
  • Russell was exceptional with the puck.
  • Baertschi played like he had something to prove, it was his best game in a while, very nice to see.
  • Cammalleri is looking like he is starting to get hot, which is only a good thing.
  • Stajan was a beast on the PK, him being back will do the PK wonders.
  • Nice to see Glencross score, you could see the relief from him when it went it.
  • I'd like to see Backlund play more but he is our 4th best centerman at the moment. I'd like to see Hartley play him and Bouma with a more talented winger than McGrattan in the future, but we do need the toughness out there so it's kind of a catch 22.

I agree with this. I think we need to consider moving Backlund to wing and having Galairdi on the 4th line center. Backlund could pk but it would give him a chance to put up some numbers.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I agree with this. I think we need to consider moving Backlund to wing and having Galairdi on the 4th line center. Backlund could pk but it would give him a chance to put up some numbers.

Was at the game last nite, club seats, flames attack end where all 5 goals were scored, dome was electric, people were into it.

Russell is one smooth dman. I want him resigned. Colborne's line was the best. Really everyone did good. Jones could of had 3 or 4 goals. Stajan was a leader, cammy/Hudler showed a lot of poise.

Wideman is now an underrated Ufa signing IMO. He is almost a bargain at 5.25.

Although not tough guys, the extra size Jones, Galiardi, Monahan and Colborne have brought is making a big difference.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I could handle that, either Backs or Colborne. But we already have too many wingers too :laugh: I am not sure I would pick Backlund as a top 9 winger over Cammy, Glencross, Baertschi, Jones, Stempniak or Hudler. Right now with Stemps out it would work though.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I could handle that, either Backs or Colborne. But we already have too many wingers too :laugh: I am not sure I would pick Backlund as a top 9 winger over Cammy, Glencross, Baertschi, Jones, Stempniak or Hudler. Right now with Stemps out it would work though.

If it works we could look to move a winger for a defenseman and solve 2 problems.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Sven's moves

VfcN9z3.gif

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I missed the game last night unfortunately but I have to say I'm shocked at the outcome. Every time we play the Caps it seems like OV goes into beast mode. Nice to read the comments here and I'm glad that our boys have made the Dome a tough place to come into and play.

I'm all for trying Backlund at wing and moving out a winger. Moving Stemps for a good dman makes a lot of sense.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
It was nice to hear Hartley's take on face-offs during the post game video. I like knowing that they've been working on it so much. I think this will help the Flames a lot

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have to admit that looks like a pretty good dive to me and I don't like it but yes great move

I don't think it's necessarily a dive. The body does weird things to avoid a collision, especially under the influence of external forces like other players, and he was heading straight for the goalie and net.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Man, that Colborne; it's a good thing we all listened to those Maple Leaf fans... Waste of space out there. Can't skate, doesn't go to the net, doesn't use his body, lacks skill, blah, blah, blah.

:sarcasm:

I'm happy he's showing some of the people on this forum up, and all the Leafs people who thought they robbed a 4th rounder from Calgary for nothing. Great kid, love that he's getting minutes, huge on the faceoff this game... Has only gotten better.
That trade looks better every game.:yo:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If it works we could look to move a winger for a defenseman and solve 2 problems.
I think we would need to move both. Adding an additional defensemen when we have 8 (including Breen and Smith) doesn't amke any sense, it will just push Breen out of the NHL which at this point is counter productive to the point of a rebuild.

I am not in favour of trading for a defenseman unless they are still an RFA at the end of their current deal. Patchwork moves that cost us assets are not going to solve any problem.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think we would need to move both. Adding an additional defensemen when we have 8 (including Breen and Smith) doesn't amke any sense, it will just push Breen out of the NHL which at this point is counter productive to the point of a rebuild.

I am not in favour of trading for a defenseman unless they are still an RFA at the end of their current deal. Patchwork moves that cost us assets are not going to solve any problem.

Maybe something like Stempniak + Smith for Gardiner or Despres.

Just a couple of ideas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad