Was this technically the greatest line of all-time?

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
158758978_2848624055360174_5349445259391884206_n.png

assuming this was a regular line, and not just their PP unit

I know its difficult to compare a small sample size vs another line that played several seasons... but do your best. All hockey: NHL, Russia, Europe, Olympics, World/Canada Cups, whatever

All-star games if you want, but if its just for one game I dont think that enough.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I don't think there was ever a time in 1987 that Lemieux, Gretzky and Messier were on the same line. Not even once regularly. This is on the power play. I know for sure that the power play unit was Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Coffey and Bourque. I mean..........................wow! So this picture is very much just a power play goal they had scored or something like that. Or setting up for a faceoff. Messier was on the so-called checking line that tournament with Anderson and Gartner. Lemieux and Gretzky didn't hook up on the same line until the final series. I know Brian Propp was among the winger who was the 3rd guy on there. It could have been Goulet at another point as well. Can't remember.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I don't think there was ever a time in 1987 that Lemieux, Gretzky and Messier were on the same line. Not even once regularly. This is on the power play. I know for sure that the power play unit was Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Coffey and Bourque. I mean..........................wow! So this picture is very much just a power play goal they had scored or something like that. Or setting up for a faceoff. Messier was on the so-called checking line that tournament with Anderson and Gartner. Lemieux and Gretzky didn't hook up on the same line until the final series. I know Brian Propp was among the winger who was the 3rd guy on there. It could have been Goulet at another point as well. Can't remember.

Wasn't a line, no.

As Phil says, however, the power-play of Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Bourque, and Coffey was... not bad.

Seeing Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Bourque, and Coffey against Larionov, Makarov, Krutov, Fetisov, and Kasatonov trade PPs and thread the needle was one of the greatest sights in hockey history.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
So, let's do the (NHL) math: Counting major trophies (not Lady Byngs or Lindsay/Pearson, in that era) -- Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Bourque, and Coffey combined for:
-- 14 Hart trophies
-- 16 Art Ross trophies
-- 8 Norris trophies
-- 5 Conn Smythe trophies
-- 2 Calder trophies

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Wasn't Claude Lemieux playing lw with Mario and Wayne? At least for part of the tourney?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
So, let's do the (NHL) math: Counting major trophies (not Lady Byngs or Lindsay/Pearson, in that era) -- Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Bourque, and Coffey combined for:
-- 14 Hart trophies
-- 16 Art Ross trophies
-- 8 Norris trophies
-- 5 Conn Smythe trophies
-- 2 Calder trophies

Is that all? Amateurs!

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Perreault-Gretzky-Lafleur (1981 CC).

My Best-Carey

Would have loved to see them play the whole tournament. I definitely don't see an 8-1 thrashing in the championship game. Perreault always flourished against the Soviets, too bad he got his foot broken on a shot in practice from Gretzky..................I believe that was how it went.

Wasn't Claude Lemieux playing lw with Mario and Wayne? At least for part of the tourney?

I know for sure Goulet was on Mario's line early on, and even as late as the Czech semi final game because he gave that lovely pass to him for a partial breakaway goal on Hasek.

But Propp is on the line with Mario and Wayne during the Game 2 overtime goal. Actually it is Propp who makes that pass (a dangerous one) to Murphy who gives it to Gretzky and them Lemieux.

One thing about Keenan is he was constantly shuffling the lines during that tournament. Against the Soviets Victor Tikhonov never did that sort of thing. The Soviets didn't do that normally anyway, but that was one thing that threw the Soviets off was the line combos. So if I had to pick I would say Propp was on the wing with them the most if anything. Claude Lemieux got injured early on, so he was never playing with both of them. Keenan was pressured all tournament to put them regularly together but he wanted to wait because he felt it was like having a nuclear bomb or something like a secret weapon that he wanted to use when he needed it.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Terrible defense overall. Would rather have a line like Lindsay-Abel-Howe who can play both ways.

My greatest possible line would be Hull-Béliveau-Howe. It would be unstoppable on every front.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Would have loved to see them play the whole tournament. I definitely don't see an 8-1 thrashing in the championship game. Perreault always flourished against the Soviets, too bad he got his foot broken on a shot in practice from Gretzky..................I believe that was how it went.
There was a pileup in the corner against Sweden. I'm foggy on the rest of it. But Perreault-Gretzky-Lafleur was a forward line that has not been matched since. Incredible to watch.

BTW, Perreault in best on best competitions: 21 points in 16 games. In retrospect, I know Sather was all about Edmonton and the Islanders in 1984 but I think Perreault should've made that team. Coming off a 90 point (in 73 game) season he had the credentials. Already he's the only guy to play in 72/76/79/81 international series.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: crobro

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Gretzky - Lemieux- one of the Hansen brothers

Would be the best line of all time. So, put any other Hall of Famer in there (I think it was actually Hawerchuk), and it's a lock. I think my avatar would have done pretty well with them too, what do you think?

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
I thought he went in hard to the end boards in a game against Sweden.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
There was a pileup in the corner against Sweden. I'm foggy on the rest of it. But Perreault-Gretzky-Lafleur was a forward line that has not been matched since. Incredible to watch.

BTW, Perreault in best on best competitions: 21 points in 16 games. In retrospect, I know Sather was all about Edmonton and the Islanders in 1984 but I think Perreault should've made that team. Coming off a 90 point (in 73 game) season he had the credentials. Already he's the only guy to play in 72/76/79/81 international series.

My Best-Carey

Dionne, although he didn't play in the games in 1972 was on those same teams internationally.

They were definitely going away from the 1970s stars by 1984. Perreault still could have been there and done well, I think. Dionne still had a 121 point year in 1985 so he had a chance too. They won, but they did miss a bit of talent from 1984. I'd have trusted Perreault in that situation even as late as 1984.

I thought he went in hard to the end boards in a game against Sweden.

I know Gretzky years later jokingly blamed himself for Perreault's injury. So I always thought it was a shot that hit his foot. Could be wrong.

Reactions: frisco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad