Movies: War for the Planet of the Apes

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
What's next?

Survival of the Planet of the Apes?

Then Extinction of the Planet of the Apes?

Transformers vs Resurgence of the Planet of the Apes?

But yeah the trailer looks good tbh

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
This is one of those franchises that seems like it's really big and has had really good movies but I simply never remember it exists. (In regards to the new ones)

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
This trilogy has been fantastic. Dawn (2nd one) was amazing. Can't wait for this and hope there will be some kind of 4th movie simply called Planet of the Apes similar to the old movie (not the Burton one)

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Most anticipated movie for me next year. Yes, even more than Star Wars.

Love this movie series so much. Caesar is one of my favorite characters of all time to me. Serkis does a great job with the character.

Good example of how you reboot/remake a movie franchise.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The other two were simply fantastic movies to watch, highly entertaining. I'll admit to being skeptical at first, but right from the get-go they've handled everything so well, and Serkis is an absolute delight as Caesar.

VERY excited for this...hell, 2017 is shaping up to have some very nice movie releases (Star Wars, this, GotG Vol. 2, etc.)

JA

This has become one of my favorite modern film franchises. The first two films are excellent, and this one looks to be quite spectacular.

When I first saw the trailer for Rise, I wondered how similar it would be to the 2001 Tim Burton remake; I was delightfully surprised with Rise and was glad to see that it followed a brand new story. Dawn was a fantastic follow-up. This series of films has developed its own legacy and enhanced the Planet of the Apes brand, as opposed to relying on it. Caesar, his emotional struggle, and the tales that are being told about his world have captivated audiences.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
One of the few reboots Hollywood has ever nailed. These have surpassed the originals (not the horrible Tim Burton entry) in every metric for me.

Really looking forward to this as Rise and Dawn were exceptional films. Hard to call this franchise a "summer blockbuster" in the traditional sense when the quality of its writing, directing, acting and world building is anything but.

Last edited:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The other two were simply fantastic movies to watch, highly entertaining. I'll admit to being skeptical at first, but right from the get-go they've handled everything so well, and Serkis is an absolute delight as Caesar.

VERY excited for this...hell, 2017 is shaping up to have some very nice movie releases (Star Wars, this, GotG Vol. 2, etc.)

2017 is going to have a tone of solid/fun flicks in the summer and winter

Never saw the first two.

Seems I should check them out?

I would forsure give them a watch. Very enjoyable. Andy Serkis is fantastic as Cesar

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Shouldn't the apes just be confined to North and South America?

The rest of the world wouldn't have been affected

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Shouldn't the apes just be confined to North and South America?

The rest of the world wouldn't have been affected

If you watch the post credits scene at the end of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, one of the humans that contracted the virus that gives the apes sentience but is fatal to humans, is a pilot. He's shown dripping blood from his nose as he walks through the San Francisco airport terminal to his plane and then the virus is shown spreading globally as passengers who contract it from him land at various hubs around the world.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If you watch the post credits scene at the end of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, one of the humans that contracted the virus that gives the apes sentience but is fatal to humans, is a pilot. He's shown dripping blood from his nose as he walks through the San Francisco airport terminal to his plane and then the virus is shown spreading globally as passengers who contract it from him land at various hubs around the world.

I didn't realize the virus made apes smarter, I just thought Cesar was teaching them

I don't remember any of the apes being able to speak in the last film other than Cesar

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I didn't realize the virus made apes smarter, I just thought Cesar was teaching them

I don't remember any of the apes being able to speak in the last film other than Cesar

Yeah, it enhances their intelligence. If you remember when he was locked up in the enclosure and talking with Maurice, Caesar decided to go steal the ALZ-113 from Will's house after realizing that he couldn't teach them without it. In the case of Caesar being able to speak, it's never been explicitly explained how he can talk but a popular hypothesis is variation/mutation of the ALZ-112. His mother was given it and as off-spring, he could've been born with genetic variations that resulted in more human like genes.

From the wiki;

The Simian Flu, formerly known as ALZ-112 and ALZ-113, was an artificially created retrovirus designed to cure Alzheimer's disease. The brainchild of Dr. Will Rodman of the Gen-Sys Laboratories, the first virus proved a success with ape test subjects by greatly enhancing their intelligence, and managed to temporarily cure Rodman's own father. In order to make the effects permanent in humans, a second, more powerful and contagious strain was created which ultimately proved fatal to humans, leading to the Simian Flu Pandemic and the rise of the Evolved Apes.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yes, do yourself a favor and watch them ASAP.

I'd personally replace Star Wars ep VIII with Alien: Covenant, but I agree with this.

Hey my man, whatever floats your boat, ya dig? ;)

But yeah, 2017 is going to have some nice Summer/Fall releases (as Gongshow said). Very excited to see them all, and eventually buy them on 4K UHD (hopefully)!

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

The intro to the second film thoroughly explains how most of humanity was wiped out by the virus.

Also in regards to Caesar being able to speak, I'm sure that was just do to having a domesticated upbringing, as well as through the acquired intelligence. Some other apes were shown to have learned how to speak a little as Caesar was teaching them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad