W Hunter Smith - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2014, 54th overall, Calgary)

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
A couple months back, Blues blogger Andy Strickland mentioned a 1995 birthday player named Hunter Smith, who at 15 was already 6 foot 5. Since then I've looked for any information about him and haven't been able to find any. What really interested me was that Strickland mentioned some scouts were comparing Smith to Lindros.

Does anyone have any info on him? Is it possible I have the wrong date for him?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Yeah, Windsor grabbed him in the 2nd round. His uncle is Brad Smith, otherwise known as Motor City Smitty the former NHL player. Here's a little article about him that was written around the time of the OHL draft. It sounds like he could be a good one, his uncle says in the article that despite his size he's not a project - he can play now. I guess we'll see in september.

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Windsor+Smith+prospect+draft/4721285/story.html

Kid's going to be huge. 6 foot 6 and 210 already? At 15! That's nuts.

I don't exactly recall what height I was at that age but I don't think I was that tall yet and I'm 6 foot 9, 270 at 20. He could very well hit 6 foot 8.

Thanks for the article.

OHLSpitfireInsider

Mar 13, 2013
Re: HUNTER SMITH

he is now playing for the OHL Oshawa Generals he is 18 and is 6 foot 7 if he is still that tall. he is not the best skater and dose not fully use all of his size to hit people he can occasionally fight and has been in and out of the Oshawa line up (healthy scratch)

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
Not trying to be a correcting jerk, but Hunter Smith does not get healthy scratched. He has only missed 3 games this season, all in early November, and all with the flu.

I wouldn't be surprised to see someone take a late round flyer on him. He's having a breakout season. His first two OHL campaigns he had 1G/1A in 45 games. This season he has 21 pts in 27 games.

stayinalive

Jul 29, 2012
He was also one of the youngest players in last years draft. If he would have been 4 days younger he would not have been eligible last year. I guess at this point it is likely someone drafts him 5th-7th round.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
He isn't going to last past the second round now. Plain and simple. Especially with all the scouts going to see Dal Colle all year.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'm thinking he goes no higher than 4th round.

Unless a team with a ton of picks in the first 3 rounds take him, his upside is quite questionable.

I see AHLer tbh.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
2nd or 3rd round IMO. He's a pretty good player. Effective on the boards, protects the puck and can distribute a bit off the walls. He has a lot of upside with his size and he didn't look like a terrible skater in the games I saw (actually pretty good, closed space well). He has decent hockey sense. Give him some time to adjust to his body and I think he could be a valuable NHLer.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I would be pretty please if the Flames took him with their late 2nd/early 3rd. They need an actual natural RW in the prospect pool and they're trying to get bigger. The guy can obviously put up points and hits when the pressure is on, as well as getting exponentially better. Plus, truculence, and Burke likes a fighter.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I would be pretty please if the Flames took him with their late 2nd/early 3rd. They need an actual natural RW in the prospect pool and they're trying to get bigger. The guy can obviously put up points and hits when the pressure is on, as well as getting exponentially better. Plus, truculence, and Burke likes a fighter.

This whole sequence made Burkie move him up the draft list : From Friday's game.

:laugh:

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA

This whole sequence made Burkie move him up the draft list : From Friday's game.

:laugh:

That's straight out of NHL 14 right there. "They're giving him confused looks out there. First he scores and now he's fighting!"

That being said, we could use a natural RW on the fourth line for when Grats goes. If it turns out he can score too I'd be ecstatic. RW power-forwards are the best. :toothless

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I'll bet you he doesn't get picked before the end of the 2nd round.

Bet what? I don't really care if he does or not, just what I think. It will be early 3rd if not 2nd, there will be a ton of scouts at each table pressing for him I bet.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Bet what? I don't really care if he does or not, just what I think. It will be early 3rd if not 2nd, there will be a ton of scouts at each table pressing for him I bet.

I would tend to agree.

For comparison's sake, Justin Auger was drafted in the 4th round last year. He was a draft overager (or re-entry) and a forward who has a similar body type and size to Smith.

However, I would much prefer Smith as a pro prospect (and this is coming from someone who actually believes in Auger's NHL potential).

Smith is the more physically dominant and assertive player. He's also a better goal scorer in close and more fearless in going to the areas you want your behemoth wingers to go.

I think I'd be surprised at this point (given how well he's played in the playoffs) if Smith isn't at least a 3rd rounder.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com

I see teams looking for another Josh Anderson in Smith. He's been steadily improving and becoming more impressive throughout the season and now into the playoffs.

Early 3rd round, and with this year's draft could see him pushing 2nd.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Watched him in the North Bay series and honestly thought he was DJ's son considering the important minutes the guy played.

His stats show that he improved greatly this year and really benefited from playing with Dal Colle and Laughton. But I saw a bad hockey player. I saw a big player who can skate OK and that's about it. He didn't play well under pressure, couldn't pass, couldn't shoot and got his ass knocked around by guys half his size.

I hope a team like Calgary burns a second rounder on him. He's a bust through and through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad