Was this ever possible for Pittsburgh?

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
With Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and consistent coaching/goaltending: Do you think that we would've won the cup every single year from 2009 to beyond? Despite any injuries or other factors that would've made it more of a challenge for us to repeat? What if Fleury's playoff struggles were non-existent at the time?

On an extra note, I'm not forgetting about any other players who made a difference for us as well.

Now, I know that this sounds impossible, but I'll break down the playoffs from 2009:

2010: IMO, 2010 was our best chance to repeat. The goaltending was questionable at times for the Blackhawks and Flyers, and they won it all with Antti Niemi. Michael Leighton anyone?

2011: Imagine if we had a healthy roster during the 2011 playoffs?

2012: Fleury struggled against the Flyers, while we had no problem scoring on Bryzgalov and Bobrosky.

2013: Even with Iginla, Morrow, and Douglas Murray, we still got swept by the Bruins. Too much starpower?

However, if it worked out for the Warriors, then why didn't it work out for us?

2014: We fell short in Game 7, which could've gone either way.

2015: We came up short in every game, and the difference was only 1 goal...

2018: IMO, Game 5 was the difference maker in that series. Game 6 could've gone either way, but Game 7 would've been a challenge for us.

Overall, I do believe that we had a chance to win it all every year, but honestly, it would've been an impossible task for us to accomplish.

Last edited:

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Funny that you don't even put 2008 on this list. We were there.. 2009 was our best chance to repeat if we would've done it in 2008.

To answer your question.. no, I don't think so.
2013 IMO would've been the only other year they win it if they would've used the roster correctly.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I think this is a silly thought exercise. Any team could win the cup 10 years in a row if literally everything went right for them.

I think out of all the Pens teams between 2009 and 2016, only the 2012 and 2013 Pens were truly Cup-caliber from a roster perspective, and one of those teams had Fleury playing starting goalie in the playoffs...

Reactions: Deas and Uemoda

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Having watched a strong Pens team just stumble into oblivion, I don't think so, no.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Maybe if Bylsma wasn't the coach, but I don't think the Bylsma year teams were well constructed.

First off, huge fan, I like your speed and the Mr Big Goal Playoffs...

But yeah, Bylsma's teams were like the Capitals before this season, just very good in the regular season but when teams had a chance to game plan against him, the guy literally had no idea what to do with his line-up, I still remember that Islanders series, his own ignorance almost cost us that series until he finally admitted that he needed to put speed back in the line-up and the Pens moved on and then didn't get further than I think the 2nd round that year vs the Rangers?

But Bylsma had solid teams, the guy was never the worst coach, he just could never accept that there was a better way than his way and he always thought his way was the right way, that kind of attitude will never get you far and even after being fired by the Pens and Sabres, the guy is still an arrogant piece of shit when you hear him do his analyst shtick or attempt to anyway.

Reactions: Bryan Rust

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
13 was our best chance to win and even then I’m not sure we could’ve. Getting swept by Boston, even if a few of those games were close, does a lab-engineered hybrid of Pat Riley and Scotty Bowman even turn a 0-4 sweep into a 4-3 series win? Let alone then beating the Hawks? Doubtful.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe if Bylsma wasn't the coach, but I don't think the Bylsma year teams were well constructed.

Even without the Bylsma factor, the question posed is WOULD the Pens have won every year. An answer of NO shouldn't require explanation. If the question were COULD the Pens have won any year or even a few of those years, then the answer is 'yes'.

BTW @steveayres35, the problem in 2013 wasn't 'too much star power'.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
Even without the Bylsma factor, the question posed is WOULD the Pens have won every year. An answer of NO shouldn't require explanation. If the question were COULD the Pens have won any year or even a few of those years, then the answer is 'yes'.

BTW @steveayres35, the problem in 2013 wasn't 'too much star power'.
Then what was it?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Then what was it?

I would go..

# 1 coaching. Bylsma’s line-up choices were just horrendous that series.

# 2 team speed. 2013 was one of the few times I’ve ever seen a GM make a team slower. I wonder if we had just made a move for a Morrow if our roster wouldn’t have been better.

# 3 Stars. Crosby and Malkin totally blew that series. Obviously, they didn’t get any help, but they really lost their edge. I would’ve too because Boston sucks, but still. You win by turning the other cheek.

Reactions: billybudd

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If Shero and Bylsma hadn’t been hired then possibly. I firmly believe we have at least 1 more cup if Shero wasn’t our gm during this time.

These two schmucks pissed away years with incompetence.

Fleury was also a large reason why we failed from 2010-2015.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I would go..

# 1 coaching. Bylsma’s line-up choices were just horrendous that series.

# 2 team speed. 2013 was one of the few times I’ve ever seen a GM make a team slower. I wonder if we had just made a move for a Morrow if our roster wouldn’t have been better.

# 3 Stars. Crosby and Malkin totally blew that series. Obviously, they didn’t get any help, but they really lost their edge. I would’ve too because Boston sucks, but still. You win by turning the other cheek.
The names the Penguins acquired in 2013 were more impressive than the versions they actually got. 2011 and 2012 were better teams, and had a very good chance to be cup winners without injuries and Bylsma.

Bnat66

May 10, 2017
New Jersey
Could you imagine the outrage if a team won the cup 10 years in a row? people would be crying fix after the first 5 and ratings would nosedive.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
The names the Penguins acquired in 2013 were more impressive than the versions they actually got. 2011 and 2012 were better teams, and had a very good chance to be cup winners without injuries and Bylsma.

Eh I think the 2013 team had more depth. That being said (along with others) I think that Hawks team would have thumped us pretty good

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I still remember that Islanders series, his own ignorance almost cost us that series until he finally admitted that he needed to put speed back in the line-up and the Pens moved on and then didn't get further than I think the 2nd round that year vs the rangers?

Wasnt the yr we barely beat the Islanders the yr we beat Ottawa in the 2nd round then got smoked by Boston in the ECF?

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Then what was it?

Mismanagement of players like iginla for starters.

You dont take a hall of fame RW and force him to play LW when he wasnt comfortable with it.

Our starting goalie imploded.

The other 2 trades Morrow and Murray were disappointments.

I even heard there was discontent in the locker room from guys like Adam's who were mad the pens made all those moves at the deadline.

Wasnt it also found out Adams was a kiss ass and a rat for Bylsma that yr?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
2014 and 15 are non-starters. Roster just wasn't good enough. Bowman isn't getting either of those clubs to the conference finals.

2010 and 2012 also probably unlikely. Flower wigging out wasn't DB's doing and the 2010 Hawks were just a better hockey club than the 2010 Pens.

2013 might have been a paper dragon. Misused or not, Iginla wasn't much use 5 on 5 at that point in his career. Between him, Morrow (who was good for a short time after the trade), Murray, Orpik and Adams, this hockey club was slow.

Now, 2011 would be interesting if not for injuries. With a better coach and a healthy roster, I think that one had a good chance at being a winner.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
2014 and 15 are non-starters. Roster just wasn't good enough. Bowman isn't getting either of those clubs to the conference finals.

2010 and 2012 also probably unlikely. Flower wigging out wasn't DB's doing and the 2010 Hawks were just a better hockey club than the 2010 Pens.

2013 might have been a paper dragon. Misused or not, Iginla wasn't much use 5 on 5 at that point in his career. Between him, Morrow (who was good for a short time after the trade), Murray, Orpik and Adams, this hockey club was slow.

Now, 2011 would be interesting if not for injuries. With a better coach and a healthy roster, I think that one had a good chance at being a winner.

Boston would’ve stomped us in 2011. Vancouver played a similar game and Henrik and Kessler were arguably comparable to Sid and Geno that year.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Boston would’ve stomped us in 2011. Vancouver played a similar game and Henrik and Kessler were arguably comparable to Sid and Geno that year.

Boston beat Vancouver by beating them up. That would not have worked against the 2011 Pens, who were a far more physical hockey club than Vancouver was. Possibly more physical than Boston was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad