Wash Post: Blues NHL's Best Spenders

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I hope you're right, but with the top four wingers on this team I don't see an opening anytime soon, also I think they could use more size from their top six wingers.

If Rattie is scoring 30 goals his rookie season (at 27 now) and does the same or better next season, they'll find a spot for him somewhere on this team by 2015-2016 imo.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
If Rattie is scoring 30 goals his rookie season (at 27 now) and does the same or better next season, they'll find a spot for him somewhere on this team by 2015-2016 imo.

It's a possibility, but if Schwartz, Tarasenko, Steen keep producing at the rate that is expected and he doesn't have the complete game that Oshie has, if they all stay pretty healthy and assuming they all have manageable contracts, I just don't see it being that simple unless there is some type of move, since he's seen as a top six forward and not a good fit for the bottom six..

But time will tell, definitely a good problem to have.

ejoshie

Aug 26, 2008
The article does not tell you anything but a basic - x y z add em up.

The Blues spend x amount of dollars and are here in the standings.

Carolina spends x amount of dollars and are there in the standings.

Therefore Armstrong is a good GM

Pretty parochial.

Glad the guy can get paid by the Washington Post for it.

floydmurphy

Feb 4, 2009
Armstrong is pretty overrated on this board. Hes not nearly as good as he's made out to be.

Everyone seems to forget that he is the GM that traded for Stewart while we did get Shattenkirk Stewart was the main return we were receiving

I would assume he is over rated on this board because he won a GM of the year last year. And is probably on his way to another one with this year.

Perron: Moot point
Stewart: Moot point
Halak: Moot point
105 pts. tops in the league with 10 games to go: good point.

I guess we can re-evaluate in June.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Armstrong is pretty overrated on this board. Hes not nearly as good as he's made out to be. We'll see this playoffs how many bad trades hes made to date. Its to early to currently tell.

Everyone seems to forget that he is the GM that traded for Stewart while we did get Shattenkirk Stewart was the main return we were receiving

If you want to characterize the trade in that fashion, with Stewart coming back for Johnson, then you must say Armstrong basically returned Shattenkirk for Jay McClement. Any negative you associate with Stewart as the main piece is quickly nullified by getting a young PMD who is really the perfect #3 on a very solid team.

The record this season doesn't necessarily prove he's a wizard at being a GM, but the blues have been among the best teams in hockey for 3 seasons now, and his strength seems to be in contracts and making frugal decisions.

My criticisms stem from last summer's free agency signings, but even then, I have no idea who was realistically available for the Blues. I think we'd be much better served having paid Valtteri Filppula some cash, or taking a run at Grabovski rather than locking up Derek Roy. Still, Armstrong has been able to sign players that have positively effected this team to very low risk deals.

If he's able to lock Miller up to a reasonable deal and/or make an aggressive bid to sign Statsny, I won't have any complaints to speak of. There is also something to be said of him bringing in Hitchcock and turning the culture of the team into something that feels familial (at least to an outsider looking in) and competitive. I get pissed about the team because I think they could win basically every game (I'm delusional) but I think so far, the track record speaks for itself. He's among the best at his job in the league in my opinion.

Any other specific things that have miffed you during his tenure?

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Armstrong is pretty overrated on this board. Hes not nearly as good as he's made out to be. We'll see this playoffs how many bad trades hes made to date. Its to early to currently tell.

And he said then the deal doesn't happen if Shattenkirk isn't a part of the deal. We didn't luck into Shattenkirk as a throw in.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
This is a horrifically bad article. Absolutely terrible. I honestly cannot believe the person who wrote this is a paid journalist. It is difficult to know where to even begin listing the stupid assumptions and omissions this article makes.

First, why are Vegas odds the measure of success? That is not even an accurate picture of who the best team is right now. It is simply a measure of who people are betting on to win the cup, and odds shifting to allow the house to profit. Blues happen to have the most points in hockey, but much can happen before the Cup is raised.

Second, it does not take into consideration long-term future, injuries, coaching, Return on Investment (how much money a team makes- it is a business), coaching salaries, and numerous other factors. A team which mortgaged their future on a cup run now would have good odds. That does not mean they made better investments than a team who is poised to make cup runs for the next 5 years (16% now, but 1% next 4 years vs. 15% next 5 years).

Then there is this sentence: "In fact, based on [the Hurricane's] current spending and money management, they would have to commit $4 billion over the cap floor to guarantee a 100 percent chance at a championship". There is so much wrong with this sentence, I can't possibly list it all. Let's leave it at the fact that there is no such thing as 100% chance to win and multiplying spending does not directly correlate to multiplied odds to win.

Finally, is Carolina even the worst team by this standard. Buffalo pays only $6M less (89% of Carolina's spending) but has infinitely less chance to win the cup (0%-mathematically eliminated) and has 25 less points (65.75% of Car's points). If it is only going to discuss 2 teams (one of which is not the newspapers hometown team), it should at least choose the worst.

This is not to say Armstrong is a good or bad GM. I think he has done a great job. I do think he has made mistakes: trading Perron, signing Roy, and the term on Shatty's deal. Overall though, he has put the team in a great position to win its first Cup. That is the only measure of efficiency I care about.

ejoshie

Aug 26, 2008
Agreed

I was not in no way addressing Armstrong as GM either.

I have marked a few papers in my time, as well.

The article does not have any foundation other than How many dollars are spent and were the team is in the standings.

Ok, but like others have said, there are a slew of other factors involved not even mentioned.

Yoko Ono*

I am more than happy to complain about Armstrong the guy is more like Ron Caron than an efficient GM. The build from within is long over since Armstrong doesn't seem to care for having 1st round picks any longer. Hard to sustain a pipeline of top talent outside of the first round in hockey it is literally a crap shoot second through seventh. He is just a leftover from the failed Cheapetts empire and should be shown the door for wasting Soderberg and Eller for nothing.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
I am more than happy to complain about Armstrong the guy is more like Ron Caron than an efficient GM. The build from within is long over since Armstrong doesn't seem to care for having 1st round picks any longer. Hard to sustain a pipeline of top talent outside of the first round in hockey it is literally a crap shoot second through seventh. He is just a leftover from the failed Cheapetts empire and should be shown the door for wasting Soderberg and Eller for nothing.

So you're saying that second round picks are a crapshoot, and complaining about trading one of them away for a goalie prospect that didn't pan out?

Keep up the good work, champ.

Yoko Ono*

So you're saying that second round picks are a crapshoot, and complaining about trading one of them away for a goalie prospect that didn't pan out?

Keep up the good work, champ.

I will "Ace", I didn't even mention letting Bishop walk and Johnson making that Colorado trade look a little worse every game. If Johnson progresses next season this trade will officially be lopsided.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I will "Ace", I didn't even mention letting Bishop walk and Johnson making that Colorado trade look a little worse every game. If Johnson progresses next season this trade will officially be lopsided.

Lopsided still in the Blues favor :laugh:

Shatty is better than Johnson.(as NHL Gms and coaches agreed)
Rattie is better than Siemens.
Stewart even potted a few goals while he was here. Even if he wasn't included, we still win the trade rather easily.

Yoko Ono*

Lopsided still in the Blues favor :laugh:

Shatty is better than Johnson.(as NHL Gms and coaches agreed)
Rattie is better than Siemens.
Stewart even potted a few goals while he was here. Even if he wasn't included, we still win the trade rather easily.

Shatty has been a playoff embarrassment the last 2 seasons and doesn't see minutes against top players. He is usually shielded by Hitchcock.

Stewart was a waste Colorado couldn't get him out of town fast enough.
At least he was salavaged by the Miller deal but it took the failed Halak trade to make that happen.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Shatty has been a playoff embarrassment the last 2 seasons and doesn't see minutes against top players. He is usually shielded by Hitchcock.

Stewart was a waste Colorado couldn't get him out of town fast enough.
At least he was salavaged by the Miller deal but it took the failed Halak trade to make that happen.

And still NHL GMs took this "playoff embarrassment" and "shielded" dman over the Godsend EJ. You probably know more than NHL Gms and coaches though. How could I be so silly.

Also, how is the Halak trade a failure? We traded an average 3rd line center for the franchise leader in shutouts. To quote Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny, "Oh what a ****in' nightmare!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad