Was I abducted by aliens?

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Now I'm confused AF!!!

That whole portion made no sense.

Like Interstellar, why was he trying to tell his past self not to go on the journey?

There's no ****in way he could do that - he had to leave to be in the tesseract telling himself not to leave.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Plausible theory. Still makes him a total c**t.

If she could see the future and knew her child would die, how was she not supposed to have the child? Didn't she have to have it to fulfill the future?

I hate the future.

That's a good question. I'd like to think that she had a choice and wasn't locked in to determinism. The future IMO isn't immutable regardless of how she perceived events would transpire with Ian so she could've probably chosen not to go down that path but decided she wanted to even if it meant dealing with the pain. It makes sense though, to a degree, he'd leave her without having the benefit of being able to process the past, current and future concurrently like she'd been able to while knowing the implication of their relationship.

I thought she said that she (as in the mom) had a disease. I totally missed the part where it was eluded that the child was going to die.

My memory is a bit fuzzy but IIRC that was in reference to her daughter. After Louise is capable of understanding the Heptapods' language and able to process time in a nonlinear fashion to see her future with Ian and Hannah, it's inferred that her telling Ian about their daughter eventually dying and knowing that it was going to happen all along due to the "gift" the Heptapods gave her is what strained their relationship to the point of him eventually leaving.

It's subtle but the hints are definitely there. This whole article should clear everything up if you're confused though.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
That's a good question. I'd like to think that she had a choice and wasn't locked in to determinism. The future IMO isn't immutable regardless of how she perceived events would transpire with Ian so she could've probably chosen not to go down that path but decided she wanted to even if it meant dealing with the pain. It makes sense though, to a degree, he'd leave her without having the benefit of being able to process the past, current and future concurrently like she'd been able to while knowing the implication of their relationship.

My memory is a bit fuzzy but IIRC that was in reference to her daughter. After Louise is capable of understanding the Heptapods' language and able to process time in a nonlinear fashion to see her future with Ian and Hannah, it's inferred that her telling Ian about their daughter eventually dying and knowing that it was going to happen all along due to the "gift" the Heptapods gave her is what strained their relationship to the point of him eventually leaving.

It's subtle but the hints are definitely there. This whole article should clear everything up if you're confused though.
I totally missed the part of the daughter having cancer. I'll have to re-watch it sometime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad