Proposal: Wade Redden

MadMen88

Oct 19, 2011
This is merely hearsay, but I think a guy like Wade Redden would really help us in a place we really need it. Our d is thin, one Bogo injury and it looks pretty average if you ask me. I think we're one more d-man away from being able to defend and take leads more often. Now I highly doubt this could happen, but what do you guys think about Redden and the jets defence in general with just two sleeps till opening day? So jacked! Go jets.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd gladly give him a shot.
Price has to be right, around 1M or so. Can't imagine he'll be holding out or money since he's also being paid by the rangers.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I wouldn't. Doesn't sound like his heart is in the game anymore imho. 35 years old. Contemplating retirement, got married in 2008 and has wife and kids now. He's done I think, has probably already told himself to take the buyout as a retirement package. Good for him, have a happy life Wade.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I wouldn't. Doesn't sound like his heart is in the game anymore imho. 35 years old. Contemplating retirement, got married in 2008 and has wife and kids now. He's done I think, has probably already told himself to take the buyout as a retirement package. Good for him, have a happy life Wade.

Doesn't sound like he was ready for retirement. The whole reason they came up with this early buyout stuff was so he and Gomez would be able to play somewhere. If he simply wanted to retire it wouldn't matter to him if the Rangers sent him home for the year. His agent was involved in the agreement reached to solve the issue.

As for his ability, that I question. Its not like he was lighting it up in the AHL for the past few years.

But there are a number of veteran free agents we could take a look at. Arnott, Sykora etc.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am not a fan of bringing Redden in.......I will wish all the best for Wade but I would prefer we take a pass.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The Caps forwards skated around him like he was a pylon when the Whale were here in Nov 2011. He looked horrible

I was just going to say something similar in that I would think every AHL organization should be able to provide their parent club with enough info on whether or not Redden has anything left in the tank. If he gets passed by and no one offers him a league minimum deal, it's obvious to 30 organizations that he's done.

I personally don't see how he's a help anyway. He's a 5-6 at best, and we have more 5-6 D men right now than we can roster (Stuart, Clitsome, Postma, Meech, and Redmond). Even with Stuart temporarily filling in on the 2nd pair, is Redden going to be better than 3 of Clitsome, Postma, Meech and Redmond? And in the case of Postma and Redmond, he sure would have to be substantially better than both of them in my mind to make it worthwhile not to give the icetime and opportunity to the younger player.

If we are able to get another defenseman, I think he has to be a surefire second pair guy. An upgrade on Stuart at the least, so when Bogo came back Stuart could go back to the 3rd pair, or an upgrade on Hainsey, so that Stuart could go back now, and then when Bogo came back, Hainsey would go back to the 3rd pair with Stuart.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The Caps forwards skated around him like he was a pylon when the Whale were here in Nov 2011. He looked horrible

I have heard he's got some type of degenerative hip condition and now hes like Zoolander; can't turn left.

If he's getting turn-styled in the A, that's probably why.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Not even worthy of discussion if you ask me. Completely contrary to what we, on these boards, often discuss as being the model of what the Jets want to do moving forward.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I was just going to say something similar in that I would think every AHL organization should be able to provide their parent club with enough info on whether or not Redden has anything left in the tank. If he gets passed by and no one offers him a league minimum deal, it's obvious to 30 organizations that he's done.

I personally don't see how he's a help anyway. He's a 5-6 at best, and we have more 5-6 D men right now than we can roster (Stuart, Clitsome, Postma, Meech, and Redmond). Even with Stuart temporarily filling in on the 2nd pair, is Redden going to be better than 3 of Clitsome, Postma, Meech and Redmond? And in the case of Postma and Redmond, he sure would have to be substantially better than both of them in my mind to make it worthwhile not to give the icetime and opportunity to the younger player.

If we are able to get another defenseman, I think he has to be a surefire second pair guy. An upgrade on Stuart at the least, so when Bogo came back Stuart could go back to the 3rd pair, or an upgrade on Hainsey, so that Stuart could go back now, and then when Bogo came back, Hainsey would go back to the 3rd pair with Stuart.

Redden was at one time a pretty good defenceman, but I have to agree with this. If he's not a step up from our bottom pairing guys, making him able to step into our top 4 with ease when we need him to, then he's really of no use to us.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011

Were in trouble. Ladd is married and had a kid yesterday. I guess he will retire now.
Of course his heart was not into it. He had to play in the minors with no chance
of being called up.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't believe the 'heart's not in it' theory at all.

The hip thing is more believable and if that is true, obviously he is done. I guess we will see if it's just money on Saturday.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The Jets have always said they want to build via the draft and build from within. I don't see them going after someone like Redden.

35 years old

His last few years of salary

2008-09 $8,000,000
2009-10 $8,000,000
2010-11 $6,500,000
2011-12 $6,500,000
2012-13 $5,000,000
2013-14 $5,000,000

Even if was still a good player, what is the minimum salary he would take to play here? $3M $4M ?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The Jets have always said they want to build via the draft and build from within. I don't see them going after someone like Redden.

35 years old

His last few years of salary

2008-09 $8,000,000
2009-10 $8,000,000
2010-11 $6,500,000
2011-12 $6,500,000
2012-13 $5,000,000
2013-14 $5,000,000

Even if was still a good player, what is the minimum salary he would take to play here? $3M $4M ?

He won't get signed by anyone above about 1MM I would guess

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I also see it as a 1 year 1m deal for him to prove he can still play. Frankly, my only interest in acquiring him is IF he can help us while Bogo is out.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Ed Tait ‏@WFPEdTait

Just for the record, the #NHLJets have no interest in veteran defenceman Wade Redden. #bn

That kind of defuses this debate.

I really would feel much more comfortable if we signed/picked-up a serviceable D-man to fill Bogo's spot until he returns (although IMO Redden would not be the man to do this regardless). Doesn't have to be anything fancy... I just have a huge lack of faith in Stuart to take those second pairing minutes.

Che vy Teemuchuk

May 31, 2011
John Labatt Centre
We have no spot for Redden. We need a guy who can play hard minutes. Our D doesn't merely look average without Bogo, it looks horrid IMO from a defensive standpoint. Heck, at this point I'd be happy with a clone of Stuart so we can have somebody with some pop to play on both the 2nd and 3rd pairing. If Clitsome decides this is the year he becomes a real consistent NHL defenceman then my worries are over. But I look at our D right now and want to throw up.

The forwards are playoff material. The D is great for puck movement and offense. But the friggin' Oilers have a better chance of keeping the puck out of the net than our Bogo-less D corps.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Well I'm both a Rangers fan and a Jets fan. I was pretty happy that we're finally getting him off the books, so if he did end up coming to Winnipeg, that would be a big ole /facepalm for me. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad