Wackiest/Weirdest Bruin ever

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Joe Murphy was a short-timer in the 90's but I'm pretty sure he was a certified nut job. And who can forget John Grahame blowing the no.1 goalie job for the B's by getting knocked out in the middle of the street outside of Daisy Buchanan's one night, breaking his ankle.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Schmautzie was supposedly certifiably crazy. Don Cherry tells a story about how Schmautz and O'Reilly were fighting over a vise in the stickroom in Montreal, and Schmautz went after Terry with a blowtorch he was going to use to "customize*" his stick blade. Terry countered with the hacksaw he was using to trim his.

*Customize for Schmautz meant to put on a curve that resembled the Storrow Drive Fenway exit. When Schmautz wound up at top of the circles, the first two rows of the balcony all ducked.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Nevin Markwart certainly seemed crazy based on the way he played, but IIRC he was a very intelligent guy in the real world.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Forgot about this guy

Here is a hint ?

He sang at the Edmonton Oilers reunion and Mark Messier on stage before introducing him runs through his accomplishments before he comes on to the stage - it's something and Messier gets quite emotional

(There is a video of it somewhere on YouTube)

Another hint

He only played for Boston

Final hint

He supposedly was Katarina Witt 'guy' when he was in Germany

The story Messier told puts this guy on the medal stand (no pun intended)

My money says Fenway gets this in 1 second

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Forgot about this guy

Here is a hint ?

He sang at the Edmonton Oilers reunion and Mark Messier on stage before introducing him runs through his accomplishments before he comes on to the stage - it's something and Messier gets quite emotional

(There is a video of it somewhere on YouTube)

Another hint

He only played for Boston

Final hint

He supposedly was Katarina Witt 'guy' when he was in Germany

The story Messier told puts this guy on the medal stand (no pun intended)

Kraig Nienhuis

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Schmautzie was supposedly certifiably crazy. Don Cherry tells a story about how Schmautz and O'Reilly were fighting over a vise in the stickroom in Montreal, and Schmautz went after Terry with a blowtorch he was going to use to "customize*" his stick blade. Terry countered with the hacksaw he was using to trim his.

*Customize for Schmautz meant to put on a curve that resembled the Storrow Drive Fenway exit. When Schmautz wound up at top of the circles, the first two rows of the balcony all ducked.

O'Reilly says Schmautz scared him. Now that's saying something.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
O'Reilly says Schmautz scared him. Now that's saying something.

Someone told me Schmautz was the inspiration for Tim "Doctor Hook" McCracken in Slap Shot. He certainly had that look. Now whether Schmautz ever wielded his stick with scalpel-like prowess and "carved a man's eye out with a flick of the wrist", I don't know. Maybe in the minors. :laugh:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Eddie Shack. Most people agree he is the weirdest guy to ever play pro hockey.

Gilles Gilbert I guess was weird too.

I have a picture hanging in my room of my grandfathers softball after they won a tournament. Eddie Shack is also in the photo, he came to my home town in like 1975.

My grandfather died very young (47) in 1993, I was 3 so I never really remembered him. It's cool to have a photo like that, and i had no idea that it was Eddie Shack until years later.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

nienhuiskbosph001.jpg

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

ha ha ..... isn't that the truth.

If the goals were placed in the balcony, old Bobby would have scored an extra 10-15 goals a year!:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad