W Emerson Etem (2010, 29th overall, Anaheim)

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Playing with the WHL Medicine Hat Tigers. Listed as 6'0 194 pounds. So far in 13 games, has 9 goals and 2 assists and 11PIMS. Last year he had 33 points in 40 games for the US U18 team.

Anyone know more about this kid? Style of play, skating, hands and work ethic? How physical does he play?

Thanks!

Tiger Trauma

Sep 5, 2006
Medicine Hat
old.reddit.com
Watched all his games with the tigers.

I think the first thing I noticed about him was his unique skating stride. He has a very low center of gravity and really pushes out those legs, it almost looks like he is falling at times, and it seems to mask his speed a bit(at least watching from up top), as he is really fast.

He looks like he is built real solidly, and will take punishment to make a play. I've seen him get crunched a couple times just to make a good quality pass out of the zone, and he doesn't seem phased by it nor, gets intimidated the next time around.

He Isn't overly physical, but uses his size very efectively

He likes to go wide and drive to the net, and often gets a good scoring chance. He has a long reach and I think a bunch of his goals have developed from well placed shots and being in the right position at the right times.

He seems to have great offensive instincts around the net.
Maybe post more later after I watch him play the Rebels tonight.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Awesome! THanks Tiger! :handclap:

Based on his numbers it loks like it is pretty obvious that he is more of a goal scorer.

Certainly an intruiging prospect that I will try to keep my eye on...

Tiger Trauma

Sep 5, 2006
Medicine Hat
old.reddit.com
Another goal and 2 assists. His goal was shorthanded. Picked the puck up from the corner, walked out in front and used his long reach to wrap the puck around the Goaltender.

One knack on his game:

A little too often he has his head down and just notices a guy coming to hit him at the last second. Hopefully he learns to watch out for those dangerous spots along the boards before a heavy hitter really lines up on him.

Last edited:

Ami

What we've said about him earlier this year:

One prospect that is off to a solid start is Medicine Hat Tigers forward Emerson Etem, who came over from the US National Team Development programs U17 team. He is close to being a point-per-game player for the Tigers. The smooth skating centre is just average sized at just under six-foot but is strong for his size and uses his physical abilities to his benefit. His shot is very effective as he has a good release and gets it on net regularly.

Etem is an underrated goal scorer with a nice set of hands who can finish in close. The Long Beach, CA. native is just getting his feet wet in the WHL and could have a very good year and end up in first round talk by next April.

Taken from our CHL article on the 2010 NHL Entry Draft:
http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wordpress.com/2009/10/18/chl-to-supply-top-end-of-nhl-entry-draft/

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
last name sounds "suspiciously" African(particularly nigerian)

hmmm...

p2242794.jpg

Mystery solved? :sarcasm:

Kingler

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Would be nice for an LA kid to be drafted by the LA team during the draft that is taking place in LA.

But this kid is heading north of top 15, and the Kings (hopefully) is heading the other direction. Still, if we could trade up to draft him that would make a nice story

Rommel

Apr 29, 2009
Recife
Would be nice for an LA kid to be drafted by the LA team during the draft that is taking place in LA.

But this kid is heading north of top 15, and the Kings (hopefully) is heading the other direction. Still, if we could trade up to draft him that would make a nice story

It would be great.

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
I'd heard alot about him before last nights Hitmen/Tigers game, and I came away very impressed. He's aggressive and relentless in his pursuit of the puck. He quick on his skates and it doesn't take him long to hit his top gear, which is exceptionally fast. Played on the PK and PP. On the PP he parked himself infront of the net, even though he doesn't really have the physique to play that role. It resulted in him banging home a goal. Seems to play in all situations, and has a good sense for the game.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
I'd heard alot about him before last nights Hitmen/Tigers game, and I came away very impressed. He's aggressive and relentless in his pursuit of the puck. He quick on his skates and it doesn't take him long to hit his top gear, which is exceptionally fast. Played on the PK and PP. On the PP he parked himself infront of the net, even though he doesn't really have the physique to play that role. It resulted in him banging home a goal. Seems to play in all situations, and has a good sense for the game.

I'll disagree somewhat.

He certainly has his role on the power play and that's to position himself in front of the net then slide out a bit and create some space for himself in the high slot. He's effective in doing that.

As mentioned before, he does have a unique skating stride which works for him now, but I have a feeling a professional team might try to tinker with it to see if he can get a little bit more speed out of his frame.

I went in expecting to see a potential first rounder and left with the opinion that he can go in the first round, but - like others - there are some holes in his game that need to be addressed. He wasn't as strong on the puck as I was expecting to see, for instance.

He was named the game's third star, but I don't know if he had his best game with him. Willie Desjardins even sat him for the majority of OT, including a two minute 4-on-3 power play. If he's having a good night, he's out there for two the full two minutes, considering his third in goals as a rookie in the league.

Now, all that said, he does look like he has the potential to be a first rounder. He handles the media well too. I talked to him postgame. If you'd like to hear the audio of Etem, just click the following link:
http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wo...fc-exclusive-etem-up-a-tiger-out-of-his-cage/

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
I'll disagree somewhat.

He certainly has his role on the power play and that's to position himself in front of the net then slide out a bit and create some space for himself in the high slot. He's effective in doing that.

As mentioned before, he does have a unique skating stride which works for him now, but I have a feeling a professional team might try to tinker with it to see if he can get a little bit more speed out of his frame.

I went in expecting to see a potential first rounder and left with the opinion that he can go in the first round, but - like others - there are some holes in his game that need to be addressed. He wasn't as strong on the puck as I was expecting to see, for instance.

He was named the game's third star, but I don't know if he had his best game with him. Willie Desjardins even sat him for the majority of OT, including a two minute 4-on-3 power play. If he's having a good night, he's out there for two the full two minutes, considering his third in goals as a rookie in the league.

Now, all that said, he does look like he has the potential to be a first rounder. He handles the media well too. I talked to him postgame. If you'd like to hear the audio of Etem, just click the following link:
http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wo...fc-exclusive-etem-up-a-tiger-out-of-his-cage/

I was under the asumption as well that he may not have had his best game because of what you said in the fact he didn't play a shift in OT. But if that's a subpar game for him, it was still a pretty decent showing.

While he did go infront of the net on the PP, he did seem to be quick to get rid of the puck in the corner when confronted physically. Not that he backed down, he just seemed that he wanted to get rid of the puck quicker when being harassed. I guess in a way, he was selectively courageous.

His start up stride is kind of awkward looking I thought, but once he got going, he propelled himself pretty well. It's his stops and starts that keep him from being an elite skater.

Intruiging prospect nonetheless.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
An interesting prospect, yes.

A potential first rounder? Yes.

But like most first rounders outside the top few prospects, each has characteristics they need to address before they make the jump. He's got time, and ahead of schedule on his development I would say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad