Was It Worth It For You?

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Sorry for the new thread, but I actually haven't seen people talking about this in the threads.

I'm not going to lie; the past few weeks has been pretty freaking awesome as an Oilers fan. Winning the lottery and the right to draft McDavid, watching the team get a real GM while removing Lowe from the hockey operations side, and knowing there's a possibility of a good coach coming in have all been great.

That being said, the past two years (ie. the MacTavish and Eakins era) was pretty awful - there were times last year I found myself hoping the team would lose just to increase the probability that the brain trust would get sacked.

However, without those two horrible years, the team would have had no chance to get McDavid and quality GMs like Chiarelli and top-end coaches like Babcock likely don't give the Oilers the time of day.

In the end, was it worth it for you?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Similar posts elsewhere I think but no, not worth it. 9 years of suck for maybe a few years of not suck... Nope management butchered this rebuild.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
I just wanted to watch some good hockey again, but instead we get a windfall over a few weeks and things look more than promising.

I'm not sure really... these last years have been a total write off, almost to the point where I lost touch with the team that I fell in love with so long ago. I'll never stop being an Oilers fan, but it's tough to get that feeling of excitement back, but this season might change that if McDavid is as good as he's chalked up to be and significant changes to the roster are made.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A) I need to see some actual improvements to the team before I would even approach to answer it. You ask in the end was it worth it? Well we aren't even close to the end.

B) Ignore part A of my response :sarcasm: Even if we see improvements.... probably not, no. I've wasted a third of my life on crappy Oiler teams (thats just since the cup run, and ignores that the team has never actually been any good during my life time as an Oiler fan). Don't get me wrong, it will be awesome if the team succeeds and starts to become a real team again, but that doesn't mean it was worth it to sit through the last 2(or 9) years of misery. This has been a special kind of bad that almost no team has replicated in league history. There are a lot of ways to build a successful team. This was not one of them. Maybe now they will luck into it... but that doesn't mean it was worth it. Nine years is a long time to waste hoping to get good one day. And we aren't even there yet. Not even really close TBH.

Don't get me wrong. That doesn't mean I wont be happy and thrilled and excited if the team actually becomes good. But that doesn't mean it was worth it...

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yes, for me

Land a generational prospect, plus possibly the best coach in the NHL and become a desirable fa location

And also have 5 other stud's to round on the line up

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Ask me again when:

We make the playoffs
We have a legitimate top pairing
We have a real #2 goalie
McDavid lives up to the hype

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
To get rid of Lowe & MacTavish? Hell yes. McD is gravy.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
I'm going with yes. Let's put the past to rest.

Lord knows, we need some feel good about this team. Not just for us but the players too.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Sorry for the new thread, but I actually haven't seen people talking about this in the threads.

I'm not going to lie; the past few weeks has been pretty freaking awesome as an Oilers fan. Winning the lottery and the right to draft McDavid, watching the team get a real GM while removing Lowe from the hockey operations side, and knowing there's a possibility of a good coach coming in have all been great.

That being said, the past two years (ie. the MacTavish and Eakins era) was pretty awful - there were times last year I found myself hoping the team would lose just to increase the probability that the brain trust would get sacked.

However, without those two horrible years, the team would have had no chance to get McDavid and quality GMs like Chiarelli and top-end coaches like Babcock likely don't give the Oilers the time of day.

In the end, was it worth it for you?

wasn't worth the last 9 years, actually.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
We're still just a team full of potential. McDavid is not worth 9 years of no playoffs. We have no idea what level McDavid will even get to. Culture change is the biggest need for this team. Hopefully that's coming now with Chiarelli.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
A) I need to see some actual improvements to the team before I would even approach to answer it. You ask in the end was it worth it? Well we aren't even close to the end.

B) Ignore part A of my response :sarcasm: Even if we see improvements.... probably not, no. I've wasted a third of my life on crappy Oiler teams (thats just since the cup run, and ignores that the team has never actually been any good during my life time as an Oiler fan). Don't get me wrong, it will be awesome if the team succeeds and starts to become a real team again, but that doesn't mean it was worth it to sit through the last 2(or 9) years of misery. This has been a special kind of bad that almost no team has replicated in league history. There are a lot of ways to build a successful team. This was not one of them. Maybe now they will luck into it... but that doesn't mean it was worth it. Nine years is a long time to waste hoping to get good one day. And we aren't even there yet. Not even really close TBH.

Don't get me wrong. That doesn't mean I wont be happy and thrilled and excited if the team actually becomes good. But that doesn't mean it was worth it...

I don't think that past management lucked into anything here.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
wasn't worth the last 9 years, actually.

So you are saying that you would rather have a happier past than a brighter future. That is the true question here.

Happier memories or happier future.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
So you are saying that you would rather have a happier past than a brighter future. That is the true question here.

What? That is an entirely false equivalency! The question is will the POTENTIAL happiness of the future make up for the crappiness of the last 9 years. I'll say yes only if we turn into a dominant team in this league for a number of years. Not just respectable and making the playoffs. Respectable definitely wasn't worth this crap.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well if you told me after the 2005 lock out that the Oilers were guaranteed one game 7 shot at the Stanley Cup and a generational next Crosby/Gretzky/Mario etc. type talent with a bunch of other talent to go with it ... but a bunch of suck in between for the next 10 years ... I'd probably have to take say "yes, ok" to that.

Still it has been not much fun the last few years.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Man... I can't believe these kind of threads are even beginning to pop up... there is still such a long way to go... it's kind of ridiculous how much the attitude of some fans has changed... all due to sheer dumb luck. I won't know if the last 2 years - even though it's been more like 10 - will have been "worth it" until I see some actual results. If McDavid wasn't in the bag there would be another 2 years to go before things could potentially get better...

I bleed Oiler blue

Dec 29, 2005
From someone who lived through all the good times (Gretzky years) and bad, I can live with the last nine years if this is us pulling out of it. Last week has been exciting........even made me post again, been watching the board for the last few years but no reason to really be excited enough to post.

Plus after having grown up in Edmonton in the glory years, and now having lived in Toronto for the last 13 years, I would easily still take the Oilers last 35 years than the Leafs last 40!

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Why only the last 2 years? For sure it was worth the last 2 years, it's the last 9 years as a whole that I have a big problem with.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

no. I don't think a new GM and a stud player makes up for the putrid organization over the last 9 years. putting a cherry on a pile of crap doesn't make it a sundae.

things look promising but I want to see change and not continue to hope for it. let's see what happens on the ice next year before getting all giddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad