GDT: WARNING: HORRIFYING ACTS OF VIOLENCE (RD1 G1 @ NYR)

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Couple of thoughts:
1. The degree to which our 4th line got outplayed by theirs is troubling - supposed to be a strength for us, and it was anything but yesterday. Dowd seemed invisible, NAK as well. Would probably sub Sgarbossa for NAK, to get a bit more skill there.

2. Ovie-Mikey-Oshie was awful. Carbs has got to tell Mikey to stop thinking he has to defer to Ovie. Mikey played yesterday liked he did under Lavi: as if he was thinking about what he should do next, instead of just f***ing doing it. You can't win at playoff hockey if you're in your head. And the puck shouldn't be passed to Ovie anyway unless he's in a position to shoot or wide open - because he fumbles pucks and can't stickhandle away from coverage.

3. Even though Protas-Strome-Wilson looked decent, probably need to switch Protas for Oshie - cuz Mikey-Ovie need someone who can retrieve pucks and maintain possession.

4. Also troubling that the Rangers think they can push us around. I don't mind Max going after Trocheck after his penalty on Lappy, because he was defending Lappy - who the Rangers were clearly targeting. Think Willy really needs to get hits on their D, especially Trouba and Fox - he should not waste time with Rempe. Also, this was the kind of game that Ovie typically responds to by going and trying to hit the opposition's D-men, but I think he's too slow and too apt to get himself out of position to do that - so Carbs shouldn't encourage it.

5. I do think it will help to have last change when we get home, because there are some matchups that could be more favorable to us that we can't really get in the Garden
Patches penalty was terrible. About to go on a PP with their best face off PK guy in the box and he gets called for a lazy high across check.

I said that Max is the X factor for this round. If he could rebound and have 4 goals and 5 assists the Caps win the series. Instead he’s got no gas left in the tank at all rangers speed was too much for him, took an awful penalty, and had just useless giveaways in the offensive zone and even worse on the pp.

Sit him

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Wish Wilson would put Trocheck into Shesterkin instead of Lindgren.

Wish McIlrath would handle Rempe.

Wish the refs were better.

But overall, outside of 2 minutes they played the right way, stayed disciplined and low event. They can playing like this.

And yeah, sorry to say it but Pacioretty doesn't bring much besides experience and we have plenty of that. Let Miro play, he's got speed, physicality and wants to make things happen.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Not good enough

Ovie is old
Wilson is... not that good too now? that's concerning

TVR at PP... Oshie with puck to the zone. all you need to know.

they need better players

Reactions: PlushMinus

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Unleash Dylan Mcllarth on Rempe and let Wilson play the series. If the series is lost, Wilson needs to defends his crown against Rempe.
I sensed a leadership void. I know hitting is all but gone by I think it would've been wise to see Ovi or Willy come out of the gate and truck someone. Set the tone early AND lead by example. All the kids will never know how to win a cup unless our vets show them. If you can't get shots on goal - you hit. Contribute in other ways. I do think Willy has been neutered by the league but what's everyone elses excuse. I dont hit in the regular season so....

The type of hits we threw in 2018 I saw being done to us.

It won't take much for Dylan to be a leader on this team. His age style of play and C in Hershey makes me want to see him be very aggressive. Refs are gonna even up calls anyways.

Game 2 is payback for Iorio day. What happened to the capitals I knew?
1713825412842.jpeg

Last edited:

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
and all we did today was fill the Rags with confidence

they will not have any doubts whatsoever after that game, which is the exact opposite of what we wanted to begin the series
Eh, lack of confidence and frustration can develop in a series.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
you think this is going 7? we don't have that kinda time
It's not going 7. I honestly would be surprised if the Caps win a game.

I thought they held their own in the first period but the Rags hadn't played in 6 days and were shaking off some rust and getting a feel for how the Caps play. That's what concerns me the most: I think the Rangers have a couple more gears and I think the Caps might have half a gear more if we're lucky. Carlson has been over-played all season (he played ALL 82 games and logged big minutes) and is now expected to play 30 a night? He's going to crash and burn any game now.

I hate the Rags as much as anybody here but they are considerably better than the Caps AND they have Lavi who might not know Carberry and the kids but he knows all the vets well enough.

I just keep reminding myself that they "shouldn't" even have made the playoffs so every game is a bonus at this point. But it was still frustrating and sucked to see them lose game 1.

All I hope for is a much better showing in game 2. I thought they were pretty poor in game 1. They held their own in the first period but their powerplay looks abysmal. They went 0-4 and only had 3 shots on goal. Their PK is actually really decent and will need to continue to be.

Also they were outhit I think 31-20?

I expect some accusations of being a doom and gloomer but I'm just describing the game I watched and my opinions. I certainly wouldn't hope for these guys to lose - I love playoff hockey and every game is a bonus for the Caps at this point. I just think they're up against it big time.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Also they were outhit I think 31-20?
Yeah NYR played way more aggresive both on the forecheck and hitting game. It cost them a few more penalties but their PK is great. It also created a lot of chances for them. I think they had 5-6 man advantage chances while we had 0.

Lafreniere's hit created a goal, breakaway chance to finish the game and being aggresive in the neutral zone and creating turnovers from us is definetely crating ore chances for them than the extra few penalties they give up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad