Washington Capitals Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I just saw a mock draft where Jack Johnson (D) will go the Caps where they already have defensemen Steve Eminger, Mike Green and Shaone Morrison . Then the forwards, Fehr, Semin, Ovrechkin and at goalie Ouellet.

And this is not all of it by a long shot.

Nice, very nice, I'm jealous. :banghead:

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Lou is God said:
I just saw a mock draft where Jack Johnson (D) will go the Caps where they already have defensemen Steve Eminger, Mike Green and Shaone Morrison . Then the forwards, Fehr, Semin, Ovrechkin and at goalie Ouellet.

No offense. But when the rest of your team is very poor, you better have some good prospects to balance it out.

Strong Island

Jun 6, 2004
Long Island, NY
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
No offense. But when the rest of your team is very poor, you better have some good prospects to balance it out.

The thing is they already had a strong group of prospects even before they started to tank. Add to that group studs like Ovechkin, Green, Morrisonn, and (hypothetically) Johnson, and you have an incredibly deep and strong prospect pool.

bruins4777*

morrisonn is an incredible defensemen. As a bruins fan i loved the guy and i feel he was one of our best defensive prospects, but we traded him to the caps....ergh we got gonchar..but we'll see what happens.

Anyways, the caps have a wonderful future with morrisonn in their backend.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Lou is God said:

I appreciate the compliments, but i'd trade my GM and players for your GM and players any day of the week. The Devils are a very impressive organization.

Glacier

Nov 13, 2003
Visit site

A little jealous? Washingtons prospects are easily in the top 5 and they do have depth. With Johnson, their top 4 will be one of the best in the near future and that top line will be very hard to stop. I'd rather have the stars that Washington has over the depth that edmonton has. Whoever wouldn't trade their prospect pool for washington's is nuts and should be shot.

myrocketsgotcracked

Glacier said:
A little jealous? Washingtons prospects are easily in the top 5 and they do have depth. With Johnson, their top 4 will be one of the best in the near future and that top line will be very hard to stop. I'd rather have the stars that Washington has over the depth that edmonton has. Whoever wouldn't trade their prospect pool for washington's is nuts and should be shot.
as much as i'd like to have washington's group of prospect, i cant say im jealous. until they reached their protential in the nhl, they are just prospect, and my feeling is that posters here assumes all prospects will hit their potential. however, if/when they all becomes nhl stars, then i'll get jealous :D

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Lou is God said:

The Caps could go Johnson. McPhee's history indicates he thinks defenseman can be added in other ways (free agency maybe?). I see a Crosby, Brule, or Latendresse as much more likely. The Caps two remaining needs are a first class center and a #1 dman. Even though Johnson will be a really good defenseman, he doesn't fill one of our 2 primary needs. Crosby/Brule/Latendresse does. If I were the Caps I'd do this:

Try real hard for Aucoin and Zhitnik as free agents (if that happens). Sign Witt and promise to trade him if he is not happy. Deal Kolzig to Vancouver for a young player and picks and sign a stopgap goalie (Potvin?) The Caps will likely be a competititor for Kessell not because their talent won't be improved drastically, but they are very young. Their defenseman are not ready yet (with the possible exception of Eminger, Yonkman, and Morrisonn). Green, Shultz, Lepisto, Hedman et al need more time. Some of the forwards (Fleischmann, Johannson etc. are farther away then hoped. Klepis should be ready. The biggest issue is getting NHL ready defensemen so we are not awful. We also need to upgrade our grit/aggression level. I look for us to use other picks to do this.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site

How did it work for Calgary and Tampa Bay, who were very poor a few years ago?

Cain

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
borro said:
How did it work for Calgary and Tampa Bay, who were very poor a few years ago?
Calgary has been bad for a while, but calgary's curse lies in the fact that they've never been SO bad as to warrant a top 5 draft pick. No Ovechkin for them.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Cain said:
Calgary has been bad for a while, but calgary's curse lies in the fact that they've never been SO bad as to warrant a top 5 draft pick. No Ovechkin for them.

I think Calgary is going to be a major player for the next 5 years. Adding a Phaneuf to that squad has to help bigtime. I am not one who believes Phaneuf wears Supermans cape, but I'd kill to have him as a Cap. Just what we need. Calgary has done well assembling a team.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
borro said:
The Caps could go Johnson. McPhee's history indicates he thinks defenseman can be added in other ways (free agency maybe?). I see a Crosby, Brule, or Latendresse as much more likely. The Caps two remaining needs are a first class center and a #1 dman. Even though Johnson will be a really good defenseman, he doesn't fill one of our 2 primary needs. Crosby/Brule/Latendresse does. If I were the Caps I'd do this:

Try real hard for Aucoin and Zhitnik as free agents (if that happens). Sign Witt and promise to trade him if he is not happy. Deal Kolzig to Vancouver for a young player and picks and sign a stopgap goalie (Potvin?) The Caps will likely be a competititor for Kessell not because their talent won't be improved drastically, but they are very young. Their defenseman are not ready yet (with the possible exception of Eminger, Yonkman, and Morrisonn). Green, Shultz, Lepisto, Hedman et al need more time. Some of the forwards (Fleischmann, Johannson etc. are farther away then hoped. Klepis should be ready. The biggest issue is getting NHL ready defensemen so we are not awful. We also need to upgrade our grit/aggression level. I look for us to use other picks to do this.

I'd imagine McPhee's board looks like:

1. Crosby 2. Johnson 3. Brule

C may be more a need than D, but you don't pass on a guy like Jack Johnson unless it's for a Sidney/Ovechkin.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
morrisonn is an incredible defensemen. As a bruins fan i loved the guy and i feel he was one of our best defensive prospects, but we traded him to the caps....ergh we got gonchar..but we'll see what happens.

Anyways, the caps have a wonderful future with morrisonn in their backend.

I like Morrisonn alot. He will pair best with a banger. Green may have the ticket. He may be smaller (6'1), but he is feisty! Eminger would pair really nicely with Johnson. This is a critical decision. The chance to get a #1 center in a Crosby/Brule/Latendresse mode is big too. If we pick Johnson or Brule, I will be happy either way. If we wind up farther down the list, I like Staal and I bet GMGM likes Bobby Ryan. I'd like to like Kindl, but I don't.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
EroCaps said:
I'd imagine McPhee's board looks like:

1. Crosby 2. Johnson 3. Brule

C may be more a need than D, but you don't pass on a guy like Jack Johnson unless it's for a Sidney/Ovechkin.

I agree that Johnson will be hard to pass up. My feeling is he is a really good #2 dman upside. That doesn't address any of our 2 primary needs: First line center-#1 dman. Now, adding an Aucoin in Free Agency would put me all over Brule if we can't get Crosby. You know GMGM's WHL preference. It would upgrade our defense however.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Glacier said:

Why would I be jealous. I am simplying pointing out they added a ton of guys and 1st rounders because of NHL PRO player dumps (Lang, Gonchar, etc). Also, I would rather have a team that can compete in the NHL, than a "potential" team.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
borro said:
I agree that Johnson will be hard to pass up. My feeling is he is a really good #2 dman upside. That doesn't address any of our 2 primary needs: First line center-#1 dman. Now, adding an Aucoin in Free Agency would put me all over Brule if we can't get Crosby. You know GMGM's WHL preference. It would upgrade our defense however.

Hey, I wouldn't be disappointed w/either. :D I have read a few scouting reports and quotes on the guy from Lou L. among others and they feel that Johnson has high end #1 potential.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Why would I be jealous. I am simplying pointing out they added a ton of guys and 1st rounders because of NHL PRO player dumps (Lang, Gonchar, etc). Also, I would rather have a team that can compete in the NHL, than a "potential" team.

Although it is true we have added picks and prospects, most of the dumps have had little effect. Morrisonn is an NHL caliber player already. Fleischmann is still a year or two away. The Semin's Ovechkin's and Fehr's and Eminger's and Ouellet's have come from our own picks or trades and not dumps. Aulin has been ok, but not earthshaking, Laich has been a disappointment and we haven't even cashed our #2 from Ottawa yet. Ditto #2 from Boston for Nylander.

I would rather have a better NHL team too, but that really is non-sequitar talking about the teams possible future. Even the most ardent Cap fans admit we will still suck for a year or two.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
EroCaps said:
Hey, I wouldn't be disappointed w/either. :D I have read a few scouting reports and quotes on the guy from Lou L. among others and they feel that Johnson has high end #1 potential.

They would know better than me! I just have him placed as another Eminger, Morrisonn, Green, who I put together at a 2-3. I am not sure how much "politicking" goes into revealed scouting reports. I certainly understand why he would go Johnson. I also understand why he would go Brule.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
borro said:
Although it is true we have added picks and prospects, most of the dumps have had little effect. Morrisonn is an NHL caliber player already. Fleischmann is still a year or two away. The Semin's Ovechkin's and Fehr's and Eminger's and Ouellet's have come from our own picks or trades and not dumps. Aulin has been ok, but not earthshaking, Laich has been a disappointment and we haven't even cashed our #2 from Ottawa yet. Ditto #2 from Boston for Nylander.

I would rather have a better NHL team too, but that really is non-sequitar talking about the teams possible future. Even the most ardent Cap fans admit we will still suck for a year or two.

We have 3 #2s in 05? I could have sworn we used one on Yunkov.

Old Hickory

You do know he is a Devils fan, not a Caps fan right?

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
kingsjohn said:
You do know he is a Devils fan, not a Caps fan right?

I never made any comment to him directly. What I said was "when your team (plural terms) is bad, you better have lots of youth the compensate." Whether he is a caps fan or devils fan, has NO impact on my post or opinion.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
Lou is God said:

Can never have too much of a good thing. If your General Manager and Head Scouts draft strategy revolves around selecting the best player available. ex. Doug Maclean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad