Was John Ziegler A Bad NHL President?

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Not admitting Houston was a huge mistake, that looks more ridiculous 40 years after the team voted to suspend operations, as a result of not entering the NHL. The largest market without an NHL team in North America. An NHL_ready arena, that is only 15 years old, a natural rivalry with the Stars, and most importantly, an NHL team in Houston would balance out the Divisions.

The NHL should have granted an NHL team to Houston after their failed bid for the Oilers in the late 90s. Instead Atlanta was granted a second team, and we all know how that went down. Raleigh, NC was also a poor choice for an NHL team. In fact, of the six cities either awarded an NHL team by expansion or relocation between 1996-2000, only Minnesota would have done better than a team in Houston.

Phoenix (1996): a complete disaster. The owners never even bothered to properly survey the America West Arena, as there were hundreds of obstructed seats for hockey. When the team moved to the suburbs, people in the region stopped caring about the team. The Coyotes have been on life support for nearly a decade.

Carolina (1997): They would have been better off staying in Hartford, and building a new arena. The first two years, in particular, make the team the laughing stock of the sports world, when they were forced to play in front of 80% empty seats in Greensboro. Like Nashville, the Canes could attract interest with a competitive club, but more often than not, they are terrible.

Nashville (1998): successful today, but it took years before the team really caught on with the locals, and they nearly relocated to Hamilton.

Atlanta (1999): A decade of poor ownership caused locals to stop attending games, and at the end, could only manage to fill 1/2 the arena. Never won a playoff games, and lost their second NHL team to Winnipeg.

Minnesota (2000): A model team. Well run organization, competitive, and located in a traditional hockey market. Big win by the NHL for allowing Minnesota to return to the league.

Columbus (2000): Not sure what the issue is with Columbus, but it was obvious from day one that the local would have supported the team as it matured. However, after nearly 20 seasons, the Blue Jackets have never won a playoff round, and rarely sellout any games.

Please, Mr. Fertitta. Bring a team to Houston now!

That may be the most reductionist post I've ever seen here.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
I do appreciate all this info..that is where I was getting at and why I was confused with Boston saying NO to Houston/Cincy but allowing "New England" errr...I mean Hartford into the league...I never knew Jacobs made $$$$ off of allowing the Whalers in, and if that is the case then I can see why he allowed such a close proximity team to join the league.

For the record the Bruins did not "allow" the Whalers in. As DowntownBooster said a three-quarters majority (13/17) was needed to approve the merger agreement, and their first vote in '79 was one vote short: the Bruins, Kings, Canucks, Canadiens and Maple Leafs voted against it. The final vote ended up 14-3, after the Canucks and Habs owners changed their minds, but Jeremy Jacobs, Jack Kent Cooke and Harold Ballard still voted against it. Jacobs never agreed to the Whalers joining the NHL.

They all made money off the WHA teams going though, about $1.4 million right off the bat in "expansion fees".

Spirit of McMullen

3 since 82
Apr 19, 2018
i remember back in the '88 playoffs, he was a no show when the refs went on strike after
the incident where jim schoenfeld called out ref don koharski about loving donuts...

Yes, the infamous "Doughnutgate" incident and as others have pointed out, he had issues with his son being involved in some sort of cult or something. I believe there was rumors of on going problems, substance abuse issues, etc. with this same son as well. They couldn't find Ziegler for days during the Koharski/Schoenfeld/court injunction/referee walkout debacle, as he seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth. Very bizarre story.

Ziegler`s absence hasn`t been explained, but speculation is that he was going to the aid of his son. The Toronto Star reported Thursday that Ziegler was away so he could deal with the plight of a son who`s ''caught up in the tentacles of a cult.''
WIRTZ TAKES HEAT OFF NHL PRESIDENT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad