Was this the worst off-season in recent history?

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I always considered the 2009 off-season to be one of the worst in Habs history but I think the 2017 off-season surpassed it by far.

It started by trading Nathan Beaulieu for a 3rd round pick. The reason behind this? We needed to keep Jordie Benn protected for the expansion draft. Bergevin also said that we needed to save money on the Salary Cap and resigning Beaulieu would have cost too much money. I’m not a huge fan of Beaulieu but I think a offensive defenseman would have been much needed this season.

We have next Drouin vs Sergachev. Don’t get me wrong, I liked the trade at the time but it was considering that Radulov and Markov would still be playing for us. It was a good trade if we added Drouin to our top 6 and not to be Radulov replacement. To make things worst not a lot of people expected Sergachev to kill it in his first season. He currently has more points than any player on our roster.

We decide to give 5 years to Karl Alzner. We just managed to get rid of Alexei Emelin but Marc Bergevin decided to give a long term contract to a pylon who doesn’t have a lot to offer expect for blocking shots. You don’t overpay for a player like that and it’s currently a monumental failure. Not only he was never good offensively but turns out the defensive defenseman is not very good defensively also.

We sign Carey Price to a 8 years 10.5 m NMC. We needed to sign Price and he’s a elite goalie but giving him this type of contract with his injury history might cripple this team for the next decade. He’s an important piece but was not worth the contract he signed and it will quickly backfire on us.

Marc Bergevin decided to play hardball with Alexander Radulov and got burned when he went to Dallas. This is the most mind-boggling move. He was our best forward and a big reason for the team success this past season. He needed to figure out a way to keep him and make a major push for the Stanley Cup. His departure left a huge hole and he is currently burning the league with 19 points in 20 games.

His 2$ lotto ticket move of the summer was to sign Ales Hemsky who got 0 points and is already injured. Much better alternative were available for that type of high risk high reward player.

Bergevin wasn’t done yet. He decided to play hardball with Andrei Markov even after losing Alexander Radulov. This is our #2 defenseman. This is the 2nd highest producing defenseman in Habs History. This is the man that’s 10 games away from playing 1000 games. He performed season after season even if he was in the twilight of his career. Instead our GM decided to offer him a potential 5M contract only if he reached his bonuses. He’s lowballing one of the most loyal Habs player in history and after asking him to wait until Sept to see if he will sign Markov to his term. The Habs defense has been exposed and at 38 years old he was still our best option after Weber.

He went ahead and signed Mark Streit to replace Markov’s production only for him to get his contract terminated after 2 games with the Habs.

These are the major moves but there’s also some smaller scale moves like not firing Sylvain Lefebvre or seeing Claude Julien keep the same coaching staff. Signing David Schlemko who didn’t even play a single game yet. The rumors of trading Galchenyuk and having above 8M of unused Cap Space.

Seriously, I don’t see one positive move he did this off-season. He managed to beat the work of Bob Gainey in the summer of 2009. I need to ask...was this the worst off-season in recent Habs history?

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I would argue that the previous off-season was worse because trading Subban to protect Michel Therrien and Wax Statueretty was the defining moment where Bergevin was valuing the dead puck era over the current trend toward skill, possession, transition and speed.

Savage, bro. lol

Reactions: Habs178

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If it wasn't for the brief appearance of Radulov, the previous offseason was just as bad.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I would argue that the previous off-season was worse because trading Subban to protect Michel Therrien and Wax Statueretty was the defining moment where Bergevin was valuing the dead puck era over the current trend toward skill, possession, transition and speed.

Absolutely. More mistakes were made this past offseason, but the year before was when really when Bergevin took the team off the tracks and started trending to the complete wrong direction. He’s not only failed to address issues, but he’s created holes by trading away pieces that could fill those holes. Subban and Sergachev would be huge on the blueline, and I like Drouin but he isn’t the piece we needed, not at the cost we paid. The Radulov and Markov situation was ridiculous. Lowball Radulov and Markov, while you rush out and sign a sieve like Alzner. Let both of them walk and go into the season with $8 million of cap space. How can anyone defend this?

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
It was absolutely awful. I still can't believe what happened to the left side of our D. They way they're playing now, NONE of them would have been in our starting lineup last year. Let that sink in.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It was quite easily the worst offseason of any team in the NHL this summer. And it was obvious too. I don't know if I have ever seen such an obviously poor team transformation ever before.

It wasn't just obvious to people who closely follow the team. It was obvious to fans of other teams. It was obvious to casual fans who don't even know hockey that well. It was obvious to a bunch of amateurs posting on a message board.

It was basically obvious to everyone except for the people getting paid millions to run the team. Which might be the scariest part.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Lol people still talking about Beaulieu. You know he is absolutely atrocious on Buffalo right? Yes I know Benn is also awful, but why are we even talking about him? Also you have to do that Sergachev for Drouin trade. Imagine our forwards without Drouin? Sergachev wouldn't help us at all. I 100% agree with everything else though.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Lol people still talking about Beaulieu. You know he is absolutely atrocious on Buffalo right? Yes I know Benn is also awful, but why are we even talking about him? Also you have to do that Sergachev for Drouin trade. Imagine our forwards without Drouin? Sergachev wouldn't help us at all. I 100% agree with everything else though.
As flawed as he is, I think he still brings more to this team then Benn. Alzner is basically a slightly better Benn. We don't have anyone on the left side who can move the puck up the ice adequately right now. Mete is great but has been struggling for a couple games now. Nothing against the kid at all, he has a bright future but right now, I take Beaulieu before him

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
As flawed as he is, I think he still brings more to this team then Benn. Alzner is basically a slightly better Benn. We don't have anyone on the left side who can move the puck up the ice adequately right now. Mete is great but has been struggling for a couple games now. Nothing against the kid at all, he has a bright future but right now, I take Beaulieu before him
He brings absolutely nothing! You can't even play him on the PP because he is such a liability. He can't even produce in Buffalo while getting more ice time. If it wasn't for his skating, he would be a career AHLer.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs fan coming here in peace, I know it's a frustrating time for you guys but no one know the pain better then any Leafs fan and it is all caused by the poor management and your GM should take the blame

- Traded for a winger (Drouin) to play center, and traded your best prospect and a stud "D" in that process
- Traded Subban for a declining 32 year old Weber
- Signed a goalie with a cap hit of 10.5 not even playing- I can't question that because Price is the best goalie if he is healthy
- Bith Markov and Radulov walked as Free agents for nothing
- I am not sure how many picks this organization has given up and the Team is not even better but it is declining

I am not here to pick on any one just sharing my views. We have suffered the same pain for decades and still trying our best to get some respect in this league

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

What is incredible is that Bergevin had back to back off-seasons that were so bad, they both are perceived as possibly the worst ever.

That's the legacy of this guy going forward. Stop the madness before the trifecta hits!!!

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
To get out of this crappy situation it's with the help of our supporters that we'll overcome it, neither more neither less

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
When I look back and sum it up as:

OUT:
Radulov
Markov
Sergachev

IN:

Streit
Hemsky
Drouin

EPIC FAIL

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011
Inspired.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

It was truly the day things all fell apart. He traded away a fan favourite and one of the guys that truly wanted to win and not just talk about it in post game interviews. This off season was just Bergevin going full Pejorative Slur plunge towards the dead puck era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad