Value of: W. Nylander for Parayko

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
No way a prospect, unless named Matthews, will get a very young defenseman like Parayko.

I'd give up anyone on the Leafs not named Matthews or Rielly for Parayko

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Reading comprehension much? Parayko is worth more than Rielly, Nylander or Marner. In order to get him, they would have to trade 2 of them which would not be good for the Leafs.

It's an incredibly fair assessment to say those three pieces aren't enough by themselves and an incredibly fair assessment to say two of those pieces would be too much.

But no, get mad at me.

I think that statement says enough about your clear and obvious bias. Parayko had a similar offensive season to Rielly despite playing 4 less minutes per game. In addition to the similar offense, Parayko's defensive ability and physical attributes are vastly superior to Rielly's. Lastly, Parayko is right handed which is the more valuable handedness.

But when you factor differences in quality of comp and quality of teammates surely you can understand why we'd rather just keep Rielly right? I mean I wouldn't trade him for Parayko.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
No way a prospect, unless named Matthews, will get a very young defenseman like Parayko.

I'd give up anyone on the Leafs not named Matthews or Rielly for Parayko

I'm sure you would.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Agreed Parayko has entered the realm of irrational homerism...well not that irrational but you get what I mean

His ceiling is just too high to trade. Imagine how good he gets if he improves after his rookie year. He's everything you look for in a Dman. Big, strong, fast, good skater, passing, cannon of a shot.. And he loves the game and wants to get better. Even though he isn't overly physical, I did see him throw numerous big checks this past season. He's more phyiscal that Petro currently and I think he will get even more physical too.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Aside from it not being close in value, fill us in on Nylander's playoff success.

McDavid has 0 playoff success
Gaudreau has 0 playoff success
Ovechkin has 0 playoff success
Once upon a time Gretzky had 0 playoff success

Literally the most useless metric you could pick

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
McDavid has 0 playoff success
Gaudreau has 0 playoff success
Ovechkin has 0 playoff success
Once upon a time Gretzky had 0 playoff success

Literally the most useless metric you could pick

The OP states the blues could use playoff scoring. It's a legitimate question to ask how Nylander helps that, given he hasn't played an NHL game yet, let alone a playoff one.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The OP states the blues could use playoff scoring. It's a legitimate question to ask how Nylander helps that, given he hasn't played an NHL game yet, let alone a playoff one.

I don't think there's anything special about playoff scoring vs regular season scoring. One is over a very long time, and the other is over a very short time. This gives plenty of space for stories.

Nylander played in the NHL last year.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014

Not to be nit picky here but you might want to check your facts before you make a statement like nylander hasn't played an nhl game yet. As far as how does he help with playoff scoring? He likely doesn't. Not in the short term anyways

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Not to be nit picky here but you might want to check your facts before you make a statement like nylander hasn't played an nhl game yet. As far as how does he help with playoff scoring? He likely doesn't. Not in the short term anyways

prob meant NHL playoff game.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't think there's anything special about playoff scoring vs regular season scoring. One is over a very long time, and the other is over a very short time. This gives plenty of space for stories.

Nylander played in the NHL last year.

There absolutely is a difference between regular season and playoffs. Teams can focus all their defensive efforts on your scoring players. Your playing the same guys a minimum of 4 games. They learn your habits and strategies quickly

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

was I dreaming that entire 22 game stint last year?

so much wrong with this comment

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Pronger wasn't nearly as tough as people thought. His size gave him an advantage, but without his slashing ability, he wasn't all that tough. He was ounry, but not all that tough. But man, he would slash the hell out of you.
While I do see Parayko being stronger than Rielly as an all-round D, I do wonder if he's as troublesome as Pronger in one-on-one situations. If so, I'm going to have to watch him a lot more.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
While I do see Parayko being stronger than Rielly as an all-round D, I do wonder if he's as troublesome as Pronger in one-on-one situations. If so, I'm going to have to watch him a lot more.

Ive never agreed with the Pronger comparison(granted I was really young when Pronger was on Stl). Parayko is far more cerebral in his dzone play, he prefers to use his stick LEGALLY when defending. His, what I imagine to be 10ft+ reach is masterful at stripping the puck from forwards. He also displays an excellent amount of acumen in dzone coverage and exits. Sometimes I'd catch myself asking "wtf is he doing" then a few seconds later, it'll make sense. His defensive reads are quite amazing.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
was I dreaming that entire 22 game stint last year?

so much wrong with this comment

Sorry, leafs aren't on much in LA, and I honestly woulsnt have a desire to watch anyway. There was one thing wrong with the comment - and still Noone can answer how Nylander helps with NHL playoff scoring.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Ive never agreed with the Pronger comparison(granted I was really young when Pronger was on Stl). Parayko is far more cerebral in his dzone play, he prefers to use his stick LEGALLY when defending. His, what I imagine to be 10ft+ reach is masterful at stripping the puck from forwards. He also displays an excellent amount of acumen in dzone coverage and exits. Sometimes I'd catch myself asking "wtf is he doing" then a few seconds later, it'll make sense. His defensive reads are quite amazing.
That's what I gathered. I can see that he's a pretty cerebral defenseman and possesses immense size.

Sort of like Hjalmarsson in terms of his cerebral, positional game but his better offensive upside.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Sorry, leafs aren't on much in LA, and I honestly woulsnt have a desire to watch anyway. There was one thing wrong with the comment - and still Noone can answer how Nylander helps with NHL playoff scoring.

Kind of the same way McDavid doesn't help with playoff scoring? Or Subban last season?

Kind of a dumb way to devalue a player IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad