Warning to the NHL's league office/management

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Given the free hand Las Vegas had in pulling players off of established teams in their expansion draft, I would STRONGLY suggest to the NHL that, no matter how much money Seattle (or whoever will be the next team added) pays to the league, that the number of players who can be exempted be increased substantially.

I say this because as a fan of a team that has sucked for decades, and is finally getting around to putting professional management together, if my team's roster is picked apart in 2 years while on the verge of finally reaching or winning the SC, and key players are pulled off by an expansion team undermining our chances, I guarantee you will never see me or my family step in to another pro hockey arena again, ever.

The league is already imbalanced enough, IMO the teams' rosters should be exposed based upon last 5-10 years' performance so the weaker teams like the oilers, NYI, etc should be close to or exempt from the expansion draft entirely.

where was this thread last July? We had several mocking what they did

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The Expansion Draft wasn't the reason Vegas was good last season.

This will be proven in a few years.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
its not the league's fault that your team sucks and is incompetent.

This is where you and so many others here are wrong, and I'll explain why.

The league, particularly Bettman, bear an enormous responsibility for the NYI failings over the past 20-25 years, as it was he and the league who repeatedly, not once, but several times, accepted owners who were either not sufficiently wealthy to own a pro sports franchise or were outright criminals (John Spano).

The league approved ownerships that were abominations, who had no business being allowed near the management of a pro sports team, which is why I and other NYI fans share an especially significant bitterness towards the league.

Sure, other teams have been poorly run and do not have the same excuse the NYI do, who spent decades saddled with owners who either went to jail or bought the team solely as a real estate play (Charles Wang) - but the Islander have a strong argument that the league mismanaged the franchise as much as anyone else.

Last edited:

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
The league is "imbalanced" ?? On any given night any team can beat any other team in the league... The NHL has some of the best parity of the major NA leagues. Look at the MLB: same top teams every year, look at the NBA: same two teams have made the finals every season for the last 4 years...

In the last 9 years 4 teams have won the cup.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Given the free hand Las Vegas had in pulling players off of established teams in their expansion draft, I would STRONGLY suggest to the NHL that, no matter how much money Seattle (or whoever will be the next team added) pays to the league, that the number of players who can be exempted be increased substantially.

I say this because as a fan of a team that has sucked for decades, and is finally getting around to putting professional management together, if my team's roster is picked apart in 2 years while on the verge of finally reaching or winning the SC, and key players are pulled off by an expansion team undermining our chances, I guarantee you will never see me or my family step in to another pro hockey arena again, ever.

The league is already imbalanced enough, IMO the teams' rosters should be exposed based upon last 5-10 years' performance so the weaker teams like the oilers, NYI, etc should be close to or exempt from the expansion draft entirely.
Nah, that's silly. The teams you would be competing with at that point would be facing the exact same thing. You wouldn't be at any kind of competitive disadvantage.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
tenor.gif

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
My team lost Cody Eakin and the Stars were still looked at as a definite playoff team going into the season. Damn you Vegas. You broke us.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Their were a number of teams who didn’t want lose a player and made moves to keep that player; some didn’t or weren’t able to. It didn’t break the team though.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
This just in: random no one on messagebord gives NHL a stern warning.

In a related story, Bettman was seen getting treatment for PTSD due to said warning.

More on this later.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Look out guys he's throwing down the gauntlet on a topic that has been absolutely been done to death.

I'm the idiot for thinking losing the Finals would spell the end of these protests.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad