Proposal: WAS-PHI

Jun 15, 2007
Philly is in last place. Wayne Simmonds is UFA. He's not the same player he was a few years ago so I think they're looking to move on.

Washington is looking to repeat. They are looking to add a pure rental since they need the cap space for Vrana. Andre Burakovksy has looked lost. He needs a change of scenery. RFA at the end of the season.

At the deadline:

To WAS:
Wayne Simmonds (a small amount of salary retained to make it work)

To PHI:
Andre Burakovsky
3rd round pick

Thoughts?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I would imagine that Philly would seek a 1st for Simmonds. That being said I don't think there is anything wrong with the value there, I'd imagine Burakovsky isn't necessarily a highly sought after piece at the moment but I'm sure that if someone thinks he fits what they're trying to do they would value him around a first.

Reactions: Lurch

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Maybe I'm off base, but it seems like a bad trade for Philly?

Granted, Burakovsky is struggling right now, but he also has to be qualified at 3.25 mil this year and its not exactly clear that he's worth that?

wouldn't Philly prefer a 1st and an NHL body? Or is Simmonds not worth that?

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
i like it because it's bad for the Caps.

i also don't like it because it's good for the Flyers.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Philly is in last place. Wayne Simmonds is UFA. He's not the same player he was a few years ago so I think they're looking to move on.

Washington is looking to repeat. They are looking to add a pure rental since they need the cap space for Vrana. Andre Burakovksy has looked lost. He needs a change of scenery. RFA at the end of the season.

At the deadline:

To WAS:

To PHI:
Andre Burakovsky
3rd round pick

Thoughts?
Done, even without the pick.

Reactions: 895

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I like this trade.

Would hate to see Simmonds and Wilson on the same team, especially one in which we would play a lot, but I think this is a good trade.

Well done OP

Reactions: CapsJunkie

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
This might be my favorite proposal ever on HF and I’ve always staunchly defended Burt. Not sure I’d add the pick but if it’s necessary so be it.

It’s becoming more and more clear he needs more TOI, higher responsibility, and some good complementary players on his line to produce and he’s never going to get that in Wsh. I used to question the difference between he and Vrana and it’s become no question Vrana is a driver and Burt a right-lane kinda guy. Still can be a good player but it’s unlikely to happen in Wsh. I think he’d do well in EDM with McDavid but if a player needs THAT to put it together, the odds are not favorable. Burakovsky is trending into MoJohansson territory for me.

Reactions: Kolzilla

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
With Holmgren at the helm right now, you might as well add a 2nd to Simmonds cuz it's gonna happen.

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
I think this is a solid proposal that really comes down to team philosophy and situation. Burt has talent and could be a consistent 20-goal guy....in the right situation. Unfortunately, as others have said, he rarely drives play and is more a complimentary player. So, if he comes at a good cap hit, he's the kind of guy you want in the top 6 with players like Voracek and Giroux.

Wsh will probably need to move on and acquiring Simmonds for the playoffs is a fine way to do that. Maybe make the pick conditional on resigning.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
This only seems like a bad trade for Washington because not enough people watch Burakovsky play. He’s not going through a bad slump or two. He’s had a rough hundred games or so.

I’d be pretty excited if the Caps could turn Burakovsky into an impact rental. At playoff time, Simmonds is exactly the type of banger with skill that the Caps want in their lineup. He fits really well with how they play.

Realistically, though, Philly should hold out for a first rounder instead.

If the Flyers believe they can turn it around for a guy who hasn’t found his footing, though, it might be appealing. It’s undoubtedly a thought-provoking proposal.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA

At the deadline:

To WAS:

To PHI:
Andre Burakovsky
3rd round pick

Thoughts?
I would do this in a second.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Simmonds is a guy who's scored nearly 50% of his goals on the powerplay since arriving in Philadelphia. As a right shot, he would be in direct competition with TJ Oshie, Tom Wilson, and Brett Connolly for powerplay time. Further still, his best PP attributes would be slightly miscast on the Caps PP scheme (the right shooting bumper position for the Caps is further away from the net than Simmonds typically plays). Barring Oshie's injury being much more significant than currently thought (which is a possibility), Simmonds isn't a great fit for the Caps.

I'd be interested in Michael Raffl, however. Caps could use another PK forward.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I am confused.

Burakovsky is not better than Giroux or JVR at LW.
This year he has 6 points in 24 games. Lindblom has 11 points in 24 games.
So for 3 million, he is producing less than the sub 1 million Lindblom.
Seems like that is a waste of money and just clutters things for Lindblom.

I would rather just trade Simmonds for picks at this point....or at the very least, a RW replacement coming back in a deal, not a LW.

Reactions: Jormungandr and pit

DaftCaptain

Apr 9, 2014
ATL
wonderbeardproductions.com

At the deadline:

To WAS:

To PHI:
Andre Burakovsky
3rd round pick

Thoughts?
we are only 10 pts any from #1 thats only 5 game needed if everyone else ***ts the bed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad