Confirmed Signing with Link: [WAS] Capitals re-sign Dmitry Orlov (1 year, $2.57M)

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I don't hate him. I just think he's a waste of cap space and a roster spot for a team in the position that we're in.

While I see your point, having Orlov in the 4/5 spot is a luxury most teams would love to have, particularly with his salary below 3M. I'm sure if you look around the league, nearly every team has a vet somewhere in their D core making more than 3M and either playing lower than 4/5D or simply grossly overpaid for whatever slot they play. In other words, having an Orpik necessitates having an Orlov. I can easily envision a 2017 offseason where we lose Orlov and replace him with an inferior player through FA but at 3M the player we'll get will likely be much worse.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Both parties not sure of the other. Orlov goes long stretches were he plays great and sees lots of ice time, then Trotz loses faith in him in key situations like in the playoffs and down the stretch. Orly needs to cut down on the bad errors but Trotz needs to trust him more. I feel like Trotz is trying to north americanize him too much, you just got to let him do his thing as long as he cleans up the rough edges. If |Boudreau was still coaching this team I bet Orlov is on the top pairing by now.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Both parties not sure of the other. Orlov goes long stretches were he plays great and sees lots of ice time, then Trotz loses faith in him in key situations like in the playoffs and down the stretch. Orly needs to cut down on the bad errors but Trotz needs to trust him more. I feel like Trotz is trying to north americanize him too much, you just got to let him do his thing as long as he cleans up the rough edges. If |Boudreau was still coaching this team I bet Orlov is on the top pairing by now.

I think that also makes him pretty nervous as well so he's prone to more errors.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Orlov is a strong candidate to get taken by McPhee/Vegas. Having him signed beyond this year would have made it even more probable. Caps won't protect 4 d-men (need to do the 7F/3D route), and Carlson, Alzner, Niskanen are far more likely to be protected than Orlov.

So one year make sense

Yeah. This is definitely structured to make Orlov less attractive for the expansion draft.

He'll be an RFA with a credible KHL "out" option, looking for a significant raise in all likelihood. Having his former GM as the guy running the new Vegas team, have to think he's still a top candidate to be selected though.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If the Caps had their way, I still think they would have preferred more term (and thus more cost control and certainty) rather than making Orlov less attractive for Vegas in expansion. The Captials' expansion draft fates will likely be decided in large part by what happens with Bishop and Fleury (and any other high profile dual-goalie situations). As it stands now, Grubauer will be among the most attractive goalies available to Las Vegas in the draft, especially if Bishop and/or Fleury are moved prior to that point. There will be an abundance of decent defenseman available, including at least a couple of Orlov's caliber (especially if Minnesota or Nashville don't protect 4 defensemen). Based on that, Orlov's fate is likely to ride in the hands of what happens with the goalie market. If Vegas needs another young/promising goalie, it seems plausible they select Grubauer over Orlov.

Further still, cost certainly is going to be critical for Washington next year. A huge swathe of their roster is going to be free agents. Orlov getting another raise next year is not something they want to happen with Kuznetsov and Burakovsky also due RFA raises, especially if they want to retain their key UFAs (Alzner, Oshie, Williams).

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Yeah. This is definitely structured to make Orlov less attractive for the expansion draft.

He'll be an RFA with a credible KHL "out" option, looking for a significant raise in all likelihood. Having his former GM as the guy running the new Vegas team, have to think he's still a top candidate to be selected though.

Yep and if he shines he needs a raise right a way. Great thinking

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I really don't think Alzner is getting that much salary from the Caps. Not saying he isn't worth it, but I think around 4.5 is more realistic.

not sure for how long yuove been under that but you should come out more... its nice out here... :nod:

Methot
E Johnson
Dekeyser

all contract similar to What Alzner be looking for and he's better than 2 of them... If Alzner gets to UFA, you can see close to 7M (depending on cap hike)
5.00-5.75 to stay in WAS

thecapsfan

Sep 3, 2012
I really don't think Alzner is getting that much salary from the Caps. Not saying he isn't worth it, but I think around 4.5 is more realistic.

I could easily be wrong, but as I remember it's been said on more than one occasion (and I don't remember where, I believe one of them was either during a Caps game on CSN or NHL network) but Alzner doesn't care/demand as much in terms of money as some other players do. (If you're going to spout this to other people you might want to double fact check me on this though I doubt theirs anything online about it).

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
not sure for how long yuove been under that but you should come out more... its nice out here... :nod:

Methot
E Johnson
Dekeyser

all contract similar to What Alzner be looking for and he's better than 2 of them... If Alzner gets to UFA, you can see close to 7M (depending on cap hike)
5.00-5.75 to stay in WAS

Don't know what you're trying to say. But anyways, trying reading my post again. He definitely is worth over 5.5 and could get more on the open market...with me so far? Now, he took a paycut last contract and has made it abundantly clear he likes WSH and wants to stay here. If there was ever a guy to take a reasonable cap hit, it's Karl Alzner, and it's just another of the many reasons I love the guy.

I stand by my prediction.

I could easily be wrong, but as I remember it's been said on more than one occasion (and I don't remember where, I believe one of them was either during a Caps game on CSN or NHL network) but Alzner doesn't care/demand as much in terms of money as some other players do. (If you're going to spout this to other people you might want to double fact check me on this though I doubt theirs anything online about it).

This, and as I stated earlier, he could've demanded alot more last time he was up for a contract than his current one.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This is the season Orlov either makes the jump to true full time top four dman and gets paid accordingly or is done in D.C.

If it is the latter, Bowey will slide right in to his spot full time next season.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
He has missed so much time due to injuries the last few years and got more productive as the season progressed. With a 1-year deal, it is a defining year for him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Reading this its like Orlov is great and then Trotz for unknown reason loses faith and cuts his ice. Its not hard to see which direction this is tilted.

Lets try this a different way. Coaching says in the 3rd period with a lead don't pass the puck up the middle in your own zone and don't dangle at the offensive blue line. A player after being told that repeatedly does it anyway with numerous pucks ending up in his own net.

Trotz calls it pizza delivery and Orlov is notorious for those kinds of gaffes.

Boudreau is not an idiot. Carlson and Niskanen are both far better than Orlov and one of those two plays top pair with Alzner. Boudreau would not be doing that.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
If the Caps had their way, I still think they would have preferred more term (and thus more cost control and certainty) rather than making Orlov less attractive for Vegas in expansion. The Captials' expansion draft fates will likely be decided in large part by what happens with Bishop and Fleury (and any other high profile dual-goalie situations). As it stands now, Grubauer will be among the most attractive goalies available to Las Vegas in the draft, especially if Bishop and/or Fleury are moved prior to that point. There will be an abundance of decent defenseman available, including at least a couple of Orlov's caliber (especially if Minnesota or Nashville don't protect 4 defensemen). Based on that, Orlov's fate is likely to ride in the hands of what happens with the goalie market. If Vegas needs another young/promising goalie, it seems plausible they select Grubauer over Orlov.

Further still, cost certainly is going to be critical for Washington next year. A huge swathe of their roster is going to be free agents. Orlov getting another raise next year is not something they want to happen with Kuznetsov and Burakovsky also due RFA raises, especially if they want to retain their key UFAs (Alzner, Oshie, Williams).

Interesting post.

Different tune for main boards than you have for the Caps board?

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Why are people assuming Orlov won't be protected? There is no need to protect Alzner as a FA. If LV "picks" Alzner, caps can still sign him - there is no reason to protect a FA. If he wants to stay, we are in the clear...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why are people assuming Orlov won't be protected? There is no need to protect Alzner as a FA. If LV "picks" Alzner, caps can still sign him - there is no reason to protect a FA. If he wants to stay, we are in the clear...

Because there is very little chance that the Capitals allow Alzner to get less than 30 days from the UFA market opening. He is a nearly impossible player to replace on short notice.

90% that he is extended during the season and then would need to be protected. Same goes for Oshie almost for sure and possibly Williams. This is why the Caps will very likely use the 7-3-1 plan. They will have well more then 4 forwards to protect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad