Line Combos: Was trading for Bolland a mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Given their current cap issues, I'm of the opinion that Mclement should have taken the third line. The 4th line is clearly a checking line and Mclement is too good to be surrounded by two bangers.

I'm already negative on the idea of a checking line as opposed to a 4 line roll out using young kids on the 4th line but thats a different story

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

I'm not mad about the trade but I didn't think it was very necessary - we gave up too much for a guy in the last year of his contract who didn't play very good last year or when he did play in the playoffs. I think his aav is high for what he will bring to the team

varano

Jun 27, 2013
i think it was a good trade,
what if bozak or kadri go down, mclement moves to second line ?
Well I guess it depends how much you value the defense of liles.
The cap space would have made the difference in the negotiations.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Nope. Awesome winning pedigree, and im confident he will re sign

I know hes a local boy but I dont really buy the pedigree thing.
Does that mean that every blackhawks player is rated higher because
of winning a cup?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Given their current cap issues, I'm of the opinion that Mclement should have taken the third line. The 4th line is clearly a checking line and Mclement is too good to be surrounded by two bangers.

I'm already negative on the idea of a checking line as opposed to a 4 line roll out using young kids on the 4th line but thats a different story

Would that last 10 minutes in that game against Boston have happened, if Bolland and Clarkson were on our team?

No, it was not a mistake to trade for him.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Would that last 10 minutes in that game against Boston have happened, if Bolland and Clarkson were on our team?

Thats a completely arbitrary comment.

You can also say if Phaneuf wasnt on the team it wouldnt happen.

Blah blah blah etc.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Love Mcclement but he's not offensively consistent to be a 3rd line center full time.

If I had a different haircut would my date last night have gone any better? Tough to say. Can't deal in absolutes.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
of winning a cup?

He won the cup twice, won the memorial cup, won in minor hockey. All the guy does is win. Really good guy to have rub off on the rest of our team. Not only did he win, he was a difference maker both times they won the cup. He make the sedins look like sisters, made life hell for the goalies, dmen as well. Hopefully he stays healthy and can play some great hockey for us.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
good lord, haven't even played a game and it's already a mistake.

the guy has TWO cups to his name, in the past what, 4 years? including the game winner only a couple months ago.

he's a great(if not the best) 3rd line centre in the league.

he brings us one step closer to contention for the cup.

xxxx
Kadri
Bolland
Mcclement

starting to look like a great mix of skill and defensive centres.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Thats a completely arbitrary comment.

You can also say if Phaneuf wasnt on the team it wouldnt happen.

Blah blah blah etc.

If Phaneuf wasn't on the team it wouldn't have happened...... Because we wouldn't have been in the playoffs.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

Nah, McClement has very little skill. He should be used as a 4th line player who gets extra minutes shorthanded. He's an excellent player in that capacity.

Bolland is pretty much ideal for his role. The trade could backfire if he can't bounce back from his injuries the last couple of years though.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
of winning a cup?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Bolland#Awards_and_achievements

2003–04 OHL Third All-Star Team
Played in the 2004 CHL Top Prospects Game.
2005 Memorial Cup Champion with London Knights
2004–05 OHL All-Star
2005–06 OHL First All-Star Team
2005–06 OHL Jim Mahon Memorial Trophy winner
Captain of Team OHL in Canada/Russia Series, November 2005.
Stanley Cup Champion (2010, 2013)
Stanley Cup-winning goal scorer, 2013

It doesnt get a heck of a lot better then this. Maybe add in WJC and Olympic medals, but we are talking about a higher calss of player whom would have cost more then Bolland (Mike Richards etc).

varano

Jun 27, 2013

2004–05 OHL All-Star

It doesnt get a heck of a lot better then this. Maybe add in WJC and Olympic medals, but we are talking about a higher calss of player whom would have cost more then Bolland (Mike Richards etc).

OK. At the end of the day, Franson will not be back unless by some miracle they move liles.

Do you still value the past of Bolland more than what Franson can bring to the future of the leafs?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
OK. At the end of the day, Franson will not be back unless by some miracle they move liles.

Do you still value the past of Bolland more than what Franson can bring to the future of the leafs?

Or they keep both and buyout liles, which is just as likely.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

2004–05 OHL All-Star

Also, being fair........Are we saying that Clarkson is an epic failure because of his lack of pedigree?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

I value what Bolland can bring to the Leafs moving forward as well. And trading for Bolland has zero impact on signing Franson. Nonis can make it work if Franson is being reasonable.

Also, being fair........Are we saying that Clarkson is an epic failure because of his lack of pedigree?

This has nothing to do with Bolland. I fail to see the relevance in it.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Dave Bolland is over-rated and over-paid for what he does and how well he does it. For a so-called elite grinder, his Corsi Against stats are pretty disappointing. On the best hockey team in the NHL. An elite grinder does not let that many shots go through. Let me guess, he was bought in because he is "tough" and a "good ol Etobicoke boy" right? Might as well make Don Cherry the GM. Just because he was part of a winning team (Chicago Blackhawks), doesn't mean that he's hot ****.

Why do you think Chicago are willing to allow us to take him off their hands? Because they want to offload his bloated salary and make cap room for better players. Chicago were probably laughing their ***** off when the deal was done. "The idiot Leafs management got outsmarted again", they thought to themselves. Chicago will bring up yet another cheap, promising youngster to take Bolland's place. Chicago probably have the best scouts in the league to find talent to draft and know how to properly bring up youth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad