W Givani Smith - Guelph Storm, OHL (2016, 46th, DET)

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Just got home from the Attack home opener. He was probably the best player on the ice(although that's not saying too much with these two teams right now haha), so I figured he deserves a thread.

Brother of Gemel(2012 Dallas Stars draft pick).

Big(I think he's closer to 6'3'' than the 6'1'' he's listed at), fast, pretty good hands, physical and chippy.

It really depends on how his offense develops, but I could see him going in the 2nd-4th area.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Smith can be a handful to deal with for opposing teams.

A beast down low, he can really get some dirty hardworking goals around the net.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Just got home from the Attack home opener. He was probably the best player on the ice(although that's not saying too much with these two teams right now haha), so I figured he deserves a thread.

Brother of Gemel(2012 Dallas Stars draft pick).

Big(I think he's closer to 6'3'' than the 6'1'' he's listed at), fast, pretty good hands, physical and chippy.

It really depends on how his offense develops, but I could see him going in the 2nd-4th area.

We like him.:)

LINK

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Just watched him play the Kitchener Rangers. He was the best player on the ice. Had a hat trick too.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I really think he can be a steal, especially if he goes past the 3rd round. Such a tenacious player with great determination and pretty good hands around the net.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
His skating needs some serious work.. turns like an 18 wheeler right now! First few strides are quite sticky too... but when he is going, he can absolutely power off the wing right to the net and also take it to the net from behind the goal line, don't see a ton of kids these days being able to do that. Just has to focus on playing that game all the time and improving his skating!

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
He will be picked in the second round. Mark my words. He may not bring the highest skillset but he brings a style of game that very few players current play as.

He could be a really solid third line grinding winger who will hit, fight and chip in the occasional goal. Or he could be a complimentary top six winger.

Reactions: mantha39

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He will be picked in the second round. Mark my words. He may not bring the highest skillset but he brings a style of game that very few players current play as.

He could be a really solid third line grinding winger who will hit, fight and chip in the occasional goal. Or he could be a complimentary top six winger.

Joel Ward? :sarcasm:

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
habs need that kinf of players.I could see a line with DLR/Lessio-McCarron-Smith

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What do Guelph fans think of this pick? Did the wings draft the toughest player in the draft?

The wings have been drafting meaner lately, I think this guy could definitely become a fan favourite somewhere down the road

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
What do Guelph fans think of this pick? Did the wings draft the toughest player in the draft?

The wings have been drafting meaner lately, I think this guy could definitely become a fan favourite somewhere down the road

Sounds like Tyler Bertuzzi 2.0 to me.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sounds like Tyler Bertuzzi 2.0 to me.

Thats the vibe I get as well. Might be enough skill there to play up in a line up someday as a net front/corners/protect stars type of player but could have real value on a third line too.

Guelph fans would be able to make that comparison a little better though

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Thats the vibe I get as well. Might be enough skill there to play up in a line up someday as a net front/corners/protect stars type of player but could have real value on a third line too.

Guelph fans would be able to make that comparison a little better though

Late to the party but I'm a Guelph fan so I've seen Bertuzzi and Smith a lot. Smith > Bertuzzi. Both are the agitators you speak of but Smith's size and frame along with his skating make him really hard on the puck. He'll score more goals than Bert. He's the prototypical power forward. Bertuzzi's upside is that he really feeds off of the adrenaline in big games - performs best in the playoffs. He had a lot of concussions in junior and I anticipate that this could hamper his scoring a bit in the NHL as he'll be crashing and banging against larger opponents. I see Bert as 3rd/4th complimentary and Smith as top 6. Smith has improved a lot from last season to this season... he's already got a couple of hat tricks. He's playing on the top line, lots of PIMS but OHL reffing is horrible and most fans will tell you he gets calls that wouldn't go to other players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad