Value of: Warren Foegele UFA

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
A smart team in a tight cap situation should be able to replace a player like Foegele rather then resigning him to a risky cap hit. It depends on what he wants though and I don't blame him if he decides to try the UFA market and get what he can based on this season.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
As other Oil fans have already mentioned, 3mil per is about the max we can give him. I’d like to see him back. Wouldn’t blame him for chasing the money, but if it comes down to 3 mil to play on a contender with childhood friend McDavid or 4 mil to play in Utah or something, I’d hope he’d take the pay cut. Hard to say though
Especially if they could just give him an extra year on his deal. Ideally, he's a 3M, 2 or 3 year contract, so just offer him 3M X 4 years and hopefully he sees the value in that extra year.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
would love him in NJ, and he would fill a need for sure

hopefully something like 3 x $4
Yes. He's one of my top targets for the Devils. He is probably looking at a $4M AAV and I would be willing to pay that. Foegele: $4M x 4. Debrusk: $5.25 x 5. Trenin: $2M x 2. Aube Kubel: $0.9M x 2.

Foegele - Hughes - Bratt
Debrusk - Hischier - Meier
Palat - Haula - Mercer
Trenin - Lazar - NAK
Extra

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes. He's one of my top targets for the Devils. He is probably looking at a $4M AAV and I would be willing to pay that. Foegele: $4M x 4. Debrusk: $5.25 x 5. Trenin: $2M x 2. Aube Kubel: $0.9M x 2.

Foegele - Hughes - Bratt
Palat - Haula - Mercer
Trenin - Lazar - NAK
Extra
If Debrusk only costs 1.25M more, teams would be smarter to line up for him. That's what I'm hoping the Oilers can do.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Foegele - Hughes - Bratt
Palat - Haula - Mercer
Trenin - Lazar - NAK
Extra
He'd cost assets but wouldn't Ross Colton make more sense if WF does in fact want that kinda cash? Also assets but how bout Makenstyn in WSH? Lastly Duhaime just to be a petty 4th liner with Trenin and Lazar instead of NAK. Similar ideas to yours.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I targeted him as an option for upgrading the Habs middle/bottom 6, but I wouldn't want then to pay 4 mill + for him

At times watching him you just see the 7 and how he skates and you're kind of excited as you think it's McDavid. He's got some nice wheels, but the edges aren't as good and the puck handling is significantly less, but it does make you think of McDavid I swear.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He'd cost assets but wouldn't Ross Colton make more sense if WF does in fact want that kinda cash? Also assets but how bout Makenstyn in WSH? Lastly Duhaime just to be a petty 4th liner with Trenin and Lazar instead of NAK. Similar ideas to yours.
Well yeah, he'd cost assets. COL traded a 2nd to get Colton, so NJ would have to trade at least that to acquire him (I don't see why COL is trading him anyway, so it will probably cost more).

Foegele is a pure UFA. No acquisition cost. Malenstyn is not a UFA, and again, I don't see why WAS would trade him. He's young and will be cheap. You'd have to largely overpay in a trade.

I think NAK is a superior player to Duhaime. He's been pretty effective on WAS's buried DZ start line, with Dowd and Malenstyn.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Well yeah, he'd cost assets. COL traded a 2nd to get Colton, so NJ would have to trade at least that to acquire him (I don't see why COL is trading him anyway, so it will probably cost more).

Foegele is a pure UFA. No acquisition cost. Malenstyn is not a UFA, and again, I don't see why WAS would trade him. He's young and will be cheap. You'd have to largely overpay in a trade.

I think NAK is a superior player to Duhaime. He's been pretty effective on WAS's buried DZ start line, with Dowd and Malenstyn.
Avs apparently have a cap crunch coming. I know WF is UFA, but Edm fans say yeah good at 3, not 4 so that why I suggested RC. I technically would like both. This team needs fast heavy players. NAK would be OK not the biggest guy.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Hope the oilers give like 5 years at 4mill. He is a 3rd liner and is paid just right at 2.75. Any higher he goes on the over paid team

Reactions: ManofSteel55

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Avs apparently have a cap crunch coming. I know WF is UFA, but Edm fans say yeah good at 3, not 4 so that why I suggested RC. I technically would like both. This team needs fast heavy players. NAK would be OK not the biggest guy.
Well yeah, EDM fans are saying that because they also have a cap crunch and literally just can't afford him.

Colton has a $4M AAV, so there is no discount compared to what I project Foegele to get.

NAK is fast and defensively responsible. I think that's more important than just being "big".

Reactions: Smitty426

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Foegele - Hughes - Bratt
Palat - Haula - Mercer
Trenin - Lazar - NAK
Extra
I'd rather use the debrusk money on a LD and put Holtz into the lineup.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers will let him walk and add a cup chasing veteran for league minimum ala Perry.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
As an Oiler fan, my sweet spot is $3.5m AAV. Anything more and the Oilers have to wish him all the best. Due to some bad contracts the Oilers can not afford any over payments, even small ones.

Reactions: belair

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
As an Oiler fan, my sweet spot is $3.5m AAV. Anything more and the Oilers have to wish him all the best. Due to some bad contracts the Oilers can not afford any over payments, even small ones.
I wonder what Henrique would take. He's fitting in well and is more versatile than McLovin

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Well yeah, EDM fans are saying that because they also have a cap crunch and literally just can't afford him.

Colton has a $4M AAV, so there is no discount compared to what I project Foegele to get.

NAK is fast and defensively responsible. I think that's more important than just being "big".
I'm ok with NAK and BIG is a large part of what Fitz NEEDS to do

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Brendan Smith is big. He sucks.

Being big but unable to play just means you suck. There is no inherent value in size alone.
Brendan Smith is the only guy on this team with balls! He was supposed to be a fill in defender, not f'n baby sitting everyday. If Bahl and his 6'6 230 frame would show up and use it maybe we're not discussing, HE sucks!

Reactions: My3Sons

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Edmontons cap situation is going to be tight for the next few years. The smart move would be to let him walk and replace him with Holloway. They need to have like 8+ million in space cleared for the start of 2025 for Draisaitl and Bouchard's new contracts.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hope the oilers give like 5 years at 4mill. He is a 3rd liner and is paid just right at 2.75. Any higher he goes on the over paid team
We won't. We have upcoming extensions and they are all expensive. Holloway is replacing Foegele

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
When do GM's make smart contract decisions in UFA?
Everyone is comparing UFA contracts to RFA contracts and ELCs all the time. Those require other assets, not just money, to acquire.

Generally yes, your UFA contracts should be your worst contracts money wise. But they also don't require you to give up any other assets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad