Speculation: Washington Capitals - All Time Team?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Thought it would be fun to combine the best player's in Capitals history onto one team. In their prime.

Alexander Ovechkin - Nicklas Backstrom - Peter Bondra
Jaromír Jágr - Adam Oates - Mike Gartner
Dennis Maruk - Bengt Ake Gustavsson - Dave Christian
Steve Konowalchuk - Mike Ridley - Dmitri Khristich

Larry Murphy - Scott Stevens
Kevin Hatcher - Sergie Conchar
Calle Johansson - Mike Green

Olaf Kölzig
Braden Holtby

Have I missed anyone? I guess this team would dominate in todays NHL? Feel free to make your own Capitals All Time Team.

Liberati0n*

Before my time, but I have to think Oates outplaces Backstrom pretty solidly.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I think I'd nominate Brian Bellows at right wing, if it's players that have ever been on the Caps. 1022 points in 1188 games, three-time all-star. And I'd second the votes for Fedorov and Langway of course.

At goalie, I'd go Pete Peeters for sure, and then I believe I'd go with Pat Riggin, and if you don't like Riggin, then Huet, or Malarchuk, based on their positions on the all-time adjusted GAA list here (#7, #27, #39, and #62 respectively): http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/goals_against_avg_adjusted_career.html

Whatever you think about the list, I think the Peeters name being there in the top 10 of all-time, right between Jacques Plante and Patrick Roy, is enough to show he's the best Caps goalie ever.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I would probably also go Dale Hunter especially if the team is going to have a checking line. And also I second the nomination of Housley.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
And Dino Ciccarelli at right wing too.

So it'd be Bellows and Ciccarelli over Christian and Khristich. Hunter and Fedorov over Ridley and Bengt. Housley and Langway over Green and, I guess, Hatcher. Peeters and Riggin over Olie and Holtby.

I think that makes it:

Alexander Ovechkin - Adam Oates - Peter Bondra
Jaromír Jágr - Sergei Fedorov - Mike Gartner
Steve Konowalchuk - Dale Hunter - Dino Ciccarelli
Dennis Maruk - Nicklas Backstrom - Brian Bellows

Larry Murphy - Scott Stevens
Rod Langway - Sergie Gonchar
Calle Johansson - Phil Housley

Pete Peeters
Pat Riggin

Last edited:

Liberati0n*

It should definitely be peak Capitals performance, not peak career performance. Fedorov should be 4C.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am assuming prime as caps. mike liut would have to be among the goalies if the it was his career prime.

for me....

ov-backstrom-bondra
maruk-oates-gartner
kono-halpern-dahlen(that was maybe the caps best line like that even if there were players that were better like bengt and huntsie
brash-hunter-Hendricks..a real 4th line

defense
langway-stevens
murphy-tinordi
hatcher-witt

goalie
kolzig-beaupre

favorite player not mentioned.....pivonka...jack lynch because of the goal dance...mike palmateer

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I've analyzed this in depth and the best way to do it is taking into account the players time with the Capitals. Not the player in their prime if he wasn't here then (Oates, Fedorov, Bellows etc). And there is no place for Jaromir Jagr and his tanking on this list and should never be.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Courtnall-Hunter-Ciccarelli
Bondra-Pivonka-Gartner
Konowalchuk-Ridley-Miller

(Alan May and Gustafsson as the extra forwards)

Langway-Stevens
Tinordi-Johansson
Iafrate-Cote

(Green, Gonchar or Hatcher as the 7th D)

Kolzig
Holtby

Notice how for the most part the lines were actual lines the team used? (Kono DID play with Ridley and Miller in the early days at times)

Cote and Iafrate are criminally underrated. Both physical, play a two way game, can skate like the wind and provided some big time O. Great chemistry together too.

Everyone thing but Gartner being with Bondra and Pivonka happened. I'd be tempted to take out Gartner and put Keith Jones in for grit, toughness and chemistry with the old PBJ line.

It should definitely be peak Capitals performance, not peak career performance. Fedorov should be 4C.

While I agree about the peak performance Fedorov has no place on this list. He was a crafty vet that was almost out of gas with us.

Begnt Gustafsson, Ridley, Hunter, Pivonka, Backstrom all easily outpace him.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Not sure if you meant that in regards to my post but...

Why the heck would you put Halpern over Ridley? Ridley was infinitely the better player.

Ridley had 3 top 20 selke finishes. Halpern had 0. Ridley was infinitely the better offensive player too.

Or Dahlen over Kelly Miller. Miller had 4 top 13 selke finishes. Dahlen had none altho he was the better goal scorer in his prime. I'd take Miller easily. What a player he was!

Also I'd take Pivonka over the Oates with the Caps. Old Oates was still a good offensive player but he was slow and ineffective when things got tough.

Pivonka was fast, mean and a better goal scorer. More physical player and could play just as well in a shutdown role (like he did for Schoenfeld in the 93-94 playoffs) as in a offensive role.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
How about the Druce is Loose?

You've got to move my by Dmitri off the 4th line, he deserves better.

Sorry, Holtby does not belong on that list. I'd take Jim Carey's one good year over Holtby performance thusfar.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Simon Hunter May
Berube Walter Kordic
Adams Kaminski Peat
Kypreos Murray Wilson
Kastelic McPhee (all heart)

Stevens Holt
Tinordi Rouse
Schofield Huscroft
Ciccone