Was Barry Trotz holding Nashville back?

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Ok first the Forsberg crap - Dean Evason is someone Forsberg cites as helping him a lot in his development with learning how to play a more complete game, if Trotz keeps him up, maybe Forsberg figures it out, maybe he doesn't and ends up taking longer to get to where he is right now, but the guy is where he is right now because Trotz recognized he was still way too raw. People want to give him crap for that?

Tell me Caps fans, how was Nate Schmidt not played because Trotz hates young players? How about Burakovsky having a bit of a breakthrough in the playoffs? Why does Laviolette get the credit for Forsberg, but Trotz gets none for helping Kuznetsov, a young player at the time?

And AHL teams success isn't always because of prospects, those teams are also trying to win a championship of their own, they are loaded with AHL vets sprinkled in with young talent to be a part of a winning team. Vrana and others got a shot with the Caps, they weren't ready. What is Trotz supposed to do? Play people that aren't ready? I may not think Trotz is a great coach, but he is a good one and he didn't seem to have that bias towards young players like people like to think.

Also, what's holding the Capitals back? They lack identity. They always have. That's been their issue for a very very long time and they have never corrected it. They need to forge an identity. Every team has one, but the Caps are just a team that does well and then flutters in the playoffs, but their identity isn't that of the highest scoring team or the best defensive team, they're pretty good at both, but I mean...there's zero identity there. You never hear analysts mention that because there isn't one.
Original poster clearly has no idea how the Bears are ran. Boyd and Vrana were really the only young forwards. Barber missed a decent chunk of games and is floating in the 2nd/3rd line tier when playing.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Forsberg is entering his prime

Weber was exiting his prime, replaced with a Subban just entering his prime

Johansen was just entering his prime, replacing Jones, who was far from entering his prime.

Poile did a great job building a team made to win, with all these pieces coming together in a coordinated manner in just the right timing.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Forsberg is entering his prime

Weber was exiting his prime, replaced with a Subban just entering his prime

Johansen was just entering his prime, replacing Jones, who was far from entering his prime.

Poile did a great job building a team made to win, with all these pieces coming together in a coordinated manner in just the right timing.

Yeah, I get the "Trotz is overrated" chatter but during his tenure there they just didn't have the team they have now. For a lot of Trotz's tenure Hornqvist was pretty much their best forward.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Tough question to ask. That said, if Trotz is still there, they don't even think of acquiring PK Subban, who has been a huge difference as he is a true #1 defenseman, or Ryan Johansen, who can actually be a #1 center.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yeah, I get the "Trotz is overrated" chatter but during his tenure there they just didn't have the team they have now. For a lot of Trotz's tenure Hornqvist was pretty much their best forward.

As stated earlier in this thread, part of that may have been because Trotz preferred having more grinders than skill players.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
It was budgetary. Anything aside from that was consequential.
It wasn't budgetary that is one of the biggest myths about Trotz's time in Nashville. Poile had the go ahead to spend money and went after players that fit Trotz's system. He also drafted players for that system. Kevin Fiala would have never made it under Trotz.

Here is a interesting thing

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The guy had years and years working with zero forwards. They had good defensemen and that's it. Feels like it's Poile that got a free pass cause he wasn't in a big market that people could have questioned his decisions. But I feel like Trotz saved his butt more than anything.

I remember a year they had so little talent up front they had to hire the Kostitsyn Brothers. Never go full Kostitsyn.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Through most of the season Subban had been good but not spectacular, whether it was due to adjusting to a new system/partner or the injury or whatever, but he was not our #1 Dman at any point in the regular season.

We are definitely seeing the "extra gear" that was promised during the playoffs.

Shea Weber is a generational talent with a skillset that is far rarer than Subban's, but Weber is leaving his prime and more significantly the game has changed such that, at least right now, his skill set isn't as critical to have as Subbans is.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Trotz is such a weird coach. He's well known for having a good head for the game and the X's and O's, but he's so stubborn that it seems to be self-defeating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad