Confirmed Signing with Link: [WAS] Marcus Johansson (3 Years, $4.583M AAV)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I know this was sarcastic but that's my knock on Mojo and an explanation for the Caps going out every year - with those 3 guys and Backstrom that's too many guys who float in the offensive end and Mojo is the only one making market value.

Backstrom has 11pts in 12 games these playoffs while skating shutdown against Giroux and Crosby who did next to nothing combined against him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Backstrom has 11pts in 12 games these playoffs while skating shutdown against Giroux and Crosby who did next to nothing combined against him.

A) Giroux was injured

B) Backstrom did most of his damage in the Flyers series on the powerplay against their heinous penalty kill.

Game 1

1 assist on the Powerplay in 2-0 win

Game 2

2 assists on the Powerplay in 4-1 win

Game 3

1 powerplay assist - 1 assist at 4 on 4 play (Richards and Simmonds off for roughing) after he chipped the puck out from his side of the neutral zone to Ovechkin who fired a wrist shot in from beyond the top of the circles, in a 6-1 win.

Game 6

1 goal in 1-0 win - it came 4 seconds after a Ryan White penalty expired, making it essentially a Powerplay goal

At 5 on 5 play, Giroux and Backstrom completely neutralized each other, Washington just had a powerplay firing on all cylinders against a Flyers penalty kill that inexplicably refused to adjust their passive approach until late in the series despite getting toasted over and over again through 3 games.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
They know exactly what they have in Marge, they have no idea what they have in ELC players like Barber, Vrana or Stephenson.

It was time to move on, ironically just as the Canadians moved on from Eller, another season they have chosen to keep Marge. :shakehead

"Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it".

Another first or second round exit here they come.

GoHardtotheGoal

Jun 6, 2010
in a tent
Relax. It's a one year deal worth $4.25M. Next year he'll be on the Las Vegas Knights playing for coach Bruce (Butch) Cassidy.

GMGM's 2nd biggest bust!

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Wow a player getting market value at 4.5, thats a disaster.
No but Backstrom has one of the league's best deals, Kuzy's getting $2M this coming season, Burakowsky on a rookie deal I think.
I'm saying they can't get rid of him or Kuzy because they're great, between them and Mojo that's too many top 6 Fs that don't go below the hash marks much.

HockeyTS32

Jun 14, 2011
Fair deal. Funny when non caps fans whining and caps fans don't, like wtf. I think this is a fair deal for both sides.

There are actually a number of caps fans that don't like Mojo, nor do they like this deal. I'm not quite sure why people hate on him though. There is no doubt that earlier on in his career he was soft, not great defensively, made bad decisions with the puck, and missed a number of golden opportunities. However, he was a young player playing in the show. Furthermore, I think the caps rushed him a bit.

I think most teams have that one player on their team that their fan bases just don't like and mojo seems to be the guy. (him or Opik)

Again, I'm not quite sure why. Mojo has been getting better and better each year and produced 2nd line points playing on the 3rd line last year. Most caps fans will say that is due to his time on the PP, but I'm pretty sure he only got like 15 points or something like that on the PP. The rest were ES, while mainly playing with Chimera and Wilson. Furthermore, he is one of the fastest guys on the team, if not the fastest now that chimera is gone. He's a huge part of the caps PP since hes one of the only players that can bring the puck in under control and set up the PP. Others just dump the puck and the opposing team's PK unit beats the caps to the puck and ices it. He's also a great passer on the PP as him and Backstrom make some unbelievable cross ice passes to Ovie that somehow get through the opposing teams sticks and skates. He's also gotten better in the D zone. When he plays wing, he's usually always covering his point and when he plays center, he's almost always down low helping the D out. He also doesn't seem to have any trouble getting the puck out of the zone when he receives a pass at/around the hash marks.

For all those reasons and the fact that you look at some comparable signings recently, the deal isn't that bad. It's a tad bit of an over-payment, but not too much. Especially when he could have been awarded a higher salary in arbitration.

HockeyTS32

Jun 14, 2011
I'm saying they can't get rid of him or Kuzy because they're great, between them and Mojo that's too many top 6 Fs that don't go below the hash marks much.

It's never a bad thing to have guys that can play in the top 6 play on the 3rd line...Did you not watch the Cup Finals....

Having said all that Mojo is a very versatile player that can play all 3 positions on any line other than the 4 since he's not much of a grinder and checking player. Not sure why that is a bad thing to have on your team. And you comment about going below the hash marks makes absolutely no sense. All three of the players you are talking about routinly go below the hashmarks and goal line when they do the cycle game and none of them get pushed of the puck. Sure Mojo used to, but he's been getting better the past few seasons...hell he's even starting to throw his body around a bit.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
No but Backstrom has one of the league's best deals, Kuzy's getting $2M this coming season, Burakowsky on a rookie deal I think.

Kuzy goes very often below the hashmarks. Have you not seen his trademark twister pass from behind the net? I think Kuznetsov is very dangerous from anywhere in the offensive zone, he just needs more power on his shots.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
There are actually a number of caps fans that don't like Mojo, nor do they like this deal. I'm not quite sure why people hate on him though.

Because in the playoffs he is a non-factor. It was/is time to move on from butter soft players who shrivel up and disappear when the games mean something.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

What this guy can do with the puck is amazing. He really is Datsyuk's apprentice.

Because in the playoffs he is a non-factor. It was/is time to move on from butter soft players who shrivel up and disappear when the games mean something.

Pittsburgh is loaded with butter soft players, it didn't prevent them from winning the Cup. MJ was decent this year in the playoffs, let's be honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad