Walt Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I see Kyle getting alot of flack around here, and IMO people need to chill out on the U.S. coaching this year. All of us armchair quarterbacks can question his choices when it comes to lines and minutes, but I think it's pretty evident that he recognized the deficiencies in his team early on and knew to have any success he'd have to ride his horses. Team construction, not coaching was a big issue this year, and I think there might be some significant changes in the way the team is selected next year.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
The guy's a horrible dresser.

and that's all I got to say about that. :gump:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I agree, I think you may see Team USA select players for specific roles rather than just the thirteen best available scorers.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Metallian said:
The guy's a horrible dresser.

and that's all I got to say about that. :gump:

Well, that's for sure.... Who would have thought a Sutter would have superior taste in clothes?!?!?!

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Matt MacInnis said:
I agree, I think you may see Team USA select players for specific roles rather than just the thirteen best available scorers.

Though I'm not American, I'd have to agree here. I really don't see why they took a guy like Schremp, he wasn't able to play the role that he needs to play in order for him to be affective.

This team seemed to be a little too individualistic for such a short tournament. They have great talent but didn't seem to work as well as a unit. I remember many times last night when the Johnsons (or other dmen) were left alone in their own zone and the forwards were well back on the play. Just an example.

Petey Knights

Aug 3, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
Well, that's for sure.... Who would have thought a Sutter would have superior taste in clothes?!?!?!

haha good point! Did you guys in the US get to see any pics/interviews of him on Canada's off-days? Every time he was wearing a fully-plaid shirt.. very farmer-like!

But he does look good in a suit! Kyle looks like Kojak

Rounder

Jan 23, 2005
Matt MacInnis said:

That is the coaches job, to define the players roles, and for this type of tournament that cannot be done 3 games in to the tournament, The players selected should have been informed of their roles as far back as Lake Placid, if those roles were not acceptable, they have a choice to turn down the selection, at least they do not come to the tournament unaware they may play for 5 shifts a game. This creates a negative atmosphere, which affected this groups ability to play as a TEAM.

Prof_it

Sep 2, 2004
I don’t think you can blame the coach. He had loads of experience and was judged to be the best for the job. US fans may most need to have some patience as I agree that the results of this tournament may lead to changes within USA Hockey.

The US program has become a legit and consistent medal contender. This is major improvement and a huge step in the establishment of hockey as a respected sport in the states. In the past 30 years, only 4 American teams have medaled at the WJC's. Compare that to the recent on ice improvement. There is no doubt that more was expected from this year’s team, but ultimately US hockey is still moving in the right direction.

Hopefully, this tournament will be a learning experience for the players and the program. Many of the players look like their bodies are ahead of their heads. While US hockey has shown it can develop and groom individual skills, there is more needed. Not unlike eventual Stanley Cup winners that struggle in their first playoff, the program needs to learn how to win...consistently, not just once a decade.

Until then, the program should tone down the bravado- yes even the fans too. We may turn into a nation crazed for the sport, supplying big name starts and dominating international competition...we are not there yet. Respect the tradition of the game and the countries that revere it. We may even learn a thing or two from the past.

The US team came into the tournament with lofty expectations. We now know that the focus of the media should have been given to the Russians. They have played superbly, with little attention, throughout the tournament and deserve to play Canada for the gold.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
O_Oglethorpe said:
I don’t think you can blame the coach. He had loads of experience and was judged to be the best for the job. US fans may most need to have some patience as I agree that the results of this tournament may lead to changes within USA Hockey.

The US program has become a legit and consistent medal contender. This is major improvement and a huge step in the establishment of hockey as a respected sport in the states. In the past 30 years, only 4 American teams have medaled at the WJC's. Compare that to the recent on ice improvement. There is no doubt that more was expected from this year’s team, but ultimately US hockey is still moving in the right direction.

Hopefully, this tournament will be a learning experience for the players and the program. Many of the players look like their bodies are ahead of their heads. While US hockey has shown it can develop and groom individual skills, there is more needed. Not unlike eventual Stanley Cup winners that struggle in their first playoff, the program needs to learn how to win...consistently, not just once a decade.

Until then, the program should tone down the bravado- yes even the fans too. We may turn into a nation crazed for the sport, supplying big name starts and dominating international competition...we are not there yet. Respect the tradition of the game and the countries that revere it. We may even learn a thing or two from the past.

The US team came into the tournament with lofty expectations. We now know that the focus of the media should have been given to the Russians. They have played superbly, with little attention, throughout the tournament and deserve to play Canada for the gold.

Good post, and there are some positives that remain in this tournament: The U.S. still has a good chance to medal and has made the semis four straight years. I'm disappointed with what transpired this year, but American hockey continues to get better.

KariyaIsGod*

I like Walt as well.

I only wish he had let the Johnson defensive towers go all out during the last few minutes of the Russia game.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Even myself I had the USA as arguably the favourites going in with Canada and Russia both being right there. I knew they started to have problems when they beat Finland 6-5 and then tied the Swiss 2-2. Personally I wanted to see the USA over Russia. We beat Russia last year. But oh well I guess you need to play the best in order to win.

On paper you could argue that the US had the best team. Not sure how much of the blame goes to Kyle, but with a team loaded with Kessel, Schremp, Ryan and the Johnsons its hard to believe this team isnt in the Gold Medal game. But then again I knew that traditionally the USA loses big games to Russia in the WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad