Speculation: Was the juice worth the squeeze?

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
What the hell do you expect will happen in the next 3-4 years?

The reality is, we are two good, top-pair defensemen away from a playoff spot. Chia could get those two guys this summer, if he is smart.

Those are so easy to come by. We should have 3 or 4 by the draft I am sure.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
The problem is that Oiler fans have been saying this since 2008. It could conceivably take another 20 years for the Oilers to make the playoffs. It's not the players, it's the coaching staff and management that need to change.

We'll the way I see it were in year 2 of the rebuild with the ultimate goal of a cup in 5 years.

The McTavish Tambo Era shouldn't count.

I mean have the leafs been rebuilding since 67?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I hope you are right. I would love to see McDavid hoist the cup.

I see it happening in the short term the summer of 14 the islanders had with grabovski boychuk halak I can see the oilers having with 2 dmen like hamonic and vatenen.

Not exactly the sexiest names but will make a world of difference on the team.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I get pity from colleagues who are Flames fans.

:/

I basically reframed it as this:

"Imagine your entire management team comprised of complimentary players from your 89 cup win".

GM - Rob Ramage
Associate GM - Jim Peplinski
Advisor - Joel Otto
AHL GM - Mark Hunter
Player Development - Gary Suter
Scout - Brian MacLemman, and Rick Wamsley.

I loathe the flames, and I wouldn't want to wish that on them.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
The problem is that Oiler fans have been saying this since 2008. It could conceivably take another 20 years for the Oilers to make the playoffs. It's not the players, it's the coaching staff and management that need to change.

They have not done enough, Norman. The Oilers have had four #1 draft picks in the last 6 years. They need to develop a culture of winning. Maybe trade away RNH and Yakupov. Acquire a elite goalie. Bring in Bruce Boudeau.

Holy ****, you have absolutely no freaking clue what you are talking about. :laugh:

Boot Lowe out of hockey ops, push MacT to the side until his contract runs out, hire a respected guy in Chiarelli for GM, and PoHo, fire a bunch of scouts, fire the old coaching staff, hire a respected coach in McLellan, and his staff, hire a respected CIS championship coach, and that isn't enough. Not to mention Talbot has done a fantastic job so far with the Oilers.

Stick to the Jets, pal.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Holy ****, you have absolutely no freaking clue what you are talking about. :laugh:

Boot Lowe out of hockey ops, push MacT to the side until his contract runs out, hire a respected guy in Chiarelli for GM, and PoHo, fire a bunch of scouts, fire the old coaching staff, hire a respected coach in McLellan, and his staff, hire a respected CIS championship coach, and that isn't enough. Not to mention Talbot has done a fantastic job so far with the Oilers.

Stick to the Jets, pal.

Oilers record last year: 31-43-8.

They still need to make changes.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
well he's not wrong, they still need to change quite a few things, perhaps even drastically, and I don't think anyone should be give Toddy Mac a free pass just because he's a new head coach, it's fair criticize. Quite frankly I thought he was mediocre. While the team had good stretches, things completely fell off the rails by the end, I'd say coaching most definitely bears some responsibility for that. The power play was a total failure. Regardless if you don't have a Dman or two to QB that thing, you have enough skill, playmaking and overall talent to at least be middle of the pack. And if Chiarelli deems it necessary, they very well may trade Hall.

There's only one untouchable and that's McDavid.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
We'll the way I see it were in year 2 of the rebuild with the ultimate goal of a cup in 5 years.

The McTavish Tambo Era shouldn't count.

I mean have the leafs been rebuilding since 67?
I said in 2010 that it was going to take 5 years for this team to make the playoffs AFTER Kevin Lowe was gone. If you want to believe he isn't involved in hockey ops anymore then, you're right, we are in year two of the rebuild. If he is still involved then we have a while to wait yet.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
well he's not wrong, they still need to change quite a few things, perhaps even drastically, and I don't think anyone should be give Toddy Mac a free pass just because he's a new head coach, it's fair criticize. Quite frankly I thought he was mediocre. While the team had good stretches, things completely fell off the rails by the end, I'd say coaching most definitely bears some responsibility for that. The power play was a total failure. Regardless if you don't have a Dman or two to QB that thing, you have enough skill, playmaking and overall talent to at least be middle of the pack. And if Chiarelli deems it necessary, they very well may trade Hall.

There's only one untouchable and that's McDavid.

He went out of his way to say it isn't on the players, it's on coaching, and management. So yeah, he is wrong. How anyone can give the players a free pass, while blaming new management that wanted to see what we have before making changes, and a coaching staff trying to un-teach a decade of suck is beyond me.

Ogopogo*

They have not done enough, Norman. The Oilers have had four #1 draft picks in the last 6 years. They need to develop a culture of winning. Maybe trade away RNH and Yakupov. Acquire a elite goalie. Bring in Bruce Boudeau.

You must be new here Willie. They have a new coach and GM who is planning to take apart the core this summer. Goaltending is fine, the defense is what sucks. Fix that and they will be a playoff team.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Yeah, kind of like having your ugly, also single, cousin try and provide you with "dating" tips.

Yeah Id rather have our John Stamos from the 80s make commercials with our Bieberesque McDavid than have Jets who never have kissed a girl in the analogy chrip.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
After what transpired today, the juice was worth the squeeze.

What transpired today that made the juice worth the squeeze? Has the defense been addressed because to my knowledge it has not.

Like being dehydrated in a desert and needing "juice" and being given a realy nice hamburger.

Just leaves you wanting the "juice".

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
My glass half full way of viewing the past decade:

7 teams have won the Cup since we lost in Game in 06. That means there are 22 other losers along with us the past decade.

The greatest sporting moments are seeing incredible talents play for your team and winning championships. We haven't gotten the championship part yet but getting McDavid really made things a lot brighter.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes it was worth it. After 1988, for a good 15 years there even with the 2006 run, I never thought we would ever get a player like McDavid again.

I remember watching the Tavares draft year and seeing the celebration at their draft party and being so jealous.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
It will never have been worth the 10 years. Because the 10 years didn't build to anything. If the Oilers ever do build anything it will be because they lucked into McDavid and will need a smart GM (hopefully it's Chia) who can build the team properly.

It was a wasted decade that we'll never get back as Oiler fans.

this pretty much sums up my feelings.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I shake my head everytime I see this thread pop up. Don't we need to actually see some juice before we can determine if it was worth the squeeze? I'm optimistic things will eventually turn around but they sure haven't yet. Drafting another 18 year old kid hasn't changed that even though he's a prospect we're all excited about.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00