Player Discussion Waiver wire

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Am I the only one who is looking at some of these waiver wire players as potential upgrades?

For example, kurtis McDurmid if the LA kings placed on waivers today.

Played 35 games last year with the kings. 6’5 220. Tough as nails. Why not use him as your 7-8 d man instead of Biega. Adds a ton of grit and backs it up. He’s also still young at 24.

I have seen other decent pick ups as well, Justin Bailey of Buffalo. 6’4 and skates like the wind. Would add a ton of speed to the line up.

I get it, there’s no room. But after a shitty pre season I think more guys than Gaunce deserved a wake up call.

Why not send Eriksson to the minors to get his scoring touch back and wake his ass up.

Why not send a message to Pouliot that it’s a contact league.

Anyway, has anyone seen any waiver players they like?

My guy I’m keeping an eye on is Tim Heed. Has to pass through waivers and has lots of potential.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Agree with Heed, although it would probably be the same situation we had last year with Holm.

Matt Puempel placed on waivers by Detroit this morning and Pontus Aberg by Edmonton. Good AHL scorers, Oilers also cutting Jerabek.

I would definitely be claiming players were I the Canucks, if only to shake things up a bit. Would give Aberg a shot over Gagner.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'd certainly bank on management and our pro scouting identifying under-appreciated waiver players who have lacked opportunity and could turn it around. Oh wait, I'm thinking about Vegas. Sorry ... both "V" teams.

Reactions: pgj98m3

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
These waiver guys really aren't going to put a dent in the problem our team has right now. We're so sorely lacking high-end skill players. You don't find those guys on the waiver wire, and frankly...we're already kinda overflowing with bottom of roster/waiver caliber players.

I did think Brett Lernout would've been worth a claim. He's certainly a better defenceman than Pouliot, and probably Biega. But he's not exactly an exciting player that's gonna move the needle on this team's fate this season. Just a promising young 5/6D with a little bit of upside. And he'd add a bit of a beef to a mostly soft and terrible blueline.

I think Aberg is probably worth a claim too. But again, he'd probably just find himself mired in the muck with our collection of other skilled tweener types. Not going to really change our results for the season, but as a waiver claim...he's a useful depth player who can sit in on a scoring line when needed.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
These waiver guys really aren't going to put a dent in the problem our team has right now. We're so sorely lacking high-end skill players. You don't find those guys on the waiver wire, and frankly...we're already kinda overflowing with bottom of roster/waiver caliber players.

I did think Brett Lernout would've been worth a claim. He's certainly a better defenceman than Pouliot, and probably Biega. But he's not exactly an exciting player that's gonna move the needle on this team's fate this season. Just a promising young 5/6D with a little bit of upside. And he'd add a bit of a beef to a mostly soft and terrible blueline.

I think Aberg is probably worth a claim too. But again, he'd probably just find himself mired in the muck with our collection of other skilled tweener types. Not going to really change our results for the season, but as a waiver claim...he's a useful depth player who can sit in on a scoring line when needed.

Except you would be clearing out some of that muck.

I would claim Aberg and waive Gagner. At worst you get a look at someone new and don't lose anything. At best maybe you find a diamond in the rough.

Every once in a while you pick up enough of these guys and one of them Bill Karlssons on you. But you have to be willing to abandon them when it doesn't happen (granlund.)

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Except you would be clearing out some of that muck.

I would claim Aberg and waive Gagner. At worst you get a look at someone new and don't lose anything. At best maybe you find a diamond in the rough.

Every once in a while you pick up enough of these guys and one of them Bill Karlssons on you. But you have to be willing to abandon them when it doesn't happen (granlund.)

Bill Karlsson wasn't a waiver wire pickup though. He was an expansion draft pickup.

Guys just coming out of absolutely nowhere to become a star like that is exceedingly rare in the first place, but off the waiver wire basically just doesn't happen. Last guy i can think of plucked off waivers to do anything seriously good, was Grabner. And we all know what he is, and the way he was moved out of here.

Unfortunately, we're kinda stuck to Gagner. Nobody is claiming him with that awful contract, and in the meantime...he's at least shown that as a filler in the right scoring role, he can be a 40-50pt liability.

But you seem to think Granlund is a guy to cut bait with. Whereas i think Markus Granlund is actually probably a pretty good example of what you can realistically hope for out of a waiver wire pickup. Though obviously we traded some other waiver fodder for him...that's the sort of player you're realistically hoping to get out of a waiver claim like that. A filler guy who can kinda play and maybe chip in productively here and there. Not a William Karlsson, but those aren't the guys teams pick up on waivers. You're probably looking for a Granlund who you can get some minutes out of, and maybe even get 20g in the right role. That'd be a waiver-wire success story.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Would definitely like to see the Canucks pick Heed off waivers and give him a chance. Don't think it's going to happen.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Bill Karlsson wasn't a waiver wire pickup though. He was an expansion draft pickup.

Guys just coming out of absolutely nowhere to become a star like that is exceedingly rare in the first place, but off the waiver wire basically just doesn't happen. Last guy i can think of plucked off waivers to do anything seriously good, was Grabner. And we all know what he is, and the way he was moved out of here.

Unfortunately, we're kinda stuck to Gagner. Nobody is claiming him with that awful contract, and in the meantime...he's at least shown that as a filler in the right scoring role, he can be a 40-50pt liability.

But you seem to think Granlund is a guy to cut bait with. Whereas i think Markus Granlund is actually probably a pretty good example of what you can realistically hope for out of a waiver wire pickup. Though obviously we traded some other waiver fodder for him...that's the sort of player you're realistically hoping to get out of a waiver claim like that. A filler guy who can kinda play and maybe chip in productively here and there. Not a William Karlsson, but those aren't the guys teams pick up on waivers. You're probably looking for a Granlund who you can get some minutes out of, and maybe even get 20g in the right role. That'd be a waiver-wire success story.
Agreed.... Granlund is a player who scored 19 G and 32 Pts a year ago would be snapped up in a heartbeat on the waiver wire.(probably by Nashville or Pittsburgh)..He's a useful player when given the opportunity....Although the' experts' on here who thought that Brendan Gaunce was the 'end all,be all' might beg to differ.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Agreed.... Granlund is a player who scored 19 G and 32 Pts a year ago would be snapped up in a heartbeat on the waiver wire.(probably by Nashville or Pittsburgh)..He's a useful player when given the opportunity....Although the' experts' on here who thought that Brendan Gaunce was the 'end all,be all' might beg to differ.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with Gaunce either. He's a serviceable NHL player. But that's the sort of guy you're probably going to get if you're scooping dudes off the waiver wire. Someone who can maybe play 10 completely non-eventful minutes a night, and score a point every 6-10 games or something. Not a guy who is going to really move the needle on the W-L column.

There was a time when this team had a bunch of elite top-end talent, but would've killed for a cheap but effective depth player like Gaunce (who you can regularly find on the waiver wire), or Granlund especially. But right now...we've got depth players coming out our ears, just lacking the actual horses to compete at the top of the depth chart. Just that the waiver wire isn't where you "fix" a rebuilding team.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I mean, there's nothing wrong with Gaunce either. He's a serviceable NHL player. But that's the sort of guy you're probably going to get if you're scooping dudes off the waiver wire. Someone who can maybe play 10 completely non-eventful minutes a night, and score a point every 6-10 games or something. Not a guy who is going to really move the needle on the W-L column.

There was a time when this team had a bunch of elite top-end talent, but would've killed for a cheap but effective depth player like Gaunce (who you can regularly find on the waiver wire), or Granlund especially. But right now...we've got depth players coming out our ears, just lacking the actual horses to compete at the top of the depth chart. Just that the waiver wire isn't where you "fix" a rebuilding team.
No,he's not...He can't hit ,he's not physical,he can't make a play,and he can't score....the dream is over...

Last edited:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks probably won't pick anybody up, even though some of the waived players might help. Canucks aren't willing to admit they have issues, yet. Unless they undergo a massive attitude change, they'll go winless for a long time. Longer than Green's got, I bet.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Canucks probably won't pick anybody up, even though some of the waived players might help. Canucks aren't willing to admit they have issues, yet. Unless they undergo a massive attitude change, they'll go winless for a long time. Longer than Green's got, I bet.
When you are the best talent evaluator in the league, it stands to reason, anyone on another team's waivers must be inferior to anyone you have on your own team's and therefore not worth picking up.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

What does it matter that KArlsson wasn't a waiver pickup? It's the same kind of thing; he is exactly the kind of player that is on waivers all the time and probably would have been waived at some point had Vegas not entered the league. Use Jonathan Marchessault then as a guy who was on waivers at some point (but unclaimed.) Your pool of comparables needs to include players who passed through unclaimed.

The reason you have few examples of someone getting claimed and becoming good is because players simply never get claimed period. Teams suffer from the endowment effect which was my whole point to begin with. I agree that a guy like Granlund is your most likely result but if you don't fall in love with him and cut him after 50 games then you can try someone else. Eventually you might hit on something. Teams just don't do this because they fall in love with their own waiver-wire players and don't want to try something new. I bet if you went through the players who passed through waivers over the past 3 years there are some serious gems, Marchessault simply being the first one that came to mind (well, second, because I can't remember if KArlsson ever did or not.)

As for Gagner ... heh.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Getting someone better than Pouliot shouldn't be hard. At the very least, someone like Pouliot that hasn't been tried and failed. The depth on this team isn't exactly good, Motte made the team and he'd be on waivers in STL, he will probably be our 3rd line.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Getting someone better than Pouliot shouldn't be hard. At the very least, someone like Pouliot that hasn't been tried and failed. The depth on this team isn't exactly good, Motte made the team and he'd be on waivers in STL, he will probably be our 3rd line.

No no, according to Bennings interview today, he's had a good camp, and should be paired with Gudbranson :thumbu:

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
What does it matter that KArlsson wasn't a waiver pickup? It's the same kind of thing; he is exactly the kind of player that is on waivers all the time and probably would have been waived at some point had Vegas not entered the league. Use Jonathan Marchessault then as a guy who was on waivers at some point (but unclaimed.) Your pool of comparables needs to include players who passed through unclaimed.

The reason you have few examples of someone getting claimed and becoming good is because players simply never get claimed period. Teams suffer from the endowment effect which was my whole point to begin with. I agree that a guy like Granlund is your most likely result but if you don't fall in love with him and cut him after 50 games then you can try someone else. Eventually you might hit on something. Teams just don't do this because they fall in love with their own waiver-wire players and don't want to try something new. I bet if you went through the players who passed through waivers over the past 3 years there are some serious gems, Marchessault simply being the first one that came to mind (well, second, because I can't remember if KArlsson ever did or not.)

Sorry, but future 30 or 40 goal scorers are not the kind of players that are "on waivers all the time". And it is not because such players fail to get picked up off waivers. It is because players on waivers by and large are not good enough to play in the NHL. Players that clear waivers generally get a chance to play in the AHL. Any player that can pot 30 plus goals in the big show should be able to dominate in the minor leagues and would eventually get called up again. But most waiver wire fodder does not dominate in the AHL. They are waiver wire fodder because they suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00