Was last season the last big gasp for fighting in the NHL?

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I check Hocketfightsdotcom everyday. Somedays I see no fights, some days a few. Very little to few fights from guys like Scott, Orr, McLaren, McGrattan, Thornton, Neil, Gazdic and others.

This season their seems to be a bunch of fights by grinders. Not only that but refs are moving in sooner than before and breaking up fights.

I love highlight reel goals, big hits and all that jazz but I miss a good fight........

Can't really think of ONE good fight this season.........

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I check Hocketfightsdotcom everyday. Somedays I see no fights, some days a few. Very little to few fights from guys like Scott, Orr, McLaren, McGrattan, Thornton, Neil, Gazdic and others.

This season their seems to be a bunch of fights by grinders. Not only that but refs are moving in sooner than before and breaking up fights.

I love highlight reel goals, big hits and all that jazz but I miss a good fight........

Can't really think of ONE good fight this season.........

I miss the Old NHL that I grew up watching as opposed to this as well.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Enforcers are almost out of the game. There was a big change this offseason where enforcers were slowly being waived one by one. Not sure why it happened last offseason and not the one before.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Fighting in Vancouver has been very boring since Rypien left us.

Bieksa had a decent scrap with Simmonds last week but it was hardly a showstopper. Sestito is down on the farm now too. Dorsett scraps but they are usually middleweight battles or quick ones.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Lucic vs Prout was pretty good.

Also, you can't really have a good fight because as soon as the guys start slugging and get an arm free the refs come swooping in like nerds. Basically if guys start throwing, or a helmet comes off the refs are in there quickly. It sucks, it's lame.

Its going to be brutal once a ref jumps in, grabs a guy and the other guy smashes him with a right hand that one fighter couldn't defend because he was being held by a ref.

One of the most frustrating things i have seen this year was two very experienced fighters, guys who have each fought almost 200 times square off and the refs jump in before they start going (Thornton and Neil)

The league is going in the toilet.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
They did that in STL earlier this year when Reaves and Boulton were squaring off, I lost it and was inventing swear words for the linesmen. It would have been really interesting to see if Reaves could have held his own with an "Old School" heavyweight like Boulton

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
It's not just the NHL either. The OHL this year seems to of had a massive drop in fights as well. Made it to about 10 Spitfires games earlier in the year and caught only 1 or 2 fights. Shocked to find out they lead the whole league in fighting majors by a large margin too. Can't imagine junior hockey maintaining popularity this way. Have attendance figures been trending at all since Branch introduced the new rules?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
It's never going to go away entirely. People may bleat and moan, but the fact of the matter is hockey crowds love the fighters. Always have, always will. Too many people want it too much. Besides goals, what brings arenas to life like a good scrap?

The league hems and haws about this every bloody year during the regular season, but just watch. Playoffs come, the same wars will start just like they do every season. Those scrappers who all went through waivers? You'll be seeing them again. The totally one-dimensional goon who can't play a la Semenko is a thing of the past but fighting isn't.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
It's not just the NHL either. The OHL this year seems to of had a massive drop in fights as well. Made it to about 10 Spitfires games earlier in the year and caught only 1 or 2 fights. Shocked to find out they lead the whole league in fighting majors by a large margin too. Can't imagine junior hockey maintaining popularity this way. Have attendance figures been trending at all since Branch introduced the new rules?

How far back do you go with Windsor? Do you remember the classic Ryan VandenBuscche,
V Tom Sullivan tilt?

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
It's never going to go away entirely. People may bleat and moan, but the fact of the matter is hockey crowds love the fighters. Always have, always will. Too many people want it too much. Besides goals, what brings arenas to life like a good scrap?

The league hems and haws about this every bloody year during the regular season, but just watch. Playoffs come, the same wars will start just like they do every season. Those scrappers who all went through waivers? You'll be seeing them again. The totally one-dimensional goon who can't play a la Semenko is a thing of the past but fighting isn't.

With John Scott in the league I don't necessarily agree with that last statement.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Why should the NHL let the fighting and or the enforcer role "Die" I have never seen anyone run for the exits when to heavyweights have a good scrap and the game is better when the players are allowed to police themselves

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Bad news its definitely not happening nearly enough.

Good news is there is no way it ever goes away completely unless the NHL completely outlaws fights and in the process loses a lot of fans.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I hope not but fear the answer is yes

The career of the "goon" and "staged fights" is gone.

Fighting is still there and for the most part it's players sticking up for themselves or a linemate sticking up for teammates. I'm all for this fighting. I believe in players keeping players honest, but he term "player' has become too generous to some of the people we have seen come over the boards and hammer on another goon.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I hope not but fear the answer is yes

Fighting is still there and for the most part it's players sticking up for themselves or a linemate sticking up for teammates. I'm all for this fighting. I believe in players keeping players honest, but he term "player' has become too generous to some of the people we have seen come over the boards and hammer on another goon.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site

Staged fights is a ******** term created by the media, no such thing as a staged fight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad