Speculation: Was Marleau a bad influence?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't know if he was a bad influence, but there is really no sign of him having a positive effect on our young guys. At best he seemed like a non-factor, just another guy on the team.

How do you know that Marleau didn’t advise Matthews to come clean to the team and Matthews chose to ignore the advice?
I think that it was reported somewhere that Marleau didn't give that advice?

Either way, if Matthews just ignored him that's another sign that Marleau didn't really have much influence.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I doubt he was a bad influence in any way.

Can't imagine he provided anything close to a first round pick and 6.5 million a season worth of good influence, though.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Hear me out.

Matthews and Marner were very modest kids coming into the NHL. They spent a lot of time with Marleau. Progressively over the years Matthews and Marner gained bad attitudes. Matthews went from humble hard worker who always took things on his shoulder to making constant smirky comments and really is not as aggressive in loose puck battles and stripping pucks as he was as a rookie. Marner came in giving up performance bonuses to squeezing every last penny when he knew it’ll hurt his team.

When Marleau came in he demanded 3 years knowing the third year will hurt the leafs. He even asked for a trade in that third year to return only to the sharks making the leafs pay a 1st to offload him so a team can buy him out.

I know I’m reaching a bit here, but does anyone ever wonder if Marleau’s presence was not the best for them? He was also stripped of the captaincy in the past and asked for a trade than backed out and left his team at 38 to go money chasing

work ethic and attitudes of these two definitely didn’t improve with Marleau around and they did spend a lot of time with him.

The contract demands also show me they weren’t really shown much about putting the team ahead of yourself.

I understand there is a lot of assumptions here and I may be reaching but something in the culture of this team went completely wrong. Having a rookie GM throughout a lot of this didn’t help either.

The worst influence on a young talented player in Toronto, is Toronto itself. The media, the adoring fans, the local businesses and hype. They view themselves as special, and are grossly overpaid to reinforce this opinion.

Put these players in a town where few care or in a blue collar city. They are cheered for success and championships, or else they are ignored, and you produce a different breed of player. Probably pursue a different type of player quite frankly.

Marleau just taught them how to be a pro. It's telling that Matthews called Marleau early after his current legal situation. He was trusted.

Time will tell what type of players they become, this year is a key indicator.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Nylander plays his kind of game. Most teams would kill to have him. The problem comes when you can’t insulate him properly. Instead of having heavy hard working forwards we have fragile less skilled types of Nylanders in the lower seeded positions. We don’t have multiple layers to our team.

just to point out I really am mainly talking about the attitude and culture of the leafs and specifically the attitude change in Matthews and Marner since they came into the league

out,,,,kadri/brown/hainsey/zaits/marl ,,, 5 guys that play heavier hockey with a mix of grit and defencive acumen but they got labelled useless on purely offencive #s , i could also throw in Martin/Komarov but but but the children that post here only care about offencive #s

well they got what they cried for a team that is small/plays small with skill and offence in the brain and look at where we are , a team that looks like soft wet sht

Reactions: Trapper

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
It depends, do you want your players not playing physical or with emotion with very little playoff success?
If yes he was a perfect mentor.
But they are wonderful citizens however.

Good point OP, I had never thought about this.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
I completely agree. Nylanders cowardly play is killing the culture of this team. Babcock needs to address it. Probably not a bad idea to send Kerfoot and Barrie to the press box for a game.
Nylander or Kerfoot are playing quite well imho, Barrie has not found his game but not sure the press box would help him find it. I think Hyman coming back helps team toughness and hopefully becomes contagious. I feel a coaching change is needed, that is what will probably end up helping this team the most and feel Marleau did more then adequate job.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
out,,,,kadri/brown/hainsey/zaits/marl ,,, 5 guys that play heavier hockey with a mix of grit and defencive acumen but they got labelled useless on purely offencive #s , i could also throw in Martin/Komarov but but but the children that post here only care about offencive #s

well they got what they cried for a team that is small/plays small with skill and offence in the brain and look at where we are , a team that looks like soft wet sht

So true. Everyone who wasn’t a dangle, snipe kind of player was labeled with some condescending label.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I completely agree. Nylanders cowardly play is killing the culture of this team. Babcock needs to address it. Probably not a bad idea to send Kerfoot and Barrie to the press box for a game.
That coward as you put it is the only one producing right now and showing any sort of energy when he scores. Nylander is far from the problem. as usual you’re way off

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Marleau came to the Leafs as a mercenary seeking top dollar, and squeezed us for an extra year.

Seems to me he probably told Matthews, Marner and Nylander to get as much money as they can asap.

I don't think that's necessarily bad advice. But I think he gets wayyyy too much credit as a team player. He's not a team-first guy.

Clear example is his unwillingness to sacrifice his consecutive games streak for the good of the team.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019

I don't think you actually watched with your eyes open or ever watched Marleau play much if you actually think heavier hockey, grit, or defensive acumen are reasonable descriptions of his play. You are just riding off his reputation based on his demographics, which in hockey holds much more weight than your actual on ice play. Marleau is the softest player to ever put on a pair of skates. This is only observable if you try to observe his play as a player without emotional attachment or stereotypes associated with him that come from being a 6'2 Canadian who doesn't express much of a personality

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Hear me out.

Matthews and Marner were very modest kids coming into the NHL. They spent a lot of time with Marleau. Progressively over the years Matthews and Marner gained bad attitudes. Matthews went from humble hard worker who always took things on his shoulder to making constant smirky comments and really is not as aggressive in loose puck battles and stripping pucks as he was as a rookie. Marner came in giving up performance bonuses to squeezing every last penny when he knew it’ll hurt his team.

When Marleau came in he demanded 3 years knowing the third year will hurt the leafs. He even asked for a trade in that third year to return only to the sharks making the leafs pay a 1st to offload him so a team can buy him out.

I know I’m reaching a bit here, but does anyone ever wonder if Marleau’s presence was not the best for them? He was also stripped of the captaincy in the past and asked for a trade than backed out and left his team at 38 to go money chasing

work ethic and attitudes of these two definitely didn’t improve with Marleau around and they did spend a lot of time with him.

The contract demands also show me they weren’t really shown much about putting the team ahead of yourself.

I understand there is a lot of assumptions here and I may be reaching but something in the culture of this team went completely wrong. Having a rookie GM throughout a lot of this didn’t help either.
I don't agree with your observations of Matthews and Marner to begin with, and I don't think theres a shred of evidence to suggest that Marleau was in any way a bad influence on anyone.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Marleau came to the Leafs as a mercenary seeking top dollar, and squeezed us for an extra year.

Seems to me he probably told Matthews, Marner and Nylander to get as much money as they can asap.

I don't think that's necessarily bad advice. But I think he gets wayyyy too much credit as a team player. He's not a team-first guy.

Clear example is his unwillingness to sacrifice his consecutive games streak for the good of the team.
This is a good post, never really thought of some of these points before.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Confusing. Didn't we used to say he was a good mentor/leader (especially during the PM trade talk discussions)?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Can you expand on the bolded?

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Looks like they are missing Marleau's influence the way things are going.

Why are Marner and Matthews thought to have bad attitudes?

Do you think a few months is enough for somebody to radically change their attitudes?

I doubt their personalities are any different from when Marleau was a teammate

Last edited:
Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Looks like they are missing Marleau's influence the way things are going.

Why are Marner and Matthews thought to have bad attitudes?

Because they took our GM to the cleaners on their contacts. Also because Matthews got arrested and thought he could hide it from the organization. He clearly doesn’t respect Dubas.

Its obvious Dubas is the problem more than they are, but when you sign for as much as they did and then play like they are then people are going to question their work ethic.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
That's totally unfair.
Yea? And why's that? Why is the media and leafs fans so adamant about giving Marleau a free pass for things others get criticized for even though with them it's not even as much of an issue?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I don't agree with your observations of Matthews and Marner to begin with, and I don't think theres a shred of evidence to suggest that Marleau was in any way a bad influence on anyone.

I just feel like their attitude wasn’t an issue before when they came into the league. Marleau was supposed to guide them and he really didn’t. The high contracts, Matthews legal trouble and Mitch calling out the Matthews contract to the media. Or his agent which I doubt he didn’t know about before hand

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Wow... talk about a reaching over exaggeration. Blaming him for anything negative to do with the young core is just pure lunacy. He was a teammate and a friend.....NOT their father.

Too many posters here act like they are the ultimate insider when in point of fact they know sweet f*** all...

Reactions: ACC1224 and Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad