Was April 6-10 the turning point?

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
Did the 3 straight losses over this stretch save the season? Over that stretch, Florida would score just 3 goals (all by Barkov) and surrender 12. Zito would trade for Montour early on April 10 after the first 2 losses (both to Carolina) and Bennett on April 12 after the 3rd loss (to Dallas). Florida would wait until April 13 to play again, going 11-2-1 the rest of the way. 23 of a possible 28 points in the last quarter.

Last edited:

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Did the 3 straight losses over this stretch save the season? Over that stretch, Florida would score just 3 goals (all by Barkov) and surrender 12. Zito would trade for Montour early on April 10 after the first 2 losses (both to Carolina) and Bennett on April 12 after the 3rd loss (to Dallas). Florida would wait until April 13 to play again, going 11-2-1 the rest of the way.

I think Zito would have made these trades anyways.

Even in mid-season, we all knew that Wennberg as our 2nd center wasn't sustainable. If we knew it...Zito knew it too. And he was probably looking for a D since day 1 after Ekblad's injurie.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

Even in mid-season, we all knew that Wennberg as our 2nd center wasn't sustainable. If we knew it...Zito knew it too. And he was probably looking for a D since day 1 after Ekblad's injurie.

I agree. They were going to bolster the team at/near the TDL no matter of a 3 game losing streak. Maybe it accelerated those deals but to me they were going to happen regardless.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg

I suppose he was looking for a D for the entire season.

Reactions: sinDer

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
The Bennett trade was the very last trade before the TDL leaguewide, right? Anyone know exactly how many minutes the trade was approved before the TDL? Are such stats recorded anywhere? It's crazy to think that Zito waited until basically the last second to make the trade that seems to have put Florida over the top. It seems especially amazing as I think Zito had his eyes on Bennett for a looooooong time. Such balls on Zito to risk losing Bennett to someone else at any point prior to the trade.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup and KW

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
The Bennett trade was the very last trade before the TDL leaguewide, right? Anyone know exactly how many minutes the trade was approved before the TDL? Are such stats recorded anywhere? It's crazy to think that Zito waited until basically the last second to make the trade that seems to have put Florida over the top. It seems especially amazing as I think Zito had his eyes on Bennett for a looooooong time. Such balls on Zito to risk losing Bennett to someone else at any point prior to the trade.

The offer may have been sitting there for a few hours for all we know. Calgary may have been mulling it over and decided at the end to agree (or they were waiting to see if someone else presented something better). I mean, we won’t ever know, but I think that’s more likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad