GDT: Washington Capitals vs Calgary Flames; 8:00 MT; CBC/CSN-DC

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I could get behind something like that, but it has to fit into the rebuild.

I agree I still think claiming Urbom would have been the best thing to do. We could have then looked to move SOB in a package with one of our wingers for a puck moving defenseman like Despres or Gardiner. We could then move Butler for a pick and make our team younger and faster.

Imo Urbom - Gardiner/ Despres > SOB - Butler

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Maybe something like Stempniak + Smith for Gardiner or Despres.

Just a couple of ideas.

I think Calgary needs a D man that plays more of the defensive role, hits, blocking shots. Gardnier and Despres are more offensive guys which I don't think we really need. They should hold off making any trades for now.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think Calgary needs a D man that plays more of the defensive role, hits, blocking shots. Gardnier and Despres are more offensive guys which I don't think we really need. They should hold off making any trades for now.

Colborne has really bought into what he has been told to do here I think both Despres and Gardnier would do what it takes to fit the team.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I could see the Flames interested in Gardnier, and their is the Burke connection

Yea I think we need a big physical defenseman if that is SOB, Breen, or someone else we could argue but I think we need a physical defenseman for sure but I think we need a bottom pairing that can play 15-18 of basically mistake free hockey and so far that isn't happening and I would like to try and fix that.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Yea I think we need a big physical defenseman if that is SOB, Breen, or someone else we could argue but I think we need a physical defenseman for sure but I think we need a bottom pairing that can play 15-18 of basically mistake free hockey and so far that isn't happening and I would like to try and fix that.
They're still better than Anders Eriksson. :laugh: *shudder*

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
They're still better than Anders Eriksson. :laugh: *shudder*

Yes and Quincy :laugh:

I think we have seen so far that when that bottom pair struggles we do when they play well we usually do as well. We don't have the talent to overcome simple mistakes and the bottom pairing has made to many mistake imo.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes and Quincy :laugh:

I think we have seen so far that when that bottom pair struggles we do when they play well we usually do as well. We don't have the talent to overcome simple mistakes and the bottom pairing has made to many mistake imo.
Then the solution is adding more talent, not patching the bottom pairing. Finding a 3rd pairing defenseman is no more than a bandaid solution.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Then the solution is adding more talent, not patching the bottom pairing. Finding a 3rd pairing defenseman is no more than a bandaid solution.

Is it a band aid solution to fix the bottom pairing? Yes of course that isn't going to solve everything but it isn't that hard to find bottom pairing defenseman that would work better together than trying to find talent.

How would you add talent?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is it a band aid solution to fix the bottom pairing? Yes of course that isn't going to solve everything but it isn't that hard to find bottom pairing defenseman that would work better together than trying to find talent.

How would you add talent?
Like I said before you add talent. Add a player with top 4 potential whether via trade, free agency or the draft.

Then you let that player earn a top 4 position. This causes what is referred to as a trickle down effect.

Hypothetically say we somehow add a top pairing defenseman to play with Giordano, let's not worry about how since it's just an example :laugh:

Add top pairing defenseman. TJ Brodie slides to the 2nd pairing. Russell slides to the 3rd pairing. One of Butler/SOB slides slides to being the #7 defenseman.

Our problem is not 3rd pairing defensemen, we have 4 of them, there is no need to add more to the stable. what we need is top 4 defensemen so those 3rd pairing defensemen can be used as 3rd pairing defensemen.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Like I said before you add talent. Add a player with top 4 potential whether via trade, free agency or the draft.

Then you let that player earn a top 4 position. This causes what is referred to as a trickle down effect.

Hypothetically say we somehow add a top pairing defenseman to play with Giordano, let's not worry about how since it's just an example :laugh:

Add top pairing defenseman. TJ Brodie slides to the 2nd pairing. Russell slides to the 3rd pairing. One of Butler/SOB slides slides to being the #7 defenseman.

Our problem is not 3rd pairing defensemen, we have 4 of them, there is no need to add more to the stable. what we need is top 4 defensemen so those 3rd pairing defensemen can be used as 3rd pairing defensemen.

I think the problem is our bottom just don't fit well together. You talk about the draft so we know there is a problem on the bottom pairing and yet we do nothing all year? That seems like poor management and almost sounds like giving up.

We either need another top 4 defenseman or a defenseman that fits better with Butler or with SOB/Breen, one is very easy to fix the other one is not and I would rather make a move and short term fix the bottom pairing which will take pressure off the top 4. I mean right now we are going to player Wideman 30 minutes a night, and Gio 25 minutes a night do you think that they can keep that up for 82 games as I don't.

I think simply sitting around with an obvious problem is asking for problems we can be proactive and not give up much to fix the problem.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think the problem is our bottom just don't fit well together. You talk about the draft so we know there is a problem on the bottom pairing and yet we do nothing all year? That seems like poor management and almost sounds like giving up.

We either need another top 4 defenseman or a defenseman that fits better with Butler or with SOB/Breen, one is very easy to fix the other one is not and I would rather make a move and short term fix the bottom pairing which will take pressure off the top 4. I mean right now we are going to player Wideman 30 minutes a night, and Gio 25 minutes a night do you think that they can keep that up for 82 games as I don't.

I think simply sitting around with an obvious problem is asking for problems we can be proactive and not give up much to fix the problem.
if we weren't in year 1 of a rebuild I might agree with you, but acquiring players via trade that do not fit the rebuild is a horrible idea.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
if we weren't in year 1 of a rebuild I might agree with you, but acquiring players via trade that do not fit the rebuild is a horrible idea.

I never said players that don't fit the rebuild I have specifically used players I can see fitting for long term (maybe not 5+ years but for several years for sure)

Passing on Urbom was a mistake imo and other players to target are Gardiner/Muzzin/Despres/etc.

I think the only player I have suggested that wouldn't be a 5+ year fit is Niskinan but I think with him being able to play 20+ minutes a night would give us a great pairing in Butler - Niskinan and when we need more muscle SOB or Breen can draw in with him and he is a much more calm player with the puck than Butler and could make that a viable pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad