Warrior W71/Pacioretty Curve

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this curve. I ordered a QR3 with it, kind of on a whim. I'm looking forward to trying it, hope someone can post their experiences. Thanks!

StoneColdGMJN

Jul 16, 2013
Marquette
Great shooting curve depending on how you shoot. If you take classic wristers where you roll it heel to toe, it shoots bullets. Snappers are a lot trickier though, as it has to come off perfect, otherwise it's a real flub.

Surprisingly good backhanders too.

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014
Just got the stick in, here's the curve. I think it would be accurate to say it is a deeper P92, as Onetimesniper28 said above. The face may not be quite as open, but it's pretty close. I'm excited for this one.

Never know what the right perspective is for judging curves, so here are two different ones.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Just got the stick in, here's the curve. I think it would be accurate to say it is a deeper P92, as Onetimesniper28 said above. The face may not be quite as open, but it's pretty close. I'm excited for this one.

Never know what the right perspective is for judging curves, so here are two different ones.

Do you have an E28/W28 ? If you do, can you please post a pic of it next to the W71 ?

I use the E28 and P14 curve, and I'd like to try the W71.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
From left to right: P14, E28, W71

The W71 looks much longer than I thought. The P14 looks very short next to it. The longer the better for me, since my game revolves around shooting. I find the P14 to be too short at the toe. The E28 is perfect for me, but the W71 would be even better for slap shots.

I'll have to buy one. Can't wait for Bauer to release their P28. I'll buy the new Vapor stick if needed.

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014
The W71 looks much longer than I thought. The P14 looks very short next to it. The longer the better for me, since my game revolves around shooting. I find the P14 to be too short at the toe. The E28 is perfect for me, but the W71 would be even better for slap shots.

I'll have to buy one. Can't wait for Bauer to release their P28. I'll buy the new Vapor stick if needed.

I looked at the P14 just compared to the E28 again, and it actually was about the same length or even a touch longer. That was my fault with a bad picture. The P14 was the second curve I tried when I first started playing, and I cut the stick way too short, so I never got much experience with how it plays.

The W71 is definitely a long blade. One of my favorite things about the P92 is how easy it is to manipulate the puck while stickhandling as compared to something like the P88, and this curve feels like it has that same characteristic, but even moreso because of the massive curve. One thing to note about this stick (QR3) is that it feels much whippier than the other 75 flex sticks I have, and it came in pretty short. I generally cut about 2 inches off of my sticks, and this one I only had to take about an inch or even a little less off.

Just to throw this out there because you mentioned the Vapor line of sticks. I have multiple sticks in the P92 curve, with the APX2 being the first one I bought. I've found myself always going back to the APX2 over the other sticks. It's always felt so solid to me. Not sure which stick you would get from the Vapor line, but I think a P28 with the APX2 would be stellar.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Just to throw this out there because you mentioned the Vapor line of sticks. I have multiple sticks in the P92 curve, with the APX2 being the first one I bought. I've found myself always going back to the APX2 over the other sticks. It's always felt so solid to me. Not sure which stick you would get from the Vapor line, but I think a P28 with the APX2 would be stellar.

Wait for the 1X stick... ;)

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014
I like that curve a lot, looks like it would be great for toe drags. could you give us an update after a games with it.

With the dryland stickhandling I've been doing in my house it's been great for toe drags/spinning the puck between your legs (whatever that move is called).

I have a stick and shoot tomorrow and a game on Saturday. I'll provide an update after that.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Wait for the 1X stick... ;)

Yes, that's exactly the stick I'm waiting for. If they release the P28 on the MX3 and the Nexus 8000, it will be a tough decision.

Btw Caps2Fan, the P14s I have at home are shorter than my W28 at the toe. The curve ends abruptly with the square toe. It would be better if they made it a tad bit longer.

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014
Quick update after a stick and shoot. Really enjoyed the stick today. It wasn't anymore difficult to get off snap shots than any other curve. I felt like they came off quick and accurate.

The thing that surprised me were the slap shots. I have a terrible slap shot. 9 out of 10 are skittering along the ice, and the other one is fluttering 5 feet wide of the net. I took about 20 slap shots today, all but one of them were bullets. I roofed a few, but most of them were knee high rockets. For me, that's down right amazing. Whether that's the stick or the curve, I have no idea, but for those that are worried about slap shots with this curve, I wouldn't fret too much.

Backhands were definitely not as crisp and powerful. They were a little tougher to put them where I wanted. With the P92, I don't really think much about it, and can get off a pretty nice backhand. With the W71, I had to really focus on what I was doing and having proper technique to get it right. After a while, I expect to get used to this and won't have to think as much.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Yes, that's exactly the stick I'm waiting for. If they release the P28 on the MX3 and the Nexus 8000, it will be a tough decision.

Btw Caps2Fan, the P14s I have at home are shorter than my W28 at the toe. The curve ends abruptly with the square toe. It would be better if they made it a tad bit longer.

They're usually quite good at updating...when P92 changed from Backstrom to Ovechkin, the store's stock changed almost immediately. So I can't see why the MX3 and 8000 wouldn't have it, especially because it's just adding sticks to stock.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
They're usually quite good at updating...when P92 changed from Backstrom to Ovechkin, the store's stock changed almost immediately. So I can't see why the MX3 and 8000 wouldn't have it, especially because it's just adding sticks to stock.

The P28 is not available in the Nexus or Supreme lines for 2015. Now, whether or not they'll be available in the fall of 2015, I don't know. You will likely have to wait another year if that's even happening.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The P28 is not available in the Nexus or Supreme lines for 2015. Now, whether or not they'll be available in the fall of 2015, I don't know. You will likely have to wait another year if that's even happening.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'll try to buy a pro stock MX3 with the P28 curve.

I know Semin uses something like the P28, but his sticks are insanely stiff (112 flex).

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014
Caps2fan, how does the curve play compared to the E28?

I don't really have much experience with the E28. I was trying out an intermediate stick for the first time when I got that curve and ended up hating it, so I never gave the E28 a fair shot. It's definitely more open than the W71. From what I remember, backhands were pretty simple with the E28. They are a little tougher with the W71.

Sorry I can't be much help.

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014
One final remark about the stick/curve. The W71 is only available in the grip version of the QR series. I hate grip, so I went ahead and sanded it off. It came off really easy. I went over the area twice that I wanted to be smooth, and then cleaned it off with a wet paper towel. Smooth as can be. It took a bit of the graphics off, but I don't really care about that and it actually has that "worn" look that is kind of cool.

I know most people who don't like grip don't want to bother with buying a grip stick and modifying it, but if you're interested in this curve, it's not that big of a deal.

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014
Figured I would throw in one more update since I had my first game with the stick tonight. Let me just say that I am very excited about this stick/curve. I played my best game tonight. Scored 4 goals in a 4 - 1 win.

I felt like I had control over the puck when handling it and was able to place my shots right where I wanted them. All my shots came off pretty hot as well, with one goal ringing hard off the crossbar, hitting the goalies back, and going in. I played center tonight as opposed to playing my normal right D. I have no idea how much a curve matters on face-offs, but I did pretty well.

This is the first curve that I've had that really felt right. Highly recommend it for someone looking for a deep curve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad