WJC: Was Forsberg-Naslund duo best ever in WJC?

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
I'd say Nazzy-Forsberg was the best duo in WJC. They hold records in that tournament for a reason.

(Forsberg - points, Näslund - goals).

I think they still has those records ...

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Nothing compares to Forsberg-Näslund, but Esa Keskinen-Esa Tikkanen in 1984 and 1985 was also a good one:

Keskinen 7. 4+8=12
Tikkanen 7. 8+4=12

Keskinen 7. 6+14=20
Tikkanen 7. 7+12=19

Of course, the other 2 players on their lines weren't bad either:

Raimo Helminen 7. 11+13=24 in 1984
Mikko Mäkelä 7. 11+2=13 in 1985

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
As I've stated before in regards to Naslund-Forsberg-Sundstrom:

I think what is often overlooked about this line is that they put up the bulk of their points against a team from Japan, defeating them 20-1.

There is a reason Japan has only competed in one WJC. They were outscored 83-9. The closest game was 6-3, against Germany.

If Japan wasn't there, it's doubtful that the line would have even come close to the record numbers they put up.

Davebo*

Gretzky and whoever the hell he played with wasn't too shabby. What did he have, 22 points or something ridiculous as a 16-year-old?

EDIT: Just looked it up. 17 pts in six games.

Imagine if he'd played the following tournaments he was eligible in. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind he would have blown every scoring record out of the water.

What if....

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
IIHF has an article about the potential of Forsberg's record falling (a little premature, considering it was one game against a weak opponent):

http://www.iihf.com/channels0910/wm20/news/news-singleview-world-juniors/browse/0/article/could-forsbergs-record-fall.html?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=2954&cHash=00b676f094

I will highlight one section that is worth noting:

If Bourque doesn't score 10 points against Switzerland on Monday (as Forsberg did in a 20-1 rout of Japan in '93), his chances of landing the all-time record get a lot lower, because he'll probably have a quiet game somewhere along the way

So of Forsberg's 31 points in 7 games in 1993, 10 of them came in one game. That means he had 21 points in 6 games, a 3.5 pts/game average. While that is still a lot of points, a couple more routs would get a player past 21. However, I would doubt many guys will score 10 points in a game anytime soon, because the competition is never as bad as that Japanese team was.

Rediscoveryx

May 10, 2002
Norrland, Sweden
Visit site
Well, of all the WJC's that I have seen, nothing comes close to Forsberg/Näslund/Sundström in 93. That line was ridiculously dominant in a way that I don't think we'll ever see again.

The Mogilny/Bure line has better players in it, but they weren't as dominant in the WJC's.

Speaking of good lines in the WJC's; didn't USA have a line with Amonte-Roenick-Modano in 1990 that was "pretty good"? I also remember Finland having a line with Jokinen-Hagman-Somervuori in the year they won the gold (98?).

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
IIHF has an article about the potential of Forsberg's record falling (a little premature, considering it was one game against a weak opponent):

http://www.iihf.com/channels0910/wm20/news/news-singleview-world-juniors/browse/0/article/could-forsbergs-record-fall.html?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=2954&cHash=00b676f094

I will highlight one section that is worth noting:

So of Forsberg's 31 points in 7 games in 1993, 10 of them came in one game. That means he had 21 points in 6 games, a 3.5 pts/game average. While that is still a lot of points, a couple more routs would get a player past 21. However, I would doubt many guys will score 10 points in a game anytime soon, because the competition is never as bad as that Japanese team was.

Yeah Latvia is a great team :sarcasm:

Forsberg scored alot of points vs great teams aswell, If I remember correct he did score 4 points vs Canada.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
It's funny how when a Swede has a record, it's only due to poor competition - but the same poor competition is overlooked when talking about Gretzkys records in the early 80:s where the competition was crap compared to today.

And remember, Lidstrom only won his 7 Norrisses since there weren't any good defenders during his peak.:sarcasm:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's funny how when a Swede has a record, it's only due to poor competition - but the same poor competition is overlooked when talking about Gretzkys records in the early 80:s where the competition was crap compared to today.

And remember, Lidstrom only won his 7 Norrisses since there weren't any good defenders during his peak.:sarcasm:

Lidstrom's competition wasn't nearly as good as 80ies competition, Bilros.

Still, Nazzy-Forsberg-Sundstrom has to be considered the most dominant line. And it's nearly a perfect line in its makeup as welll. What some people tend to forget is that Sundstrom was the tourney's MVP when the line was dismantled.

drew1234

Feb 6, 2008
Toronto
Well, of all the WJC's that I have seen, nothing comes close to Forsberg/Näslund/Sundström in 93. That line was ridiculously dominant in a way that I don't think we'll ever see again.

The Mogilny/Bure line has better players in it, but they weren't as dominant in the WJC's.

Speaking of good lines in the WJC's; didn't USA have a line with Amonte-Roenick-Modano in 1990 that was "pretty good"? I also remember Finland having a line with Jokinen-Hagman-Somervuori in the year they won the gold (98?).

WJC history Forsberg/Naslund line was the top. Any player that could rival that would already be in the NHL so theres really no chance of domination.

Forsberg and Naslund were drafted in 1991 and there coming out party of domination was 1993. (2 years after drafted).

Crosby won the NHL scoring race at 19 when he could of been at the WJC. Ovechkin missed his final year of playing in the WJC to play in the NHL. Thats another reason why we wont see a line like Bure/Fedorov/Mogilny in the future as well. Anyone that is good enough to dominant will already be a pro in todays world.

korben*

Mogilny - Fedorov - Bure based on what happened later. But of that country, how about Kamensky - Bykov - Khomutov?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad