W Jerry Turkulainen - JYP, Liiga (2017 undrafted)

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015

Just look at this kid, what a beauty!

Turkulainen is a late '98 who just had a great draft year in Liiga. I haven't seen anything of him except for this highlight video but man am I hyped. Great skating, great vision, and he plays the right way.

I have him late in my top 31 and he's only partly there as clickbait. His production is just a little under Rantanen level although he's just tiny. I'm pulling for him!

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
He is for sure skilled player but he is tiny. I mean, really tiny and that's why I don't think he will be drafted.

I wrote this to https://finnprospects.com/player/jerry-turkulainen/ during January
Turkulainen is a pure skill player and he needs to play in an offensive role. In a game against KalPa he played an entertaining game. He made some great dekes, made precise passes and showed great work ethic. His hockey IQ also seemed to be really good and forward was able to create scoring opportunities often.

His size is obviously his biggest weakness and Turkulainen got easily knocked off balance. However he tried to compensate his weakness by going into the dirty areas. His top speed isn’t especially great either but his acceleration is great and he is agile on skates.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
We really like this kid, he's ranked probably higher than anyone else has him (if they do rank him, mostly we've seen him completely ignored) in our draft guide and has a detailed write-up showing off his strengths. He might go undrafted due to size, but we think he is a rare case where he has a chance at outplaying his size limitations. Another thing most probably don't know, he also seems to utilize a longer stick which makes reach less of an issue for him.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I was shocked he wasn't picked up in the 2017 draft. Sure he's tiny but no smaller than Gaudreau at the same age. Sure, most players his size will never make it but it's not like he's playing in junior against teenagers, he's a top-6 scorer in the top league in a very good hockey nation. He's shown he can score against fully developped men so I don't see why he's such a "risk" at his size.

He'll have to tear it up next season and try again.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I was shocked he wasn't picked up in the 2017 draft. Sure he's tiny but no smaller than Gaudreau at the same age. Sure, most players his size will never make it but it's not like he's playing in junior against teenagers, he's a top-6 scorer in the top league in a very good hockey nation. He's shown he can score against fully developped men so I don't see why he's such a "risk" at his size.

He'll have to tear it up next season and try again.

Actually, way smaller (as in height) what Gaudreau, Turkulainen is barely 5 foot 7, he is even shorter than Alex DeBrincat (by 1-2 cm).

Jyssy

Jan 2, 2004
Jyväskylä, Finland
has anyone seen him play lately?
Playing on a senior citizen team that can't win a game to save their life. Plays on a line with David Tomasek and those two are our best players hands down. Jerry has had bad luck with scoring, has hit the post like 10 times already this season.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Playing on a senior citizen team that can't win a game to save their life. Plays on a line with David Tomasek and those two are our best players hands down. Jerry has had bad luck with scoring, has hit the post like 10 times already this season.

that's surprising... I remember being really surprised he wasnt picked in 2017 (I think?) he seemed to have a really high skill level and racked up points.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
11-31-42 in 58 games last season. Sounds like he'd have at least gotten a development camp invite at some point or, had last year been a normal season, an AHL look at the end of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad