Waivers Rules/Multiple Claims 2023 Thread

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Hi all,

Sometimes only in real world situations do we spot the need for a rule to be officially added to our rules. That is what has happened in the situation w/ Jordan Martinook.

To provide clarity, to mimic the NHL situations as best we can, and to honor a previous president (even though there may be many situations where we didn't but should have) we have an updated set of rules.

These will apply back to the start of the 2023/24 HFNHL preseason.

In the next post, we'll start listing the players who go through waivers and have multiple claims and who those claimants are.

New Waivers Rules

8.1 Waivers

All players 24 and younger will be exempt from waivers. All those 25 and older must clear waivers to be sent to the farm.

Priority

Priority during the Off-Season is set by the number of points during the previous regular season, worst to best. In the event that two or more teams have identical points the tie-breaker shall be average goal difference ('goals for' subtract 'goals against'), where the team with the worst goal difference shall have higher priority.

In the event that two teams have identical records and Avg Goal difference, priority order will be set by the fewest goals scored having higher priority.

Priority does not change regardless of the number of selections any one team may make on the same day.

Priority during the regular season is set by order of reverse points, worst to best, starting on Game Day 22 (approximating Nov 1, the NHL date).

Waiver order is managed manually, DO NOT rely on the order within the sim, as this is often incorrect.

Claimed Players

Players claimed can be traded immediately following a claim, except in a situation where there are multiple claims on the same player.

Waiver No Trade

Where more than one team makes a claim, that player cannot be traded unless all other teams who were involved in the original claim have passed (in order of priority on the day of the claim).

If a team would take the player, the team with the original team has to either waive to the next claimant or keep the player.

This Waiver No Trade clause applies until the end of the playoffs of the current season.

A Waiver No Trade thread will be posted on the HFBoards and the player will be designated 'no-trade' within the sim.

Claims

While claims can be made in the web, all claims are only official with a corresponding email to SimGod.

EDIT:

Trades

Once a player has been processed onto the waiver wire, they cannot be traded until after their waiver periods passed.

EDIT 2:

Trades 2

A player claimed cannot be traded, even to the next team on the priority order, without all other teams having an option to claim that player.

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Jordan Martinook - claimed by Edmonton Oilers
Claimants (in order):
Carolina Hurricanes
Nashville Predators
Minnesota Wild

Regal Beagles

Feb 28, 2013
Has consideration been given to nhl players with no trade contracts not being eligible for trades as well?

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
“If a team would take the player, the team with the original team has to either waive to the next claimant or keep the player.”

I’m unclear what this passage means, specifically “the team with the original team”…

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
“If a team would take the player, the team with the original team has to either waive to the next claimant or keep the player.”

I’m unclear what this passage means, specifically “the team with the original team”…

The team that claims a player, if they want to trade the player.

For example, I claim Jarome Iginla and you claim him but I have priority. I then want to trade Iginla to the Oilers, but first I have to offer him to you. You decide you'd like to take him as the next claimant. I can then just scuttle the whole thing and keep Iginla. By offering you're not obligated to pass that player along. And of course, I can't trade Iginla at that time in that scenario.

I would guess it should read "the team with the original claim"....

Thank you, I need a non-native English speaker to help me out ;)

Has consideration been given to nhl players with no trade contracts not being eligible for trades as well?

Contract status in the NHL, other than cap hit, doesn't have bearing on our league. We don't have no-trade/no-move clauses and at this time there is no conversation about adding it. I don't think we need it, it won't solve any specific problem.

Reactions: Ohio Jones

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Brackets indicate the next teams in priority order for the no-trade releases.

1. Sam Carrick - Predators
  2. Robert Bortuzzo - Sabres (Flames)
  3. Josh Levio - Sabres (Flames)
  4. Jesper Fast - Hurricanes (Sabres)
  5. Zach Aston-Reese - Flames (Golden Knights)
  6. Denis Gurianov - Golden Knights
  7. Michael Amadio - Penguins (Sabres, Wild, Golden Knights)
  8. Gavin Bayreuther - Flames
  9. Noah Juulsen - Flames
  10. Lucas Johansen - Blackhawks
  11. Logan Brown - Winnipeg Jets
  12. Joel Kirvivanta - Maple Leafs
  13. Riley Tufte - Winnipeg Jets
  14. Vincent Deharnais - Oilers (Sabres, Ducks)
  15. Scott Wedgewood - Oilers (Wilds, Avalanche, Jets, Ducks, Blues, Blue Jackets)
  16. Jonas Johanson - Flames (Jets, Canucks)
  17. Hunter Shepherd - Jets
  18. Calvin Peterson - Blackhawks

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Addition to the above rules so more clearly define a situation:

Once you waive a player they cannot be traded until after they pass through waivers.

EDIT:
Trades
Once a player has been processed onto the waiver wire, they cannot be traded until after their waiver periods passed.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Rule Updates

1/ The priority claim reverts to the standings on Game Day 22.
2/ A player claimed cannot be traded, even to the next team on the priority order, without all other teams having an option to claim that player.

Both of these rules approximate the NHL waiver rules.

1/ Sonny Milano - Penguins (Avalanche)

2/ Blake Lizotte - Predators (Penguins, Sabres, Wild, Avalanche, Jets, Ducks)

3/ Michael McCarron - Sharks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad